Every week we’re rounding up camping and outdoor news, along with stories you might have missed from The Dyrt Magazine and around the web. This week, we feature a stunning Anza Borrego camping review from a desert adventurer on The Dyrt. Will you be featured next?
There’s a lot to report on this week, as flooding from Hurricane Florence continues on the East Coast, more wild fires flare up in the west, and a promising bill to establish an Office of Sustainable Recreation in California is vetoed.
Let’s get right to it:
What You Missed From The Dyrt Magazine
- A woman was killed by a cougar near Mount Hood in Oregon. This tragic death is Oregon’s first recorded fatal cougar attack.
- The outdoor industry was poised to celebrate the establishment of California’s would-be Office of Sustainable Outdoor Recreation. Until Governor Brown vetoed it.
- As evacuees flee the destruction of Hurricane Florence, Georgia and Florida parks welcome them.
- The world’s first zero-waste wildlife safari is coming to Yellowstone in 2019.
- The devastation of Hurricane Florence is a good reminder that we should all be prepared for natural disasters. Here are some tips on what to include in your emergency preparedness kit.
- Need a hug on a long hike or a rough and rainy camping trip? This freeze-dried meal tastes like comfort from childhood. [Mountain House]
Outdoor News + Stories We’re Reading
- A wildfire started south of Jackson, Wyoming last weekend, and continuers to spread rapidly. [Casper Star Tribune]
- The Ocean Cleanup, a Netherlands-based non-profit, sets their sights on cleaning up 50% of The Great Pacific Garbage Patch in 5 years. [Outside]
- Two brothers return to the North Cascades to hike a trail they covered 50 years ago, carrying the same packs as last time. [REI Co-op]
From The Dyrt Magazine Archives
Each week we’re digging back into The Dyrt Magazine for articles we think you’ll love:
5 Common Trail Dangers That Could Kill Your Dog
Our dogs love to join us trails. But dog owners should always be aware that hiking with dogs has its risks.
[button style=’black’ url=’https://thedyrt.com/magazine/lifestyle/hiking-with-dogs-dangers-and-avoiding-them/’ target=’_blank’]Read the Article[/button]
Campground of the Week: Anza Borrego Camping at Tamarisk Grove
“Tamarisk is a nice campground in a central location. It’s about halfway between downtown Borrego Desert and Julien, there are some nice hikes nearby like the Cactus Loop. Nice showers and bathrooms. I camp Anza Borrego often and really like this campground to get away from the crowds.” — The Dyrt Camper Heather O.
[button style=’black’ url=’https://thedyrt.com/camping/california/california-tamarisk-grove-anza-borrego-desert-state-park’ target=’_blank’]Camp Here [/button]