the dyrt
THE BEST CAMPING IN
Massachusetts

New England is known for small, quaint towns tucked into lush foliage and rolling hills of small, quaint states. There are large and energetic cities that defy this image, but for those of us that live to explore the rugged, rural beauty, camping in Massachusetts has long been a hotspot for adventure seekers and laid-back vacationers alike.

For beach lovers, pitching a tent amongst the white sand dunes of Massachusetts’ Cape Cod is truly an experience of a lifetime. The shrubby black oak, stunted pitch pine, and delicate dune rose of this region offer the perfect backdrop to the roughly 400 miles of pristine shoreline. Bike along the Cape Cod Rail Trail for 22 miles of easy riding, as it weaves in and out of six Cape Cod towns along the Atlantic.

A few hours north, Boston awaits with its iconic history and big city vibes. For a fresh way to see Boston, head downtown and kayak along the Charles River, an 80 mile waterway that meanders in and out of Boston’s neighborhoods and riverside parks. After exploring Boston and the Charles River, hop on a shuttle ferry to the Boston Harbor Islands, where you can set up your tent and watch as the city skyline lights up the night sky above your campsite.

Craving a woodland camping adventure? Head inland to Western Massachusetts, where the Berkshires welcome you with rich, dense forests, exhilarating waterfalls, and a number of fantastic hikes along the Appalachian Trail. For this area, camping in Massachusetts’ State Parks is your best bet. Hike to the highest point in Massachusetts, Mount Greylock, where you’ll be rewarded with outstanding views of four other New England states. There is a campground on the mountain, but you’ll have to carry in your gear.

For further inspiration on camping in Massachusetts, as well as campground ratings and more, The Dyrt has all the information you’ll need to start planning your next adventure.

EXPLORE MASSACHUSETTS
Recent Reviews in Massachusetts
Clean

Decent campground. Sites are spaced out. No really good swimming area, unless you go to the other side of the lake to the public swimming area. Bathrooms are kept pretty clean. Campsites are large and are spaced well apart. We like going here.

The best of New England!

The White Mountains, New Hemisphere, is a must, worth the short drive especially if you can go in early October, when the leaves are changing. Boston is only 40 minutes away, and the best of Maine is also very close. If you’re not up for sightseeing, and you want a good pizza take the 7 minute walk from the campsite to Chip Shots, yum. The staff and campgrounds were both very nice.

Wells State Park

I was very pleasantly surprised by this Park, just tucked away off of Route 49 in Sturbridge. While I didn’t get to explore the entire grounds, I was impressed with how beautiful and shaded the Park was and all the trails it had to offer. Plus, it is practically down the road from Treehouse Brewery, near Sturbridge Village, Hyland Orchard and countless other community amenities.

It is absolutely lovely in the fall, especially on the water at the campers’ beach. Quite calm and scenic. Site 2, right nearby, is a great spot. Fairly large and literally feet away from the beach.

Campground with activities

The campground is connected to an adventure/outing company that provides white water rafting, tubing and other water activities on a nearby river. It’s close to where locals jump off outcrops into the lazy river and hang out on the river side. They don’t allow fired at the campsites though which is annoying and their quiet hours are quite oppressive.

Salisbury Beach State Reservation

Very nice neat and clean campground. We did not like the fire rings because they had the three walls with only one opening. See photos. It was lovely to walk on the Atlantic while there and enjoy sunrise on the beach. There is a large public access parking area beside campground. Eat breakfast at Pat’s Diner just a few miles from the campground. It’s the real deal.

A rural family campground near Barre, MA

We stayed in Coldbrook twice, one on Violet and once on Daisy, both times in June for the Spartan Race. The guests were split between weekend warriors and hard-core seasonals. The roads were all dirt and the initial drive down into the campground is very steep. The amenities are nice, with a 9 hole golf-course, a nice pool and splash zone, a game room, playground, and covered picnic area. Both times we stayed in a tent. Overall, I prefer the Daisy loop because we were farther removed from the main camping area. The second time when we camped at Violet it was next to the playground and the picnic area, and although these were extremely convenient, I would take sleep any day. Quiet hours were not even remotely enforced and drunken partying went into the wee hours of the morning. Otherwise, the campground was ok. The bathrooms and showers were decent. The events that we attended were nice. However, I do not believe I would stay here again.

Some very large private sites, some great family sites.

Large sites. Clean bathroom. Good for families or couples.

perfect beach front camping

This was our first camping trip of the year and we loved being right on the beach. There are no hookups but water is easily acquired and there is a dumping station. We loved being able to hike for hours right from our campsite. While the beach in the campground is very rocky it is a short walk to beautiful public beaches. I cant wait to return to this campsite.

Great campground, though hard to find

Savoy mountain campground is a very nice state park camp, but don’t rely on gps to get you there it will put you on the wrong end of the park in the middle of a rural neighborhood. The park is so hard to find that not even a cell signal can get there, if your looking to unplug this is a great spot!Use the directions provided on the website, they are far more reliable. Very clean park, convenient clean restroom/shower building and helpful staff. There are RV sites and there is a dump station/potable water fill station available at the park entrance, but no RV hook ups of any kind. Sites are spacious and many shaded sites have decent privacy though open field sites are also available, bear boxes are provided at each site as this is black Bear country. Ample hiking to be done in the park and you can access the Mohawk trail right from the campground, the Appalachian trail and Mt Greylock is a short drive away.

Friendly, helpful

Staff was very nice, adequate amenities. Very little privacy between campsites even in wooded areas. A smaller operation with a high percentage of seasonal residents. They do seem to offer some interesting activities for kids with weekend fire engine rides, a gem panning center, seemingly well maintained playground/pool and a small haunted house for October. Not fancy but very functional and a convenient location for us, we will visit again.

Relax in the woods

Just reopened this summer and they did a great job on everything. Nice sites, great playgroung for the kids.

Jug End Campground, Great Spot for Section Hikers and All.

Great spot, I have section hiked the majority of the east coast AT and this is in my top 10 spots to stay at. Trash cans, but carry out is preferable.

Nice Retreat in an Area You Wouldn't Expect

The Good: Spacious campsites, some are very private and some are more suitable for a group to combine a couple together, bathrooms are cleaned a couple times a day, trails in the area are great, swimming area, close to grocery shopping if you forgot something, DOG FRIENDLY

The Not-so-good: It is about $10/night more expensive for out of staters, wood has to be purchased at the campground, the fire pits are fire boxes and can be less fun than a pit - hard to sit around because you can only see the flame out one side of box, the bathrooms get busy and sometimes run out of toilet paper on busy weekends, there has been some illegal activity there (last time I was there, about a dozen police cars rolled in), quiet hours are not enforced well sometimes.

Family oriented

Convenient location, beautiful pond on beautiful cape cod, Ma. My family has gone there for years with neighbors and always enjoyed our stay.

Moderate Hike to a super nice camp area

My friends and I did this as an overnight hike, just so we could take our time getting there and enjoy the summit. It's a pretty short hike from the parking area up to the site. I'd guess under two miles, which parts can get quite steep. We brought our dogs as well.

All the sites were lined up down a pretty straight road, on both sides of the road. You can evidently drive up there too but what fun is that? The bathrooms were huge, and had a water pump outside of them or near by. Every site had a picnic table as well which is nice. Lots of trees so we could easily put tarps up over our tent and table. There is a trail at the far end of the camp area, leading to the summit we took after setting up our base.

I loved the trail going up from the camp area, lots of cool picture perfect areas. Nice variety of terrain. The dogs loved it. There were a few spots we had to cross the road where people drive up to the summit. Once we got up there it was more commercial than expected, but cool none the less. You still feel a sense of accomplishment at having hiked up. On the plus s side, there is a small restaurant. If it's rainy or you don't feel like camp cooking have at it!

Views at the top are of course breathtaking for the nature lovers (like us) out there! A bit crowded for my liking but hey, it's crowded because it's awesome. The hike back down to our site seemed to take no time at all. We refilled our water bottles from their hand water pumps (can be a workout!). Abundance of camp wood was already sitting at our site, not sure if that is normal or someone else was cool and left it. We had a great evening, and hiked out in the morning after breakfast. Overnight, we heard owls! All the camp areas looked nice, room for tents and hammocks. Hope to go again before I'm too old to carry all the gear LOL.

Fun and relaxing

Fun and care free camping. A bi yearly trip. No sewer hookup. Septic truck comes 2wice a week. Right on the beach. Awesone breeze

Beachy access and close to Provincetown

I stayed at this campground over Labor Day weekend 2018. While it was relatively booked to capacity, everyone staying here was very respectful of the quiet times and my stay was super pleasant. There is a short walk from the campground to the entrance of Head of the Meadow beach and it is really conveniently located to get to Provincetown. I loved the ground cover which was a mix of sandy soils and soft pine needles. The tree cover snd scrubby forest surroundings made for nice seclusion and pretty scenery. The bathroom amenities were good, but bring quarters for showers. For 1 quarter you get 7 min of hot water so it was a good deal, I thought. Loved the location!! I would come back.

Nice quick getaway from Boston

Being just 30min away from Boston makes it a convenient weekend trip destination, to get out and explore nature a little bit.

Camp sites are gigantic, have running water, picnic table and fireplace. There is a playground and activity field (basketball, etc.) on the campground.

Family campground, some large site some private sites

Some waterfront sites, very near town and north shore activities. Very helpful rangers.

Great staff

Great location

Overnight challenging hike

This was one of my favorite all time hiking/camping experiences.My friends and I were doing this as an overnight hike. We actually started this hike in by Race Brook Falls area, and ended it where the GPS coordinates are noted. See the map in my photos marked with yellow lines. Basically left a car where we were ending the hike, and took another car with everyone crammed in to the Race Brook Falls parking lot which off Route 41 in Sheffield, Massachusetts.

We began by making the hike up Mount Race. No matter where you start, you'll be hiking on some of the steepest parts of the Appalachian Trail in the northwestern Connecticut and southwestern Massachusetts. On the way up you will see signs for Race Brook Falls; its pretty beautiful and worth a day hike if you aren't camping or whatnot. The entire hike to the top is pretty hard, but worth it.

The views once you get up there are nothing short of stunning and there is a short section of trail that that's really the kind of spot that makes you go "This is why I hike!". There's a sheer drop-off of hundreds of feet spreading out into a massive valley scene below. We then headed to the direction of Sages Ravine. It was a few hours later before we made it to Laurel Ridge Campsite. My friends used the platforms, I had a hammock.

I don't think you are supposed to make a fire, but am not sure. There was a fire pit there so we used it at night because it was pretty cold in the 50s and down to 40s late at night (this was OCT). There is an outhouse a ways from the camping area. There is also a bear box near that if you bring a padlock you can use it.

The next morning we headed down Sages Ravine (awesome!) and towards/past Bear Mountain onto Undermountain Trail. This was overall no easy hike in any way, so if you are not in moderate shape I would not recommend this to you. If you hike normally, and do some cardio like spin class or something regularly, try the day hike first. Then move on to the overnight. Good luck and enjoy!

Not impressed

Clise and easy access to the deerfield, either for tubing or whitewater, but noisy campground close to the main road, not tent friendly. It has a loud bar with loud people coming and going at odd hours right at the entrance of the campground. Not easy to sleep here.

Expensive and loud

I don't know how a cartoon themed campground ended up with a full bar, live music until midnight, and rowdy drunk seasonal campers partying until dawn. But there it is. You can also here I 84 from the tent sites. Besides the noise, there's the expense for everything. 3 dollars per person per rider for a paddle boat. 5 dollars per person per day to use their "aqua center" (a pool with a 20 foot water slide). 7 dollars for a bundle of pine firewood. And there are kids activities, but that requires a fee as well.

We had a good time here despite all of this, but we certainly won't be back.

A great Cape Cod experience.

Nice tent sites. Near Nickerson State Park which is a must see by bike trail and to cool off after at a forest lake beach.

cute camping destination for the cape bound

I really like this campground. The sites were on the smaller side and closely packed but there was good foliage between sites to lend a little privacy. The bathrooms are very good. Private unisex showers were very clean and had great water pressure/temperature. I believe all sites are hooked up with water which is amazing to me and most have power.

Early in the season

For some, the strange people who haunt certain grounds are a plus. For the rest of us, they are just a regular feature of the land west of the great Massassippi River. Anyway, being some of the first people to hit a campground like this one early in the season certainly has it’s benefits. For one, the bathrooms are cleeean as hail, and this place is really well-appointed. Pooping in relative comfort basically makes this glamping. They even have a big ole nice sink to wash your dirty dishes (and whatever other unmentionables, if you nasty), clean water spigots, RV sites with hookups, plenty of wood for sale, forage, or barter, and flat campgrounds with concrete fire pits with built in grill grates and wooden picnic tables. All amenities are within close walking distance, which is also a plus. The trails in October Mountain State Forest are very pretty, with some grand vistas to pull over if you’re some sort of nature pervert or lookie loo. Good fishin’ and mushroom hunting and other things white folks like to do in these parts, too.

Now let’s get to the cons:

bugs- this place, at the end of May is positively swarming with mosquitoes and gnats, even in the 2 rainy and cold-ass nights we spent there, the flies were everpresent. It’s Hitchcockian; and I don’t want to make any accusations or cast aspersions, but these insects are prejudiced, at best.

massholes- these are a given. I’m one so I know.

rangers- because this is a state park, you will have ranger patrols consisting of, um, rangers, some of whom might be more interested in what’s in your coozie than others, because, you know, rules. That said, we had no enforcement issues, but then again the camp ground was empty. Otherwise, unless you’ve got one of the few yurts onthe property, the campsites aren’t far enough apart that you ever really feel secluded. They’re not too bad, though, plenty of room.

This place, overall, is a good time if it’s not below 60 and wet.

Quick shot at this

The guy above me gave you most of the skinny, so I can keep this short and sweet. This campsite is superlatively convenient if you live in the Boston area, especially so if you’re like me and you’re one of those “Boston kids who don’t cross the bridge,” both proverbial and otherwise. The area around Ponkapog is beautiful, showcasing a wetland climate that, while common, is an integral part of the Massachusetts ecosystem that many people don’t even realize is within a stones throw. Why spend a summer weekend baking like a sausage next to a big of townies when you can chill in the bog with bogey-bogmen?

Highlights:

serviceable and cheap campground with limited amenities

some natural peace and quite close to the city

lots of good berry picking and trails

not far from the blue hills

good family fun

swimming

Lowlights:

bogmen

one night stay

very friendly staff. good location. camping spots are too close from one another.

My New Go To Campground in Cape Cod.

This was my first time at this campground and I have to say, it was a great place to stay. I camp with my dog and sometimes I want to explore places that he can't go. Sweetwater Forest has a small doggy day care where I can safely leave him and not worry. It's air conditioned and they have mellow music on.

The comfort stations were clean and the showers have hot water and there's an outdoor sink & counter to wash dishes. The camp store is stocked with food and camping gear you may have forgotten or broke.

The campsites that I saw are not right on top of each other, my site was a little above the other sites near me and the foot path to the bathroom was clearly marked and clear.

The staff were friendly and although I did not have children with me, they have a lot of things for kids to do. There's an arcade, playground, basketball court and arcade. I definitely plan on going back and would recommend it to others.