Pu'u O Umi Natural Area Reserve, HAWAII

Camping Hawaii Pu'u O Umi Natural Area Reserve
Most Recent Pu'u O Umi Natural Area Reserve Camping Reviews
Camp with a ocean view

Loved the location fantastic but we did get hit with atoms each night.

Pretty nice campground in Haleakala state park

This campground was the largest by far we saw on Maui - it was a large grassy area down a road past the visitor's center for Kipahulu. The area is for both tent and car camping, and there's no separate parking lot for tent campers since it is a bit of a walk from the visitor's parking lot. There's no running water, but two small buildings with pit toilets inside and hand sanitizer. There's also a group area that I believe needs to be reserved ahead of time and is at the back of the main camping area, as well as a trail off the campground that leads to shady tent camping spots (you definitely couldn't get a car in there) under large trees. We liked the campground a lot, especially how grassy it was (rather than dirt, like at Olowalu) but unfortunately we stayed on a Friday and Saturday night - and boy did the other people there like to party. We spent the first night stuck next to a HUGE party that didn't quiet down til late at night. Even after moving our van to a spot farther away from them, we realized that there were quite a number of groups partying til late at the site. I bet this wouldn't be the same case on a weekday night, but it's good to know that this campground is popular with the locals/residents on Maui and from other islands - probably because it's so cheap and accessible ($25 for 3 nights, which is essentially your entrance fee to get into the 7 sacred pools and hike the Pipiwai Trail).

As for Kipahulu itself, it's a beautiful place. we swam in the 7 sacred pools (which get pretty crowded in the afternoon from day tourists) and hiked the Pipiwai Trail. We LOVED Pipiwai - it's a bit grueling, and is 4 miles there and back, but the 100 foot waterfall at the end of it is incredible and a must-see. For the price, Kipahulu is a great place to camp at, and to make the most of your money, I'd suggest spending a night or two here and then heading to Hosmer Grove on your way to the summit. Note that there's no running water here, so come prepared with water jugs. While there's running water in the bathrooms at the service center, as well as a water fountain to fill up your water bottle there, there's no faucet or anything that you could use to fill up a big water jug. One of the major downsides to the site, in addition to the noise.

Beautiful open dispersed campground along the coast

Kipahulu Campground is part of the coastal district of Haleakala National Park and although there is a fee to enter the park, camping is free and on a first come first serve basis. Camp sites are located all along the lollipop of the road that leads into the campground as well as some more spots along the shore. Road to get to the campsite runs along the right of the overflow parking lot of the park. Filtered water and nice public bathrooms are available at the visitor center, however there is no shower at the park. Make sure to get all necessary food items in Hana as this is the last big town on the Hana Highway before the park.

The campground has great spots for whatever you are looking for in your camping trip. The options include open areas to set up next for other people for large groups or along the shore under your own personal hala tree for seclusion and serenity. We were able to grab a spot under a hala tree our second night that was just a walk away from the shore and was so peaceful, and perfect to set up some hammocks. If you hope to get a site along the shore I recommend you arrive to the park early. And if you hope to explore the gems of this district such as the Pipiwai trail, bamboo forest, and seven sacred pools - get up early and do them before the tons of tourists arrive for the day.

It’s pretty good

it’s nice during the summer cause it’s not too hot and there are may “pools” around you that you might be able to swim in. If you look up 7 sacred pools you might be able to find them. I wouldn’t recommend going on a holiday because there might not be spots left. and once you’ve gone many times you will know what spot is best for you.

stardust renewal

id love to talk about it, but now im still wondering why im not there, its quite obviously, this image of the stars and something like a spirit of the time telling me to stay, its the sensacion of being always taking care of somethins greater than me and although being this beeing taking about by myself when im out of mind

Enjoyed our time

My husband and I really enjoyed coming to the Mahukona Beach Park. Although the waters here are a little rough, we found a great spot that the water was pretty calm and we were able to do some snorkeling and body boarding. We got some great shots of underwater life. This beach park has quite a few picnic tables around, so we were able to snag one and have a picnic. We packed some lunch, ate and people watched. The weather was great, a little humid, but not too bad. The park itself was clean, and the time we went it wasnt busy. We always go to Hawaii in December, and some parts of the Island are super busy but others are not. I could see this park being super busy during the summer. There is a boardwalk along the beach, we saw people running, walking, and skateboarding along this pathway. My husband and I walked this pathway during the evening and found a good snow cone stand. Not sure how this park is for camping? We did see some homeless people along the beach who looked like they were camping. I think I would be a little nervous to camp here, but thats just my opinion. Definitely recommend coming for the day and relaxing, though.

So much fun

The Kalopa State Rec Area park/beach is one of my favorites. It has such a jungle feel to it is why I think I really love it. It is located in Honokaa. There are so many beautiful plants and trees, and the people who work there say that they are pretty rare plants. The hibiscus plants are amazing, and they are everywhere. Loved seeing these flowers everywhere that I walked. The weather was okay when we went. It rained quite a bit, it was damp and pretty cloudy. One thing we enjoyed doing was hikes nearby. You can do the Kalopa Nature Trail. It is super easy, and only about 1 mile long. The loop takes you through all the gorgeous greenery and pretty trees. You can stay in little cabins in the campground, which were about $90 per night. A lot cheaper than staying in a hotel. You can also camp, which we didnt do but I saw that it costs around $20 a night to do this, even cheaper! The cabins were pretty small. There was 4 of us staying in here, and it felt a little tight. We made it work, though! Restaurants are nearby, maybe a 10 minute drive. Some great yummy places to eat. There is also a grocery store around there too. We went here and grabbed a few groceries to have for snacks, breakfast and dinners. We also went down to the beach that isnt far away. Drove about 15 minutes to reach the beach. Loved swimming and body boarding.

One of my faves

If I could pronounce this park, that would be great :) The name is pretty cool, and sounds awesome when a local says it. This park was really cool, had a lot of great amenities. The location of the beach park was good too. Right next to the town, easy to get on the road to get something to eat or shop. We took the morning and did a quick hike, some shopping and had lunch nearby. We then picked our spot on the beach and laid by the water the rest of the day. We had fun body boarding in the water, and people watching. The beach was pretty busy, but luckily we found out spot early enough to have enough room between us and the next family beside us. There was a really good snow cone place right up the beach- i think we got a few each that day. The weather was great, definitely bring plenty of water and snacks and sun screen. Even in December, it was still high 80's. Beautiful day! The water was great, a little ruff but we didnt get in very deep. There is restrooms up at the top of the beach area, and they have water hoses to use for your sandy feet. Picnic tables in the grass area as well. Those seemed to be taken pretty early, so if you want a picnic table I would highly recommend getting there early and reserving your spot. It was pretty loud on the beach- people playing music and playing games. My family didnt mind this, but if you want something a little more relaxing and quite, I wouldnt recommend this beach for you. Lots of people and lots of music being played.

Great Beach!

My husband and I really enjoy this beach. We stayed the entire day here, and loved how close it was to restaurants and shopping places. It is located in a great spot. We got up early in the morning and did a hike nearby, then pretty much just sat our bums in the sand and water the rest of the day. We ate at a really good restaurant within walking distance of Spencer Beach Park. The park itself is really nice. There was a walking path just up from the beach that we saw a ton of people walking on, roller blading on and running. If had more time here I would have loved to walk this path to see how far it went. There were people on the grass area in the evening doing a yoga lesson which i thought was really cool. There are also good palm trees that some people put their hammocks on and relaxed in those. Wish I would have brought mine to do this! The beach was clean, they had garbage cans along the whole beach and seemed like people ere actually using them which was great! The water is beautiful and nice. We liked that the part of the beach that we were in the water was pretty calm. No life guards on duty at this one, or at least where we were. Highly recommend this beach park!

Beautiful, just like Hawaii

My family and I visit Hawaii every other Christmas. I know, spending Christmas without snow may seem weird to some people, because we always have a white Christmas where I am from (Washington State). But honestly, we love going this time of year because it isnt as busy. We love either camping, staying at my families condo, or doing a combo of both. We visited Kolekole Beach Park when we came last Christmas, and it was great. It was super clean, which we really loved. There was also some great small cliffs that we could jump off of- the whole family loved doing this. It almost feels like you are in a "jungle" only because of the greenery and trees. Not to mention the weather is pretty muggy. My family and I had a picnic here, and played in the water for the day. They didnt have any life guards on duty just FYI. Weirdly, there were a lot of cats around? Not sure why? but thought this was interesting. The park is a little hard to find, we drove past the sign and had to turn around. It's a pretty small, spray painted sign. We hiked in the morning before we came here, which was beautiful hike overlooking the water. Highly recommend!!

Great hiking, and a nice cool place to escape the heat.

Kalopa is one of my favorite campgrounds here on the Big Island. the cabins are affordable, and including a large dining hall with a kitchen. The kitchen does have a few pots and pans, but if you want coffee, bring a press. Showers in the cabin are small, but nice and hot. Just don't forget to turn on the water heater. Since this location is up in the mountains, it is cold at night. It rains often, and has a wonderfully magical mist that hangs around morning and evening. My husband and I chose this location to get married, since it is such a beautiful and cool spot, hurricane Issel had other plans for us. The trails there range from easy to difficult. The native plants in the area are beautiful, there is even a small gated garden with all the native plants inside labeled. The staff at the park are a wealth of knowledge, and are amazingly kind.

Rough rock or grass. Little for views

The oceanview here is blocked by the lar ge bathroom and covered facilities. Tends to be a more family oriented spot. Lots of big tents and barbecue grills. Decent facilities but always seems to be packed out and the crowd has been a little rough every time I've been. Generally a nice spot but more of an in and out kind of spot for me.

You like to be as close to the ocean as possible?

This is the place for you then. A place to wake up right at the water. White sand, known as a pretty okay surfing beach. This is the place to go if you like nice faculties. Better than most parks here the bathrooms can be a trek but they are clean and well tended to. I only give it 4 stars because it always fairly packed out so plan fairly early especially on holiday weekends.

Breathtaking

It can get packed in the summer we were told so we went in the off season. Its located in Hilo, so the population generally is only 30% of all the islands. We were happily surprised after reading mixed reviews online. It was quiet, quaint, and cozy. A lot of families and a few newlyweds. Everything was easy to find and hook up. We had a slight view of the ocean from the mountains, and the temperature was abiut -10 F from sealevel. Remember to pack some warm pj's! All in all it met all our needs and we would return depending on the devasation thats going to be left behind from Pele.

Heaven on earth

This place is purely magical. We had an amazing 5 days with views of the mountains and water! All ammenties you need are widely available. Lots of room for many guesta. Friendly neighbors willing to help you out! What more could you ask for?!

Undescriblable

Year round accessibilty. Phenominal views of the mountains and ocean.Super friendly camplers on site!

camping on white sands

beautiful little out of the way beach park. sites are first come, first serve, but you do need a reservation. known to the locals as pinetree surfing beach, there is some surfing. not a great swimming beach, but plenty of shoreline and tidepools at one end to explore. nice bathrooms with showers available.

The beauty of the island

There are No Words

The hike down can be a bit steep and if it is raining it gets SUPER wet and slick. It is worth it! A beautiful pristine beach, waterfalls all around, and towering green mountains covered in dense jungle. Absolutely amazing! Be sure to pack in enough water and food! hike back to cars isnt too bad either if more supplies are needed.

One of the Best on the Big Island

I camped here a few times while living on the big island and I highly suggest it!! Great access to the beach, a beautiful warm beach, nice hike access, cabana with gorgeous view, grills, tables, bathrooms, and showers. Can get really crowded which is annoying however this site is AWESOME!

"Coolest" place to camp

I live on the island, but down at sea level. I had always wanted to come up and camp here because the nights are cool and the tent site is in the woods. Some times we need to escape the heat. :) It is a small location that needs to be reserved in advance. The cost is different for residents and visitors. We stayed at the tent sites, but have heard good things about the cabins. There are three tent sites, with a men and women bathroom and large shared pavilion. I liked how the sites have raised and covered places you can pitch your tent under in case it rains. Make sure you bring a mattress of some sort as the shelter floor is concrete. Also bring mosquito spray they like this campsite as well.

We met the others camping that night and had great conversation under the shared pavilion. There are also a couple really lovely hiking trails to explore during the day!

Decent Place to Spend the Night and Morning

We arrived here on Easter and the campground was completely crowded with families celebrating Easter. For us wanting to setup our camp, we couldn't until most were on their way out. There are no designated sites, so you can basically camp wherever you please. We ended up camping on a bluff next to the ship beacon, which was pleasing throughout the night to the sound of the crashing breakers. The campground is the site of a tsunami that killed several school children and there's a memorial there to commemorate that event. There are a couple of grills, but when people are using the pavilions, you can not use them. Overall, not a bad place, probably quieter when it's not a major holiday!

Seven sacred pools and bamboo forest.

This is a first come first serve campground inside the National Park. There aren't any designated camping spots so pretty much you can setup camp anywhere you can pitch a tent. My family and I usually camp by the beach where you can fish or swim in the pools.

I recommend this campground due to the location, easy access to waterfall hikes and beach front camping.

Phenomenal!!!

Waimanu Valley is a state campground for backpacking. It starts out at Waipio Valley lookout and continues 9 miles up to the next valley over. It's a moderately strenuous hike with a pack on your back! Be prepared with water filter, rain gear, mosquito repellant and everything else you need for backpacking. Check the weather in advance because there are two stream crossings that can get rather dangerous if it rises. Otherwise this is the most fantastic paradisiacal campsite on a beach you'll find in Hawaii! Less people than the popular Kalalau on Kauai. Research this one a ton and get permits far in advance!

Last stop on the Hana Highway

I discovered this campground by accident when an avid camper/ bartender in Maui pointed me in this direction with a hand-drawn map (see photos) It was easily my favorite camping spot during my week in Maui.

The campground itself is nothing to speak of- it looks mostly like a big green field with sites designated by grills and parked cars. From the parking/grill area however, you could wander off the path and find sites right on the cliffs under big trees with picnic tables. As a hammock camper, I found a tree to sleep under towards the edge of the cliff with a view of the ocean from my bed--and I was able to watch the sunrise over the Pacific without even getting out of my sleeping bag!

Amenities at the campground are basic- but you get what you pay for. There is no fee to camp here for up to 3 days as long as you've paid the Haleakala NP entrance fee --which of course everyone who makes it to the end of the Hana highway does anyway!

There's plenty of hiking around the campground in the national park- the most popular is the Waimoku falls that you reach by hiking through the bamboo forest up the Pipiwai trail. Camping at Kipahulu means that you can hit the trail early before the resort /day visitors make it to this side of the island. The campground is also very close to the Seven Sacred Pools (which were more mud than sacred looking during our visit).

For sunset, there is an unmarked trail that begins in the South East corner of the campground and will take you up over the cliffs for a good evening view. You can also hike down to some pools to swim if the tide is low.

Note that this campground is pretty far away from the closest town so you'll want to be sure you're all stocked up on fuel, water, and all the things you need when you pass through Hana. There aren't any showers, but if you're driving back north, you can always pop into Waianapapana State Park and hit their outdoor shower.

Beautiful, but oh so noisy...

Amazing section of the island. You need a permit to camp, but you'll find yourself immersed in a tropical lush wonderland. Bring ear plugs unless you sleep like a log… The crogui frogs will wake the dead.

Camping on the North Side of Beach

All Hawaiian beaches get crazy on the weekends and summers. It's best to visit during the week and when schools are in session, because the beaches are teeming with local families. There is plenty of places to park and the area has clean bathrooms and showers by the beach. White side, clear waters, and is known to be a place where you can swim with green sea turtles.

Popular with the Hawaiian Families

You have to be nice and respectful if you want to hang out here. Don't piss off the locals. I'd come during the weekday and when school is in session because it can get crazy crowded on the weekends and summer. There's a protected area to swim in with a sandy white bottom and areas outside that make for great tidepooling. Be careful of sea urchins!

Get your permit ahead of time

I stayed here in 2007, and got yelled at in the morning for not having a permit. I tried to explain that as a bike tourist, I didn't know where I would end up at night, but they were not impressed.

It's ok spot, but the terrain is dust, with bedrock about two inches, down, making it hard to get my tent stakes in. When the wind kicked up before dawn, I ended up with dust in my mouth. But I was able to watch the sun set from my tent.

The showers were lukewarm outdoor style, but far better than nothing. I didn't spend much time on the nice little beach here, and instead kept moving up the coast for snorkeling and hiking.

Best place I have ever camped but maybe I was just super excited to be there. The whole place was beautiful! Would go again in a heart beat!