THE BEST CAMPING IN
Indiana
Camping Indiana

From the sandy bluffs and hundreds of lakes in the north to the limestone caverns in the south, Indiana’s parks are popular with outdoor lovers. In a state defined by its love for automobiles, peaceful afternoons on the river and hundreds of miles of remote hiking are just a short trip away. You don’t have to look far to find your getaway, so come and discover camping in Indiana!

With over 30 state parks and a national forest, it’s not hard to find the perfect place to spend the night. Campers love finding the best place to visit in the fall for the perfect autumn colors, and tranquil summer evenings are a great time to get family together outside for a weekend away.

Find your escape on Indiana’s White River, which meanders for over 200 miles through sandstone bluffs that rise from the river banks. Excellent fishing opportunities and an abundance of wildlife make the White River a hit with locals and tourists alike. With over 12 unique sections of the river to explore, it’s a perfect excuse to call in from work and go camping in Indiana.

Nature lovers camping in Indiana will love the bird watching and serene landscapes of Indiana’s riverways. Call ahead and get set up with an outfitter to guide you through the best fishing holes in the river. Adventure lovers might prefer heading out on their own, thanks to a detailed river guide available online.

Indiana’s Knobstone Trail is a must for hikers and backpackers. Link up with the Tecumseh Trail in the north and the 140-mile trail puts to rest the myths that the state is all-flat. Start within a stone’s throw of Louisville for a hike that winds through hardwood forests, tree-top panoramas, and Southern Indiana’s unglaciated and surprisingly hilly terrain.

Trying to escape the summer heat? Head south to the limestone region–famous for its hidden caverns–and go camping at Hoosier National Forest. Spend your days off hiking and horseback riding in the park’s 200,000+ acres. With the Dyrt, you can be sure to find the best camping in Indiana no matter where the roads take you.

Recent Reviews in Indiana
Nostalgic!

I grew up going to Hardy Lake so it will always have a place in my heart. There is plenty to do with a beach, boat ramps, and many hiking trails. They offer activities on the weekends, especially for kids. I am giving this 4 stars because the bathrooms needs a serious deep clean. The sites are spacious with many different types available. I will stay here again, and enjoyed it.

Outstanding Views

Great place to camp if you like being next to water, amazing views, fast boats, and good food. Key West Shrimp House is a landmark restaurant with great food. So convenient when you are joining in on all the fun of the Regatta boat races, bands, and fireworks. Just a nice walk to all the many things to do. Really enjoyed the city of Madison, IN with a small town atmosphere.

Adventures At Clifty Falls

To take a break and unwind from your everyday work life / family drama, walking the trails of Clifty Falls is really a way to clear your head. We saw two groups of people walking the trails. They are absolutely the most friendliest people. If you want to engage in a conversation, you can, or I’m sure people will notice if you wanna just do your thing in nature.

I would recommend going, absolutely! It’s an experience you can’t take back.

Oh and I would tell you about the actually Trail to the Falls, but you’ll just have to see it for yourself. I can’t tell you what’s going to happen at the end of the movie, haha!!

Pretty Cliffty

The trails is this park are long, but lead you through some of the most amazing sites to see. The shorter trails are pretty simple and loop you around to where you began. I would suggest that if you have kids, that they enjoy hiking. The camping was pretty nice. The shaded areas are worth it considering that many of the sites are in the open and get more than plenty of direct sun. The showers and bathrooms in the powered section are ok, nothing pretty to look at. The showers i. The non-powered campsites are amazing! They are well ventilated and have plenty of sinks and shower stalls. It’s a short trip to the front checking office for wood and ice, and a great place for your little bike riders while you sit back and relax. Most everything is a short drive to and from. The pool in the park is pretty nice with a slide and diving boards, but does cost to enter. The power sites are pretty big and are spread out pretty well. Overall it is a place we plan to revisit in the future.

Enjoying our stay

Very nice campgrounds. Payment needs to be by cash or check which I thought was strange in this day and age. Everything is neat and orderly. Roads are a nice and white rock. The pool is small but really nice, 4'6" deep. We found out the hard way toddlers who are not potty trained are not allowed in the pool even with swimmy diapers on. There a basketball net, volleyball court, small playground and fishing ponds. Our camping has a little porch which seemed awesome but with our camper's stairs it was difficult to back in properly. Grounds are well well kept. Enjoying our stay so far!

A nice place to bring the kids.

I think this one is very good for kids. We enjoyed the pool. Had water spraying every which way, a couple slides and a big dump bucket. Deepest part was three foot. The other side is beach style for the little ones. Horse corral right smack in the campground. Chopped up apples and carrots to feed the horses everyday that we were here. Got ice cream, pizza and wings. And they deliver to your sight. Just the nicest folks. So other reviewers were right. One bath house 😬. Can hear traffic. And of coarse like most KOA close together. But over all I like this one a lot. We came for three nights and ended up staying five. Great for a family weekend.

Just off the interstate! Great for a stopover!

We needed to extend by a day and the office was very helpful! Had pizza delivered! Good Cell, satellite and myfi reception.

Lovely Lake Michigan

This is a state park which has an entrance fee and camping you can reserve. The area is beautiful. Big dunes, lovely water. On clear evenings you can see the skyline of Chicago across the lake. The state park has many well maintained hiking trails and cross country skiing trails in the winter. Be careful in the lake, because rip current often take young visitors out too far and into dangerous waters.

A couple nights on the sycamore trail

Wonderful place. Excellent trail following a nice little stream along the one side. Being in a national forest dispersed camping is allowed if you follow leave no trace principals, but I stayed in a couple of the official sites. The official sites all had rock fire rings and bushcraft furniture.

The one negative was I did have to pack out previous campers trash along with my own. Being close to the college there was evidence that less than mature campers may frequent the area. That being said once on trail I didn’t see another soul past a couple hundred feet of the trail head and only heard a pair of hikers on the trail pass my camp site as I ate my breakfast the one morning.

A wonderful backpacking area!

A couple nights on the sycamore trail

A wonderful backpacking area!

Beautiful lakes

Can get pretty busy during summer weekends. Nice park, good trails and the lakes and very nice. Good fishing areas. You can rent boats here. Campground is decent. Primitive sites are bigger than the RV sites and in more wooded area, but there are not many sites. Staff is friendly and welcoming. Only one car per site, but there are two large visitor lots for extra cars.

Beautiful Stay

I have stayed in the Inn and the camp site. I highly recommend it. There are so many activities that people of all ages can enjoy! I Particularly like the horse back riding trails, and in the winter there are toboggan rides!

Family Fun and bountiful acitivities

I have stayed at this state park many times since I was little. There is so much to do. Between the hiking trails, boating, fishing, kayaking, canoeing, and biking. You won’t ever get bored. The facility is clean and very safe.

3 lakes, shady campsites, great pool

We came to Shakamak for a 3 day trip this weekend after visiting White Rock Park on Wednesday. The campsites were well kept, shaded, and the bathroom/shower house was clean. There were several nice looking trails, 3 lakes that were great for fishing, and a really nice pool with water slides and diving board. The pool also had a splash area/wading pool for your smaller kiddos. Firewood and ice were decently priced, and we found many of the electric campsites backed up to the lakes. We did have several nighttime visits from a couple large raccoon families, but it became a game for the kids as they watched for them.

Awesome campground hidden away

We went to White Rock on a tip from a family member who had seen videos about it. When we arrived we found it more than lived up to our expectations. It was reasonably priced, beautiful water, and some amazing jumps for kids of all ages. After a day full of platform jumps, rope swings, and zip lines we picked a campsite down by the Flat Rock river. We had a beautiful shady riverbank site where the kids could splash and float in the river while we cooked dinner. All in all we had a wonderful time in a beautiful hidden gem of a spot we never would have found just driving around.

CCC structures make it!

Beautiful, park-like, large campground with mature trees and nice bathrooms with showers.

Nice Family Campground

We stayed for one night.

We had a nice big pull through site.

Lots of things for the kids to do: swimming, volleyball, mini golf…

Open campsites but nice area

Variety of hikes can be done here through wooded areas, wetlands, and prairies. You can rent boats or bikes. Lots of bike trails. Canoeing the lake is very enjoyable too and reasonable prices ($20 for the day). The campground is pretty open, not much/any buffer between campsites, but they are large sites. Nature center is very nice for young kids.

We love Versailles

Great park, we stayed in Loop C sites 194 & 195. Both offer some privacy which is great. The playgrounds are minimal and could use an upgrade, but the pool is wonderful and the park overall is great

Fun family campsite

The campsite it very spacious and there’s a decent amount of distance between each site. Sites by the river are especially nice. There’s a small camp store for basic necessities, firewood for sale as well and hot showers! Definitely recommend!

Lots to do

They have lots of hiking, biking, and boating. They have cabins, rob hook ups, and tent camping.

I grew up near here

The sites are well cared for and the rest rooms and showers are well taken care of. They have to and rent camping sites. Primitive camps sites are open year round.

Very beautiful

Great trails. Not too difficult so definitely beginner friendly. Campsites in the area are also very pleasant, just be sure to book ahead as they fill up fast.

Family friendly, beautiful wooded sites.

Always something to do… championship disc golf course (wonderful wooded course, great walk with your morning coffee), children and adult activities, nice pool, friendly staff.

Great family spot

Nice quiet campground. Plenty of activities for families to do. The kids loved the Bison. 200 ft fire tower you can climb. Beach is nice.

Disgusting

We’ve stayed at Indiana dunes every year on our road trip. We’ve stayed here in the past because it was beautiful, quiet, and clean. This year we got in a little late on Tuesday evening and the entire campground was packed and the showers and bathrooms were FILTHY. We’ll never go there again. The only change we could see was the put huge advertisements for the campground everywhere which obviously attracted the wrong crowd. It’s a shame.

Fun for the Family!

Very clean campground, with a great family vibe to it! I used to camp here when I was a kid, and it’s still just as wonderful as I remember.

The staff are incredibly helpful. There are options for all kinds of campers: RVs, tents, cabins. If you aren’t going next door to Holiday World, they have a decent size pool and slides, as well as an arcade and playground. There is a camp store as well as a pizza place located in the center of the campground.

For the camper who enjoys to be farther from their nearest neighbor, this place may not be for you. While campsites are spacious, you can see and hear your neighboring campers. :)

Music Festival of a lifetime

Awesome 3 day weekend with live bands at Fern Hills Club ! Put this naturist campground on your must do list . Rock Naked Weekend gets better every year . Bring your golf cart ! There are 75 acres of trails to hike on or drive your golf cart on .

Very nice

Very clean, camp sites are spacious and well taken care of. Restrooms and showers are clean. Very nice that each camp circle has a easy in out dump station. The beach is well groomed and taken care of. Already planning our return trip

Bucolic Oasis in Peaceful Indiana Countryside

Book a weekend at Heritage Alpaca Farm (be it in a tent, RV, historic cabin, or forest tensile) and you will not regret it. This well-kept farm is tended to by incredible hosts, Tim & Beth. They have put much love into their inviting and scenic country haven.

As RV campers, we pulled into the circular driveway and parked with ease. A 30 amp hookup and water spigot are available within the recreation barn (along with ping-pong and often times Frost, the friendly Great Pyranese). From your rig you have a view of a small alpaca pasture and their covered event space.

Around the barn is a private fire pit, and Tim provided firewood upon request. Private toilets are a few steps away which are very clean.

WHAT MAKES HERITAGE FARM A GEM:

SUNSETS: We loved walking the grounds at dusk, enjoying epic sunsets and watching the fireflies light up, as far as the eye can see. The bicentennial barn is stunning and wonderfully restored. It's great for an excellent up-close look at the alpacas. Tim is a wealth of knowledge about the docile creatures and happy to answer any questions.

FRESH EGGS: We enjoyed farm fresh eggs every morning from their free-range chickens.

COOL CREEK: A small creek runs across the back of their property. On a hot Summer day, it's a nice place to sit and cool off.

ITALIAN PIZZA: An Italian style wood-fired outdoor pizza oven on the grounds is fired up for community pizza nights. Check with hosts to see when they are doing their next pizza night al fresco.

ALPACA STORE: A boutique on property sells luxury alpaca goods like scarves, wraps, socks, and more. The perfect place to pick up Christmas gifts. In November, a local artisan market is hosted here.

BIKING: The roads around the farm are quiet and smooth and make for excellent bike riding.

SWING: A swing on the property is a fun pastime for kids….Or for a small adult with a childlike spirit :)

*The town of Kokomo offers any groceries or amenities you need and is only a 20-minute drive.