THE BEST CAMPING IN
Massachusetts
Camping Massachusetts

New England is known for small, quaint towns tucked into lush foliage and rolling hills of small, quaint states. There are large and energetic cities that defy this image, but for those of us that live to explore the rugged, rural beauty, camping in Massachusetts has long been a hotspot for adventure seekers and laid-back vacationers alike.

For beach lovers, pitching a tent amongst the white sand dunes of Massachusetts’ Cape Cod is truly an experience of a lifetime. The shrubby black oak, stunted pitch pine, and delicate dune rose of this region offer the perfect backdrop to the roughly 400 miles of pristine shoreline. Bike along the Cape Cod Rail Trail for 22 miles of easy riding, as it weaves in and out of six Cape Cod towns along the Atlantic.

A few hours north, Boston awaits with its iconic history and big city vibes. For a fresh way to see Boston, head downtown and kayak along the Charles River, an 80 mile waterway that meanders in and out of Boston’s neighborhoods and riverside parks. After exploring Boston and the Charles River, hop on a shuttle ferry to the Boston Harbor Islands, where you can set up your tent and watch as the city skyline lights up the night sky above your campsite.

Craving a woodland camping adventure? Head inland to Western Massachusetts, where the Berkshires welcome you with rich, dense forests, exhilarating waterfalls, and a number of fantastic hikes along the Appalachian Trail. For this area, camping in Massachusetts’ State Parks is your best bet. Hike to the highest point in Massachusetts, Mount Greylock, where you’ll be rewarded with outstanding views of four other New England states. There is a campground on the mountain, but you’ll have to carry in your gear.

For further inspiration on camping in Massachusetts, as well as campground ratings and more, The Dyrt has all the information you’ll need to start planning your next adventure.

Recent Reviews in Massachusetts
Very Nice Place

Good sized sites, very clean lake, staff very friendly and accommodating, bath houses were clean. We plan to camp there again

Very nice!

I haven’t been tent camping in years but this past weekend I stayed while attending the Levitate festival. I was very comfortable, the bathhouses were clean. Can’t wait to go back!

Family Friendly

Not too pricey and clean With lots of activities for the family.

Terrible park

So noisy we only stayed one night. No privacy. Tents parked a few feet apart. We had smokers on both sides and our camper was blue with their smoke. Heavy drinking and loud voices all afternoon and evening. Many had their car radios blaring, all on different stations. Outdoor bingo game was done on a loudspeaker that penetrated every inch of the grounds. Drunken campers were banging on our door after midnight thinking we were the camper they were looking for. Nightmare!

Neighborhood Camping

A clean and for the most part quiet camp spot. However it is near an electrical plant that has a hum all day & night—makes for great white noise when sleeping.

There is a road that seems to house construction vehicles that were busy going by early evening and early morning.

The park is great if you are traveling and need to pull off the interstate to rest your head and get a shower. The bathrooms were very clean.

The staff were all incredibly nice and helpful. I felt safe in this campground.

The photos people posted are deceiving as they are taken from other places and not right in the campsite.

I would stay here again when passing through but would not make it a multi day stay.

Peace and Quiet

Stayed in a campsite near the road and the brook. It was clean and quiet. The road was right next to the site, but most drivers were respectful and drove slow.

The bathrooms and showers were phenomenal. A treat at the end of the day to take a shower before crawling in.

I appreciated that this state park had pockets of campsites and group sites. We were not all in one place.

The weekdays seem quieter than the weekends.

One of our favorite places to stay

Beautiful clean campground! Great for kids and pets. We love taking the dog to the dog beach for a swim.

Camp store is great, fun fishing on the lake and tons of activities for the kids.

Princess of the Pines

The campground was large enough to tire out the dogs walking around, staff was friendly, helpful and welcoming!

We spent the weekend of the 4th and although there were no fireworks it ended up being a better weekend for one of our dogs who fears them.

The sites are level and a decent size with a picnic table, fire pit, shaded by the tall pines.

There was a rain event the second to last evening we were there but the staff was quick to be sure the roads were repaired for check out!

The “Olympic size pool” was not filled at the time but it did not effect our stay at all, there was a smaller pool for those who wanted to cool off. (We’re more of the swim in the river/pond kind anyway)

The bathrooms were clean and showers had nice hot water if you wanted it. No coin operation here!

Had we had more time I would have ventured into the adjacent wildlife management areas as well.

It's like a daycare for grownups.

DO NOT GO TO Cape Cod Campresort& Cabins in East Falmouth. Insanely ridiculous rules!!! Annoying staff, specifically the older ones. I felt like I was in daycare. If you like hanging out, talking late at nigt, then don't come to this place. I was told by one of the staff"no electronics after 9pm". I understand if say someone is listening to music loudly, then yes definitely ask them to turn it off. We had a 17inch tv screen, low volume, I could barely hear the tv. So I guess they just like to be annoying. They have the staff drive around all they long to harass us. For 4 nights we got harrassed, but one night that I was in bed at 11pm, they allowed an RV to check in. I was trying to sleep and people were talking outside as they were setting up camp. So I realized the rules only apply when they see fit. Sunday 4pm was asked to lower the volume of the tv, same 17inch tv. And I know for a fact that NOBODY complained, because we knew everyone around us, even the ones on the sites behind us. Front desk was rude, the first day I thought she was having a bad day, but the second I went there to buy ice and felt like I couldn't ask a question because I was bothering here. I dont know if it's a racism thing or they are just rude in general. Also, they need to hire a real life guard so the kids who are accompanied by their parents at ALL times, can use floaties. I understand letting a kid with a floatie while the parent is sun bathing or chatting with friends. But that wasn't my case. Lake area for bathing is too small. Dog park had a hole on the fence, my dog almost got out. Pool needs cleaning. One playground, not many options. Small laundry. Old arcade, needs upgrades. So, my advice is, GO TO Normandy in Foxborough. They have rules but they are reasonable and not racists.

Beautiful lake

First time staying there. Two tents allowed per site, no alcohol although no one checked. No water or electricity at the sites. You park & walk in but they provide carts. You have to buy firewood from them. Canoe, kayak & padddleboard rental available. Showers & bathrooms by the parking area. Lots of islands & places to explore on the lake. Buggy in June so bring your repellent. Dogs allowed…that’s all I got for now :)

Family friendly campground

Many pine trees throughout campground provide excellent shade and pine needles on the ground. Very crowed (holiday week), but it’s been fun with all the families. Very friendly guests and staff. Homemade ice cream truck comes through each evening. Only two negatives: most expensive ($90 per night) and the walk to the beach is almost 2 miles (not 1 like staff and website stated).

Quiet, friendly campground

Just stopped for one night, small kids playground, friendly staff, very quiet (except birds chirping in the morning). Friendly seasonal guest helped us with our campfire. We heard the lake was full of mercury and not to go swimming there, but since it was a quick stopover for us we didn’t see the lake.

Perfect location for the best of Cape Code

Family friendly, wonderful customer service, clean bathhouse and showers (only cost .25 for 7 min) and great beach access!! We loved our stay at this campground, the only downside was that fires are not permitted on site. However, you can obtain a permit for a beach fire. There is a short 5-10 min walk to Head of The Meadow Beach which is part of the NPS. The Cape Cod National Seashore was beautiful. We went to the beach there every evening and were greeted each time by seals! North of Highlands is also close proximity to Provincetown and other wonderful beach sites… Highly recommend!

Busy but worth it

Mostly geared toward families, especially with kids. Most of the campground is RV sites. There a a handful of tent sites in the back (no hookups). Bathrooms and showers are very clean, general store and pools are nice and convenient. It’s a perfect distance away from Gillette (a couple miles) if you’re looking for an alternative to staying in a pricey hotel. Definitely not a place I would go to “get away from it all.” You can hear the highway from the sites.

Peace & Quiet, Great Location!

We stayed on site A-31 for 3 nights with full hookup while we checked out Cape Cod. Campground is lovely, with many trees (and birds) and close proximity to the bike trail and town of Brewster. A little dusty because of the sand lot and roads. Well stocked camp store and friendly staff, would definitely stay here again.

Scusset Beach State Park (An RVer’s Paradise)

Scusset Beach Reservation overlooks Cape Cod Bay and accommodates a multitude of RV sites. The campgrounds aren’t the most attractive, but the pull here, of course, is the beach- which is actually pretty amazing.

Not nearly as crowded as a majority of the nearby Cape beaches and rather quiet- especially shocking for the weekend just before the July 4th holiday- Scusset Beach has all the amenities you could really want for a low-key beach outing. The beach is clean, with beautiful, white, rock-free sand. There’s a small snack bar with basic food options, bathroom and locker room facilities, picnic tables and plenty of parking. Lifeguards begin their work around 10am and are pretty serious about announcing all the rules.

In the grounds, you’ll find rows and rows of RV sites. Not much in terms of privacy- basically a glorified parking lot with the occasional tree and nearby nature center. The Park, however, also has 5 tent sites towards the back that are really your best bet if you want anything close to a true camping experience. Tent sites 1, 4 and 5 are the most attractive options, offering shade and a fair amount of privacy. Each is set up with a grill, fire pit and picnic table and are pretty decently sized.

Additionally, there are several trails around the Reservation. A nice bike path along the waterway is literally feet away from the tent sites; and there also seemed to be smaller paths dispersed throughout.

If you’re a fan of the Cape and ocean, definitely give Scusset Beach a try- especially one of the tent sites. You can literally walk to the shore and stores and restaurants are a quick car ride down the street.

Beach camping...

This campground might not be for everybody, but if you like the beach you should give it a try. The sites are open with maybe one tree on most sites. Sites have paved and concrete driveways and lots of them have a concrete pad that would be under your awning. They recently built a new bathhouse and re-did the dump station to three lanes. Like I said it’s not for everybody weather is pretty much an open field with some sporadic trees, so very little shade. The ocean is on one side and the Merrimack River is on another side with a marsh that is great for canoeing,kayaking and fishing on another side.

Nice resort

The good…..nice level site w gravel base, pea stone around camp, friendly staff, lots to do, clean all around. The not so good….A lot of sites are tight to get in. The lake beach could use a dredge so there is more sand (weedy). Mini golf course needs some upkeep. Overall a nice campground.

Nice place!

People are real nice here. Pretty place. But very remote. Ok place for overnight stay but wouldn’t stay longer.

Wednesday camping

Awesome park. It was a quiet night and bathrooms where clean. Has spacious showers. Park rangers drive around campground often.

Nice, yet cramped and no cell reception

I really wanted to like this place. It's in a very cool area that I didn't expect to be so awesome. First main issue was how bad the cell reception is. Normally, I'd day that's a perk for camping but we're full-timers and work on the road so it is important for us. Next, the place is massive and they are more about make money than making people comfortable. What could easily be a very nice and spacious pull-thru spot are 2 back to back back-ins. Unless you're lucky enough to get an end spot, those are pull-thru. Pros: awesome dog park, great office with laundry, activities, arcades, adult only room, community campfire, indoor pool with lifeguard, the staff is nice, there's a lake for swimming, boating, catch and release fishing. Their basketball court is on a shuffleboard court, playground is nice though. Close to Old Sturbridge Village and many cool hikes and MA cities.

Family oriented camp ground quite nights

Loud campers will be asked to leave, there are three shower houses the one closest to main beach is the best with handicapped accessible shower stalls

Great sites, very clean, best in the off season but lots of traffic noise

Price is right and always very well maintained. It is also very close to Rt 6 so the traffic noise is almost constant especially friday nights. Not recommended for light sleepers but very convenient.

I absolutely love this place

I’ve gone here 3 times in 2 years and my kids love it can’t wait to go bAck I hear they built a mini golf course

Lots of partying and duck poop

Last time i was there a fight broke out and the cops had to be called. Attracts a lot of the rowdy party crowd.

My favorite early and late season spot

Well maintained campground with an equally maintained indoor pool making this my favorite cold season spot.

Nice spot for a quick relaxing weekend

First time coming back here in 20 years. Got a great site by the pond.

Wonderful place

This is a wonderful family campground in the center of Cape Cod. It is exceptionally clean and quiet with plenty of privacy.

The amenities were exactly what we needed for our little camper. I loved waking up to all kind of diferent birds singing and chirping. There is a pretty little dock with pond access for fishing, but sadly no swimming. But, would you really want to swim with 70lb snapping turtles?

We went in June and came back again a few weeks later. It was worth the drive through Connecticut to see the awe inspiring beauty of Cape Cod and Sweetwater Forest.

It's an ok place

This is Massachusetts largest state park with 16,127 acres. The campground is small and the sites are close together. There are three levels with RV at the bottom with a bathroom, the tent sites are on the next level with a bathroom, and the three yurts are on the top level with a little bit of a walk to the bathroom. The park was very clean as it just opened up for the season. The bathrooms were also very clean. The showers (one in each bathroom for each sex) were free. The assistant at the check-in station was very pleasant and nice. He told us that the park gets busy with Tanglewood (summer home of the Boston Pops) near by. My wife loved the town of Lee and everyone was very nice. The kids had a great time riding their bikes around the campground and going on hikes. Other than that there really wasn't much to do at the campground. The one thing that I can confirm about other reviews is that there is a constant hum from a power transfer substation across the street from the campground. We didn't find it that annoying. We camped at October Mountain State Forest in a Travel Trailer.