About Camp Olowalu - Maui
No Sanitary Dump
No Sewer Hookups
Camp Olowalu - Maui is located in Hawaii
8 Reviews of Camp Olowalu - Maui
great private campsite with all the amenities

I read seriously conflicting reviews about this place before coming here, so I was super on the fence. We ended up camping in our campervan for our first night here, and it was just what we needed. The campervan site is just a dirt lot, but it's pretty big and right next to the showers and toilets. The amenities are GREAT. The showers are enclosed, they have benches and hooks to put your things down on and they have hot and cold water. The bathrooms are REAL bathrooms, with flushing toilets, running water sinks, toilet paper, mirrors, hooks and a ledge to put your things down on. Really well maintained too. In addition, there's also a cell phone charging station, and large sinks to wash your pots and pans. We came back here after camping on the East side of Maui in the state parks, and had an even deeper appreciation for it. Our second time around we camped in the tent area. Each tent spot has its own grill and picnic table, and is close to garbage bins, the beach and showers/toilets. My only complaint is that both the campervan area and the tent area are pretty much just dirt, rather than grass, which especially in the tent area makes you and your things quite dirty. The wood chips that line the pathways in the tent area are also pretty sharp, and my foot actually got cut on one even when I was wearing shoes - so be careful. Overall it was a great campground, and while it's expensive for adults ($20/person), let's just say that the people that run this place aren't that interested in checking that your party is actually the size you say it is or that you have the correct number of adults vs. kids (kids are $5)..compared to Papalaua Park ($10/person on weekdays, $20 on weekends and no amenities except for porta potties) this place blows that one out of the water.

Beachfront Amazingness!!

Okay, this place is incredible and the best "camping" I have ever done. My husband and I went to Maui for our honeymoon and decided to stay here for a few nights to save some money and we also really wanted to camp. The cost is way cheaper than a hotel, and you get the outdoor/nature vibes. It seriously is a win-win. They also give you resources for snorkeling, scuba diving, hikes, and whale watching nearby. At this point in our lives, this was our first time visiting Maui (we have been back a few times since), so getting all the extra resources of things nearby was a plus. There are a few options you can choose from to stay:

1. Cabin- These are right on the beach and look amazing. We didn't stay here, but would definitely stay in one of these. These actually were all booked at the time we wanted to go.
  2. Tentalows- This is what we stayed in and they were amazing! These are also next to the beach, but a little more upscale to tent camping. There were showers we could use which was nice. We had our own porch seating with a light which was super cute.
  3. Beachside camping in tents- You have to bring your own tents, but they have campsites available to rent along the beach.

Our experience was incredible, and we would definitely recommend this place. We did some hikes nearby that were awesome, played at the beach, and did some snorkeling. It doesn't get any better than this in paradise.

Great location;

There is a variety of sites available. Showers and toilets available. There is a group section.

My Favorite!!

Maui is such a beautiful place to visit, but when you are close to nature it is even better! This place was absolutely incredible. I rather stay here than stay in a fancy hotel. They are like cute little bungaloo houses next to the beach- highly recommend! Its like your own paradise! My husband and I opted for the Mountain View Tentalows, so basically a tent area next to the beach. You can also rent a small cabin, or camp with your own tent beachside. We rented a the Tentalow with 2 beds, and had plenty of room for my husband and I. There was a picnic table, chairs, and showers available to us. There was also some solar lightning inside the tent. It was $95 per night, and we stayed here for 3 nights. You honestly cant beat that. I would highly recommend bringing bug spray and lots of water. The only downside is that it did get hot during the night. HIGHLY RECOMMEND this place, loved it!!

Lovely spot by the ocean with nice showers

If you are the type of person who likes to shower and have clean bathrooms nearby this is your only camping option on the eastern side of maui. (Other nearby camping options have porta potties and you can always drive a few blocks to a beach park with bathrooms and showers.) Unfortunately camp olowalu is overrun by roosters, so you aren't going to get a good night of sleep. The shaded trees are beautiful but they block out any of the lovely ocean breeze that usually makes night temperatures tolerable. There is supposedly reef for snorkeling at this campground, but it seems as though the reef in this area has been completely destroyed by human activity. Overall, one of the most expensive camping options on the island, and the vibe there didn't suit my style.

Great amenities, nothing super special for tent camping

This campsite would be amazing for wedding parties! For tent and car campers, it’s nothing super special. ALTHOUGH! The outdoor shower is an AMAZING experience. To look up at the stars and trees and smell the fresh air while showering outside in an enclosed area was incredible. The beach is underaverage in my opinion (not the typical Hawaii experience). Close to local shops and fairly close to Lahaina!

Beautiful beach spot, but right on the road

This is right by some of the best beaches in the world. It is right on a main road on the island, so there can be road noise pretty close by. The waves usually take care of it, but not always.

Pretty spot, but is expensive. They charge $20 per person.

Has good amenities though including cold showers.