Honaunau-Napoopoo, HAWAII

Camping Hawaii Honaunau-Napoopoo

Most Recent Honaunau-Napoopoo Camping Reviews
Stunning

This place is amazing. You wake up right on the beach and get to watch surfers in the morning. I would recommend booking a spot well in advance. Very clean facilities is a huge plus. The one negative is gates close at 9pm.

Best beach ruined

Beautiful and clean.

Unfortunately, Locally run and corrupt.

I live here. I had a dispute with one of the "security/managers" of the park. I wanted to be treated with respect and he disagreed. Out of spite, he made up a story about me breaking rules.

I wrote a letter to the board and discovered that they're all his friends and family.

So I've been banned forever from camping at my favorite beach in the world, for resisting bullying. So be prepared to be treated with disdain from parking to check out without defending yourself. This experience was only with one man. The rest were really nice.

Great day trip

lots Of trails for a variety of levels

Beautiful, plus great scuba diving

My husband and I really liked Manuka State Wayside. One thing we really loved about this place was that there was an awesome place to scuba dive close by. It was a company that took us out pretty far, and we were able to scuba dive with some turtles, and even saw some shark. I can't remember the name of the business, but it was right next to Manuka. The scuba diving took about 4hrs total, because of the boat ride plus dive. When we came back we played on the beach and did some people watching. We went to an ice cream shop up the road, and came back to the beach and watched the sunset. This area was pretty busy, but I think thats because it was during the summer. There is a walking/running path that goes along the beach that was nice as well. We walked along here in the evenings after dinner.

Currently Closed

Due to the draining of the Lava Lake and constant earthquakes in Volcanoes National Park, this area is closed. At this time it is uncertain that it will open again.

Closed due to volcanic activity

I love camping at this spot. Namakanipaio has wonderful views the Milky Way, and used to have a great view of the glowing lava lake. It was a short hike to Jagger Museum, that now is being consumed by the caldera. With daily earthquakes in the area, it is no longer safe. you can not even stop in the highway in that area. Hopefully it will open again in the future.

Great snorkeling

My family and I loved this part of Hawai’i and coming to this beach. We had some of the best snorkeling we have ever had, here. We saw turtles, tons of fish, and 1 shark!! The water was super clear and pretty warm. There was also a really cool cliff to jump off of. This beach Park is close to the town, which makes it nice for food. There was a really great fish and chips place down the road. Reminded me of “Ivars” in Washington that we love! We also stopped by a snow cone place that served some of the biggest cones we’ve ever had. They also put ice cream in there’s which was awesome!!! In the morning before we did some hiking nearby, we stopped by a juice place. Wasn’t Sam good as the Kauai Juice Co. but it was still really good! The hiking was great! Great views of the beach and ocean. Super hot though, so I’m glad we started early in the morning. Loved this place and will definitely be back next year!!

So beautiful

This beach park offers so many activities, views, and great places to eat. This is one of my families favorite places to visit when coming to Hawaii. It is a drive from the big island, but definitely worth it. We stayed here 1 night before heading back to the big island. So glad we decided to make the trip. Its located on the south side of the big island, in the Ka'u District. One incredible thing about this beach and camping here is you get the best views of the ocean. It honestly doesnt get any better than that. We also enjoyed snorkeling here, too. I would highly recommend that. We also did a diving tour, which is one of the reasons we decided to come to this part of the island. The diving was incredible, highly recommend. We saw a shark, so many turtles, and lots of fish. One great thing about the park is there is no cost to come, which is awesome! We were warned, however, that the locals dont really take too kindly to people staying here. Not sure why, but everyone warned us. We camped in a spot that was hidden, so we didnt have any troubles. Just FYI before you plan to come here or stay long. Again, we stayed only 1 night and honestly were only in our camping spot for maybe 6hrs total. Just to sleep.

So much fun

The Kalopa State Rec Area park/beach is one of my favorites. It has such a jungle feel to it is why I think I really love it. It is located in Honokaa. There are so many beautiful plants and trees, and the people who work there say that they are pretty rare plants. The hibiscus plants are amazing, and they are everywhere. Loved seeing these flowers everywhere that I walked. The weather was okay when we went. It rained quite a bit, it was damp and pretty cloudy. One thing we enjoyed doing was hikes nearby. You can do the Kalopa Nature Trail. It is super easy, and only about 1 mile long. The loop takes you through all the gorgeous greenery and pretty trees. You can stay in little cabins in the campground, which were about $90 per night. A lot cheaper than staying in a hotel. You can also camp, which we didnt do but I saw that it costs around $20 a night to do this, even cheaper! The cabins were pretty small. There was 4 of us staying in here, and it felt a little tight. We made it work, though! Restaurants are nearby, maybe a 10 minute drive. Some great yummy places to eat. There is also a grocery store around there too. We went here and grabbed a few groceries to have for snacks, breakfast and dinners. We also went down to the beach that isnt far away. Drove about 15 minutes to reach the beach. Loved swimming and body boarding.

Great Beach!

My husband and I really enjoy this beach. We stayed the entire day here, and loved how close it was to restaurants and shopping places. It is located in a great spot. We got up early in the morning and did a hike nearby, then pretty much just sat our bums in the sand and water the rest of the day. We ate at a really good restaurant within walking distance of Spencer Beach Park. The park itself is really nice. There was a walking path just up from the beach that we saw a ton of people walking on, roller blading on and running. If had more time here I would have loved to walk this path to see how far it went. There were people on the grass area in the evening doing a yoga lesson which i thought was really cool. There are also good palm trees that some people put their hammocks on and relaxed in those. Wish I would have brought mine to do this! The beach was clean, they had garbage cans along the whole beach and seemed like people ere actually using them which was great! The water is beautiful and nice. We liked that the part of the beach that we were in the water was pretty calm. No life guards on duty at this one, or at least where we were. Highly recommend this beach park!