Kaneohe, HAWAII

Most Recent Kaneohe Camping Reviews
Fantastic beach

I would recommend the beach camping spots. We had a site a ways back and in the trees. It was private and nice. Gates close at 7:00 pm. Watch out for centipedes; I got bit and it was extremely painful. Outdoor showers by the beach. There are toilets. Beach beach in all of Oahu!

Chill and relaxed

Clean grounds great beach access clean restrooms

Beach Front Sites

This campground is beautiful. The best sites are waterfront. You need to book early, the good sites go very fast!  The campground is only open Friday-Monday. The camp sites are large and that makes it nice, because sometimes it can get crowded. There is plenty of shade too!  I have camped here twice and would go back next time I am in Oahu.

Incredible Beach Campground

Bellows is a military recreation facility on the Windward side of Oahu near the town of Waimanalo. Bellows has a section open to the public and a military area that requires a US Government ID and window stickers. The campsite is one one of the highest rated beaches in the USA Waimanalo Beach. The white sandy beach is a local favorite and must see while on Oahu. You can visit in the day or stay at the campground. The campground is for tent campers for individuals or large groups. You will need to come early on a Friday to get a spot for the weekend. During holidays you can expect large crowds. We like to go here during the week and get a section of the beach all to ourselves. The surfing here is not great since the reef is not along the shoreline. It’s popular for swimming, body surfing, and kite surfing. You can get supplies and food in Waimanalo or Kailua to the north. President Obama was known to play golf here and swim with his family.

Incredible Beach

We lived in nearby Hauula Oahu for five years and this campsite was one of our favorites. The campsite is on Malaekahana Beach one of the most beautiful beaches in Hawaii. The site is just north of Laie on Kamehameha Highway. The campground was recently put under new management and has invested in new cabins and facilities. You may not find a better site on Oahu. You will need to make a reservations for the cabins which are very popular with local residents. You can find supplies in nearby Laie or Kahuku. The cabins are very basic with screen and bunk bed setups. The site has an automatic gate for security and helpful resident staff. You can ride horses across the highway. The camp store has some basic items as well. This is a great choice for students or other visitors looking for a low cost option in a beautiful location.

Local Favorite

We lived in Hauula Oahu for 3 years. This was one of our favorite campgrounds. The park is along Kamehameha Highway on the Windward side of Oahu. The site is one on the beautiful Kahana Bay. The Bay has a beautiful sandy beach which is great for beginner surfers and kayaking. You can also kayak in the river which runs through the park. They have camp sites on both sides of the highway and a boat dock. The site is run by the county and very popular on weekends.

previously had permits yrs back a few times yrs ago.

far, hard to get there. hot and no confessions there. closed wednesdays before. don't know present conditions. could have changed.

interesting

we have been known to frequent.the base.

Best beach on the planet

It's amazing go if you can. Especially the military side. Secluded and awesome.

Good place to Luau and hike some trails

There is a beach camping spot nearby here and I will add it to the map once I get the info from my friend in Hawaii! It's definitely the best place to camp in the area but this is the best place to relax for a bit! A good close trail is the Crouching Tiger trail which is pretty steep and muddy so bring good hiking boots!

Amazing spot if surfing and climbing!

This campground is very close to the highest concentration of rock climbs in all of Hawaii! The Mokule'ia wall has over 60 climbs ranging from beginner to expert and includes trad, sport, and toprope routes. One of the other things we loved about this site is the proximity to Ka'ena Point! It feels like you're standing out in the ocean without anything around it's such a small point! One of favorite places we hung out at during our trip to Hawaii

Good base camp for Oahu

You need to be active or a veteran of the military to rent the cabins but the other side is set for civilians. Amazing views with climbing nearby at Makapu'u point/lighthouse. This beach is good for relaxing but the beach just the the NW of Makapu'u is great if you're a decent surfer or bodyboarder.

I love this place!

You can tent camp here, there's a fishing pond and lots of activities for kids.

Beware the mosquitos! They'll suck the life right it of you! 🤣

Military grounds

Great cabins on ground, but you'll have to be military to rent. Civilians can tent camp on the opposite side. The sand here is so fine, it will make its way in to your rent, no matter how tight you close it up. Beware the manawar here when it's in season. They line up all along the beach..

Set far back from other beaches

Not a lot of people go to this beach because it's not so popular. It's tucked far back behind a coast guard base mixed with old commercial buildings and businesses. It's not the prettiest beach, but if you'd like to go somewhere relatively quiet and not much going on, this would be the beach for you..

cabins, yurts, camping, lodge, wifi, turtles

ive come here for a few years for Village Music Circle's annual Drum Circle Facilitation Training (23 years now).

The staff are super friendly and food is good.

They have a ropes course and it is across the street from a skydiving place.

Remote, relaxing

Malaekahana State Recreation Campground & Malaekahana Beach Campground are 2 separate campgrounds run by 2 different “owners” on the Island of Oahu-Hawaii. They are only a few miles apart.

The State Campground is State run requiring a permit (on line). No fires, no pets, tent camping. Reasonable pricing.

Malaekahana Beach Campground is privately owned. Tents sites are $9.00 per person per night with maximums based on site size. They also have Rustic cabins with one queen bed and a bunk. ($50+). No electric or water. Water nearby. Then they have the larger cabins with 2 queen beds, flush toilet and electric for approx $120. a night. All sites have fire rings and a picnic table. No pets.Outdoor showers and flush toilets various locations around campground. Very dark at night-bring flashlights, lanterns. Employees there have always been very friendly and helpful. Gate locked 7p-7a. Must call for assistance if emergency arises or you’re out late! I’ve camped here many times and love having the beach so close! Last time I camped there was in Feb. There was a big storm that Sat & Sun and on Monday-the campers were all out trying to clean up the beach!

Great beach stay!

Had two cabins right next to each other. The only bad things about this camping stay: was only one table with bench seats between the two cabins the tent campIng there seemed lIke the tents were rIght on top of each other but then again we dId not tent camp and the flies, so many flies! Bring an electric fly swatter and let the kids go to town! The great things about this stay : great view, beds to sleep in, toilet in the cabin, water spicket to clean stuff, hidden shower in the trees, fire pit and literally a min walk from the beach. I would definitely go camping there again!

Great family spot! Beautiful area.

This campground is set up for anything from large groups (50+) to small families. There are cabins to rent out or places to pitch a tent. The water is pretty mellow (at least during the summer) and is great for stand up paddling. This is on the Northwestern tip of Oahu and is a must see. Across the street there is also a skydiving company, so throughout the day you will often times see parachuters appearing in the sky.

Northwest tip of Oahu. Great beach

Great mellow beach area!

Civilian and Military campground.

There is actually both a civilian and military campground. The civilian side is for the true camping enthusiast. The military side has both campgrounds and cabins, with a mini golf course and a mini-mart. The cabins have partial ktchen necessities, 2-3 bedrooms 1 bath. You must be active or retired to enter and reserve these military sites.

Camping right on the beach. Doesn’t get better than that

Favorite spot. Camped here many times

Great spot to camp!

I had a great time at this camp ground. Bathrooms were clean and they were flushies! Tons of families but very quiet at night. The only issue was the “locked gate” hours. They literally lock the front from 7 pm - 7 am and charge a fee if you need to go in late or leave early. During the day I wandered and hiked and stressed to get back to my site by 7 pm. They have fire rings, steps from the ocean and offer surf lessons (which I didn’t do but looked very popular). Make sure to bring big spray as their were mosquitos at night, tons of roosters so you will be woken up early but who really wants to sleep in when you have a big beautiful ocean to play in! I suggest this campground to anyone who is eaither camping solo like myself of bringing the entire family.

Ranger Review: Boost Oxygen at Kahana Valley State Park, Oahu, Hawaii

Ranger Review: Boost Oxygen at Kahana Valley State Park

Campground Review

If you have always wanted to camp on the beach in an idyllic bay with towering mountains all around you, then this is your campsite. The campground at Ahupua'a o Kahana State Park is located right on the beach at Kahana Bay. It's on the northeastern side of Oahu so you'll be treated to beautiful sunrises on the horizon and sunsets behind the mountains. It feels like you stepped back in time to what an old Hawaii must have looked like. The bay is open daily for day use and for camping Friday night to Wednesday morning. There are only 10 beach campsites available for tent camping. You can reserve a campsite through the state website in advance. Kahana State Park Camping Reservations. The campsite is pretty full during the summer. The rest of the year the campsite fills up on Fridays and Saturday's. If you're flexible there is almost always availability on Sunday to Tuesday nights - you may have the bay and campground to yourself!

The campground's best assets are its location and views of course! There are plenty of trees for shade and to put up your hammock. You can roll out of your tent in the morning right onto the sand and take a stroll along the beach or dive into the water. Most of the year the water is fairly protected, flat, easy to swim and great for paddleboarding. Occasionally there is an eastern swell that attracts surfers and bodyboarders. Always practice water safety if you choose to go out as there is no lifeguard on the beach. There are picnic tables at almost every campsite and nice new bathrooms located across the street that are nice to use. The bathrooms do require you to cross the street so you might be using the bushes in the middle of the night if the walk is too far.

The cons to the campsite are that it's right along the road so there isn't much privacy. People driving by can see what you're cooking on the grill and may even walk through your campsite to get to the beach. It is a no frills campsite. It looks like there were two showers there with privacy but the plumbing has been disconnected. Don't forget to bring your own grill or camp stove! Otherwise the beach and views totally make up for all of that. Enjoy!!

…………………….

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to try out new products from time to time. This time I tried out Boost Oxygen on an awesome steep hike close to the campsite. There are a few trails in the state park that are family friendly and well maintained; however, I chose to use Boost Oxygen on a trail that gains elevation - fast. The trail climbs up and overlooks the campground and all of Kahana Bay. It's arguably the best view on all of Oahu. For real! This hike is also quite the cardio buster. I hadn't done it in a while so I took along both Peppermint and Grapefruit Boost Oxygen canisters to use on the way. I tested them out first by my car by using the diagram on the canister and the sign pointing where to place the piece under your nose, opened my mouth and breathed in gently, almost like using an inhaler for asthma. The flavors were very subtle and pleasant and very easy to breathe in. It's definitely a good idea to test these out before you intend to use them during a cardio activity to make sure you understand where to place it in the proper position under your nose and the general feel of it.

I put one inside my backpack and the other in the side pocket so I could easily grab it. To be completely honest, I was really hesitant about trying this product out because I didn't think I would feel any difference from using it. And in reality I didn't feel a difference…at first. I took it out every 10-15 min to take a "puff" or two and sometimes a nice long inhalation. I took puffs and thought, "well this is fun and it tastes good but it can't possibly change how well I hike this trail." Until I got to the first landing where I texted my husband, "you know, I feel great, I made it up to the first lookout pretty fast." Then I went up and up on the steepest sections of the trail where it turns into a climbing scramble. I got to where I planned to stop and was just blown away. I'm not going to lie, I felt awesome. I made it up the mountain fast, didn't need to stop much, and most of all, I didn't feel wiped out at all. I was impressed.

Minor cons I experienced. The 4oz can couldn't ship to Hawaii for some reason so I could only try out the 22oz cans. The can fell out of the side pocket of my pack a couple times so I still have to figure out how to secure it in a way where it's easily accessible while I'm hiking.

Overall I really enjoyed using Boost Oxygen. I didn't feel any sudden differences or changes after each inhalation but I felt amazing after climbing that mountain. I'm looking forward to trying it out on some higher elevation hikes and backpacking trips on the other islands. After using it on this steep hike and feeling good and energized after, I think it'll really help with the slow dragging feeling I get at higher elevations! I'll try to update my review afterwards and let you know how it goes! Very cool product.

Here's a quick video with some of the killer views from the hike: Crouching Lion trail

Perfect escape from the city life

Really chill place to stay for few night. There is restrooms, showers, breakfast trailer, and of course the beach. I love it.

Beautiful location

We had a perfect camp site right on the beach to pitch our hammocks. Wonderful stay! Only complaint is the smell from the pot smoking sites next to ours

Stunning

Every place I visited while I was on the island was absolutely breathtaking.

This place has it all!

One of my favorite places to camp when visiting Hawaii. They have volleyball, tubing, rope swings, snorkeling, just to name a few. This place is also super green. It receives the most rain anywhere in Oahu. They have some pretty cool cultural events where you can learn how to roast a pig, fire dance, etc.

White Sandy Beach of Military Paradise

Oahu's famous east coast is lined with beautiful white sandy beaches, and Bellows is somewhat of a hidden gem. Why? Because you need to have military access to enjoy this beautiful beach park. Go for a short drive from Waikiki along the scenic southeast coast and keep going past Makapuu Lighthouse bend, and you'll see some of the most sea-green bluest waters ever. Keep going past Waimanalo Beach Park and you'll be at the entrance of Bellows. You can keep going on the long driveway in, but you'll need military access or sponsorship to get in.