the dyrt
THE BEST CAMPING IN
New Hampshire

When you’re camping in New Hampshire you don’t have to choose between going on a hardcore hike or relaxing in your hammock on a quiet lakeshore. With hundreds of campsites across the state—and with mountains and lakes close to so many of them—you can easily access the best of both worlds. Lake Winnipesaukee is by far the largest and best-known body of freshwater in the Granite State, but New Hampshire is dotted with bodies of water of all sizes, from the swimming holes and rushing rivers of the mountains, to the ponds and lakes lined with classic cottages in the aptly named Lakes Region.

Fortunately for all of us, mountains are just as plentiful. While Mount Washington, in the heart of the White Mountain National Forest, has the most name recognition in the state (and claims to have the worst weather in the world), it’s not even the only notable peak to bag in the Presidential Range. Adams, Jefferson, Monroe, Madison, Pierce, Eisenhower, and Jackson mountains can all be ticked off your list of New Hampshire’s 48 4,000-footers. And the White Mountains aren’t the only game in town either. Go camping at Monadnock State Park and do any number of hikes in the area, including the ever-popular Mount Monadnock, of course. Mount Monadnock’s isolated peak provides fantastic views and is one of the most frequently hiked mountains in the world.

Spend a quiet backcountry camping in New Hampshire night under a tarp, or bring beers and s’mores around the campfire at a popular state park campground like Pawtuckaway, Bear Brook, or White Lake. Consider a weekend hut trip when camping in New Hampshire, with stays at one or more of the eight huts maintained by the Appalachian Mountain Club or parking your RV and basecamping at Lafayette Campground while you tackle some of New England’s best dayhikes, like the Tuckerman-Lion Head loop on Mount Washington or the Lincoln-Lafayette loop in Franconia Notch.

The biggest challenge to camping in New Hampshire? Not having enough time to enjoy everything the Granite State has to offer.

EXPLORE NEW HAMPSHIRE
Recent Reviews in New Hampshire
Clean,quite, peaceful

There's a shower and nice lake with rentals

Hut Hiking the Presidential Range

The Appalachian Mountain Huts are backcountry locations and are “off the grid”. Mizpah Spring Hut has camping platforms and bunkrooms with toilets. This is backcountry so bunkhouses are not heated and have no lighting (bring headlamp). Plan to carry in/carry out all personal trash. It's a 3 mile hike to the hut from the trailhead. If you make reservations there is a great home cooked dinner and breakfast.

Another rustic campground great as a hiking base, more RV sites than SL1

For site selection, sites 22-26 border Zealand Rd, so you will hear the traffic heading to and from the Zeland and Sugarloaf trailheads. Tent only sites have tent/campfire areas that are a few steps up or down from the parking area. All sites are large and relatively level. This side has a large open area in the middle, great for playing games, running around, and stargazing (though the tall trees will limit the scope of your view). More of these sites are suitable for an RV than the ones at Sugarloaf 1.

As I noted in my review of Sugarloaf I, you won’t have cell service, but you’ll be in a prime location for hitting the trail early, whether you want to head up to Zealand, Hale, or over to Mt Washington. The Mt Washington Cog Railway and Bretton Woods are also just a few miles down the road.

For a short, family-friendly hike, you’ll find the trail to the Sugarloaf Mountains just after Sugarloaf II. There’s a small parking lot just before the Zealand River crossing and the trail is on the far side of the bridge. It hits a saddle and you can bag both middle and north sugarloaf in turn. Venture to the end of the road and you can catch the road to Zealand Falls and Hut, a nice place for a picnic. In addition to Zealand, longer more strenuous nearby hikes include Garfield, Galehead, Twins, Washington, Monroe, Eisenhower and more. WMNF trailhead parking is $3/day or you can buy a weekly pass at forest service and other locations; your annual National Parks pass covers parking, too.

Zealand Rd is closed during the winter, opening in the spring only after mud season has passed and the road is dried out. The campground opens after that, in late May and is open until Columbus Day. Print your reservations before you come.

For a shower, head south through Crawford Notch to Dry River Campground where there are coin-operated showers. If you are hiking or exploring in Franconia Notch, there are coin-op showers at Lafayette Place, too, but parking on weekends is a nightmare.

Fosters’ Crossroads in Twin Mountain and Bretton Woods Market and Deli are your closest spots for picking up snacks or forgotten items.

Ranger Review of Wild Zora Foods on Backpacking trip to Imp Shelter

CAMPSITE REVIEW:

Imp Shelter and Tentsite is a remote campsite maintained and authorized by the U.S Forest Service. During the summer months, it staffed and maintained by a caretaker, however, we were there during the off season. Imp Shelter is right off of the Appalachian Trail, down a short spur trail along the Carter-Moriah ridge in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

NOTE: This shelter cannot be accessed without hiking in. It is is at least 5 miles from any trail head. Furthermore, there are no supplies stored at the site, so bring your own of whatever you need--even toilet paper! Make sure to have a water filtering set up, a cooking stove, and ample sleeping set up. NO FIRES ARE ALLOWED.

We were quite impressed by the Imp Shelter site. There are 5 tent platforms, nicely spaced through the woods. The outhouse is centrally located, but not too close to anyone's sleeping spot. We especially liked the bear box, because it is one less thing to worry about--and especially important when there are marauding squirrels about!

The shelter itself is well built. There is a lower floor, and then a loft that is about 4 feet above the main floor. The floor and loft were both level, and the boards were even and free from snags and splinters. There is not a door on the shelter, so be sure to protect your food and gear from the very curious squirrels that lurk about. There are pegs on the wall to hang gear on. We slept well--a few times the playful squirrel noises woke me up, but otherwise it was quiet. We had the whole place to ourselves.

We learned form the log book that all the timbers used for constructing the shelter were harvested from the woods nearby. Pretty neat!

The water supply is a freely flowing little flume just down a little path from the shelter. The water seemed to have tannins, but was fine, and were filtered it anyways. Make sure you get plenty of water here, as there is no other easy sources on the Carter ridge.

There is a bench in the campsite, right where there is a small clearing for views, which we thought was a nice touch.

All in all, this would be a great spot to spend a night while doing a hike along the Appalachian Trail, or while exploring many of the other beautiful trails in the region. There is a fee during the summer season, but in the off season the caretaker leaves and there is no charge.

GEAR REVIEW:

As a Dyrt Ranger, I am given opportunities to test out cool gear from outdoor companies. Earlier in the summer, I received items from Wild Zora Foods to test out. We didn't use up all of the product,so for this trip, we brought along our remaining pouch of freeze dried Summit Savory Chicken. Basically, it is similar to a standard freeze-dried meal--a zip top, heat resistant bag with a meal inside. The bag is designed to even be eaten from if necessary. The thing that sets Wild Zora apart is that they don't use any artificial ingredients, they source organic where possible, and all sweeteners are natural and simple.

We had been backpacking in cold, damp conditions for 7 miles, so we were quite excited to get into camp with the promise of a high-protein, easy meal. We fired up the alcohol stove, an d watched the water slowly begin to boil. After pouring the hot water into the pouch and stirring, it took about 10 minutes for the food to be fully saturated and ready to eat.

We dug in and were impressed by the freshness of the flavors. However, it was a bit bland, and did feel like it could use more seasoning, and also additional salt. However, the chicken tasted like real chicken, as apposed to some sort of weird meat by-product. Also, there are not any artificial flavors, yeast extracts,, or other flavor enhancers common to freeze tried foods.

There is a ton of protein--the bag says it serves one person, which means there was 45 grams of protein for one person. However, my husband and I split the bag, and with some instant noodles on the side, it was a perfect amount of food. In terms of calories, given the amount of protein per bag, there was not a lot of extra calories. The vegetables used for the meal were not high-caloric ones, so bring along noodles, or other dense carbs if you want to refuel properly while hiking.

The Takeaway: I was very impressed by the simplicity of ingredients. The ingredients were all real food--someone on the AIP or Paleo diet could definitely eat this. The flavor was not exciting, but it was totally tolerable. I have heard that since I bought this meal, Wild Zora has actually reformulated ALL of their freeze dried meals, so I bet this tastes even better now. Here is the link to the updated version.

I will definitely be buying meals from this company for future trips. The simplicity of use, and the high quality ingredients are worth the price.

Rustic Campground offers great base for hiking

Just a half mile off 302 is the first of the two Sugarloaf Campgrounds. Offering large, wooded sites with more seclusion than the Zealand campground directly on 302, Sugarloaf I and nearby Sugarloaf II offer reservable sites with flush toilets and running water via hand pumps. More of the sites here are better suited to tents rather than RVs. I haven't stayed here, but I've driven through a few times this summer/fall to get a sense of it.

You won’t have cell service, but you’ll be in a prime location for hitting the trail early, whether you want to head up to Zealand, Hale, or over to Mt Washington. The Mt Washington Cog Railway, Franconia Nothc, and Bretton Woods are also just a few miles down the road.

For a short, family-friendly hike, you’ll find the trail to the Sugarloaf Mountains just after Sugarloaf II. There’s a small parking lot just before the Zealand River crossing and the trail is on the far side of the bridge. Venture to the end of the road and you can catch the road to Zealand Falls and Hut, a nice place for a picnic. In addition to Zealand, longer more strenuous nearby hikes include Garfield, Galehead, Twins, Washington, Monroe, Eisenhower and more. WMNF trailhead parking is $3/day or you can buy a weekly pass at forest service and other locations; your annual National Parks pass covers parking, too.

Year-round campground with riverfront tent sites & standard sites

I haven't stayed here, but I checked it out on Columbus Day weekend because it's one of the few campgrounds open year-round (plowed, unlike Lafayette Place, which is walk-in) in the White Mountains. Most of the reviews talk about the walk-in tent sites, but there's more to this campground that is located along the Kancamagus Highway just before the Lincoln Woods Visitors' Center.

If you're a tent camper and don't mind carrying your gear downhill to a site, drive straight ahead to a parking lot. A few of the sites (3 & 4) are accessible from the far end of the parking lot, but for most of them you'll head down the steps in the middle with sites in two levels branching out on each side. Sites are large, but close together and although you're in the woods, there's not much to separate you from your neighbors. Even sites 10-20 are directly on the water.

Sites 22-55 are suitable for RVs and tents. Those on the back side of the loop are close enough that you can hear the Pemi River running below. A few of the sites are pull-through. There are no hook-ups, but water available via spigots and flush toilets are available - except in winter. I'd recommend sites on the back side of the loop to provide some more distance from traffic noise. I chatted briefly with a host who remarked that sites on the western end of the loop have some cell phone coverage, unlike the rest of the campground.

If you stay here, you're only a few miles from Lincoln where you can pick up any necessary supplies. This end of the Kanc your nearest hiking options are Lincoln Woods and Greeley Pond for family friendly trails, or Lincoln Woods to head into the Pemi wilderness, including peaks in the Pemi loop and Owl's Head. The Hancocks are via a trail at the hairpin on the Kanc. Franconia Notch and its many hiking trails and the multi-use trail are a short drive away.

Bring cash or a check to pay your camping fee in the iron ranger. Fees cover the first vehicle; a second vehicle is an additional $5.

Brilliant Fall Foliage and RoM Pack Ranger Review at Sugarloaf Campground

CAMPGROUND REVIEW:

First off, the campground review. Sugarloaf I campground is located on Zealand Road in Carroll, NH. This is a basic, no-frills US Forest Service site. Zealand Road is the access road for 3 different popular trail heads for hikes in the White Mountains. We chose to stay at Sugarloaf to be closer to the Sugarloaf Mtn. trail head since we planned to do a sunrise hike up to Middle Sugar loaf with our children the next morning. Sugarloaf Campground is less than half a mile from the trail head.

Zealand Rd. is off of Rt 302. The campground is far enough down Zealand Road, that there was not any road noise. We visited the campground in the beginning of October on a Thursday. There are were plenty of extra sites, though several sites had signs indicating that they were already reserved for the weekend. You can call the campground management office to reserve, which would be wise for holiday weekends such as Labor Day or Columbus Day. The website is here.

The top of the campground had nice views of Middle Sugarloaf and Mt. Hale. Our campsite, #5, did not have views, but we were not bothered by this! The campsites are spaced a nice distance apart--we camped next to our friends and did not hear them at all when we were in our separate sites. There was a more energetic group two sites down, and we could hear them, but it wasn't loud.

The bathrooms are basic flush toilets, with a sink for hand washing, but no soap. Fresh water for drinking is available at several pressurized spigots that are interspersed throughout the campground.

The campground would be a PERFECT home base for hiking, or for exploring the area during foliage season. There are many maple trees in the campground, and it was exceptionally beautiful while we stayed there. Even with a little rain, the experience was magical.

GEAR REVIEW:

As a member of the Dyrt Ranger team, I am given opportunities to test out gear from various companies. This trip I was chosen to test out a RoM Pack from RoM Outdoors. I chose the pack in the Tan color.

The RoM pack is a creative design--basically an origami style design that allows it to transform from a pack to a waterproof blanket and also into a hooded poncho. The outside of the pack has large, detachable zippered pouches which are great for things like headlamps and maps. The inside of the pack is made of a soft, brushed microfiber, while the outside is a super tough nylon fabric.

I was excited to test the pack out on this particular trip because we were undertaking a sunrise hike with a bunch of kids ages 4-12, and I needed a pack that would be comfortable, while also holding plenty of gear. I was also excited because the temps on the mountain would be below freezing, and I knew the kids would want something insulating to sit on instead of bare rock. The hike I tested it on was 3.2 miles round trip.I overloaded the pack with hats, sweaters, granola bars, plenty of water, and a down sleeping bag.

I found the straps to be surprisingly comfortable, considering they are wider than any of my other pack straps. The distributed the load well. The waist and sternum strap system was a little tricky, but they did help disperse and balance the load.

The true test of the pack was when I ended up needed to give my 4 year old a ride up the mountain. I carried her in my arms, and the pack stayed secure and comfy while I huffed and puffed my way up the mountain. I really liked that once we were on the mountain, and I had unfolded the blanket, the little removable pouches kept everything small organized, so it was easy to reattach them and not lose things when we were ready to hike back down.

9 kids ended up sharing the waterproof blanket as a seat, and they all thought it was great!

IMPROVEMENTS: I wish there was a way that the back of the RoM pack could be stiffer. It tends to morph to the shape of whatever is inside it, so a bit of stiffness would distribute the load even better. Because of this, I wouldn't take it on long, strenuous hikes, but it is perfect for shorter distances where you want the option of a nice place to sit, and don't mind the slightly heavier weight.

I also wished that the water bottle pockets were slightly larger--I have Klean Kanteen regular sized bottles, and it was a tight fit to get them in.

Don't bother

Unkempt, potholed roads, "river" for kayaking was blocked by downed branches, and was barely a "river" by definition. Pillow, bounce pad costs extra ($8) for maybe an hour. It was only open for a couple hours a day. Some seasonal sites looked like they hadnt been touched for years…almost like a horror flick. Maybe they should turn this into a haunted destination. We rented a cabin, and it had mouse poop all throughout. It was definitely rustic, which we honestly didnt mind, but the mouse droppings, and the sinking floor next to the tub was a bit too much.

Friendly is in the name for a reason!

Love the facilities. Clean, well maintained, private bathrooms/showers. Store is best I have ever seen. Well stocked with everything you could need. Stayed in cabin and tented, as well. Only negative is that there transient RV sites seem crowded, and many are out in open area. I prefer trees, but this wont keep us away from trying out RV sites this year.

Old, outdated.

Campground is city owned. Very rundown. City is evaluating the site now to decide whether or not to close it.

They thought of just about everything

My mom and I don't have the same camping styles, at all. She was treating my boys and I to an adventure which included Clark's Trading Post (the bear show is a must-see) less than 30 minutes away. I wasn't going to be picky so I conceded. I was pleasantly surprised! They thought of nearly everything. There was a playground and activities for the kids, an indoor pool, and store (must spend $10 to use a card by the way). The sites were smaller than I'm used to with dispersed camping but they were still decently sized. We stayed in one of the little adorable cabins, for convenience sake, which had potable water. The boys loved it. I loved it. But no, this doesn't guarantee I'll trust my mom's camping choices from now on. Great spot nonetheless!

Boat in & Hike In Camping Along Squam Lake

Simple, but gorgeous. The association maintains about a dozen campsites in the Squam Lake area -- some hike-in and others boat-in only. There are some with tent platforms and all have fire rings (camping fee includes 1 bundle of firewood). There is a composting toilet in each camping area, but no picnic table or drinking water. Come prepared with your own water…or a filter.

We did not camp here, as we came across these campsites while hiking and canoeing with some friends who have a cabin in the area. The sites are pricey and fill up quickly when reservations open for the year on Feb 15, but the money supports the conservation of the area via the Squam Lakes Association.

The area offers water sports of all kinds, amazing views, spectacular hiking and backpacking in the White Mountains and some cute little villages along the local highways. Nearest town is Meredith, about 10 minutes away, and has all that you need for your camping trip.

Spacious wooded site, but a lot of tree thinning; great base for hiking

Jigger Johnson is a first-come, first serve campground on the Conway (eastern) end of the Kancamagus highway, not far from Passaconaway Campground to the west and Bear Notch Rd to the east. Moose like to frequent the wallows between these campgrounds, so drive cautiously around dusk and dawn.

Sites are large and level, some offering access to the Swift River. They've cut/thinned a lot of the trees around sites on the interior of the loop as you'll see in some of the photos I've shared, so there's more sunlight making its way through. This campground is one of the few WMNF campgrounds offering showers (bring quarters for the $2.50/7 minute shower).

This is a great location if you want to hike Mt Chocura or some of the more family-friendly trails up Hedgehog or Potash, Sabbaday or Champney Falls, or Rocky Gorge. I tend to explore on foot, but a ranger at the Saco Ranger district did recommend some mountain biking off Bear Notch Rd and in Conway. If you need to pick up a map or other information about the area, stop by the ranger station at the beginning of the Kanc (there's one on either end). Bear Notch Rd. also offers some nice views. If you want to go tubing, head over to Conway (avoid this late in the season when water levels are low) where multiple outfitters offer tubing on the Saco. All the shopping you need is in Conway & North Conway, but the summer weekend traffic can be offputting.

No cell service or wifi. Bring cash or check to pay your camping fee ($24 in 2018; $5 for a second car).

Location is amazing

While this campground is small and your lucky if you can get milk in thr camp store. The location is amazing. We had a river site. It was huge! But tight getting our 30 ft camper in the site but after setting up camper and 2 10 men tents we still had so much room. Close enough to walk to town and shop eat or bar hop! Close enough to some of the north country sites like the basin ect. Also a car museum. Small campground!

Hands down my favorite place

Love this place. The camp store offers pleanty of stuff. Activity’s for children and adults. Love the pond. The new owners are amazing! And its not glamping. Every site seems perfect. With the hidden gem ones as well. My whole family loves going here! Stayed 2x thos yr. and booked 9 days next july and some in oct. close enough to home so my husband can comuit for work as well. Halloween themed weekend was so incredibly fun. The seasonal sights go all out!

Happy calm place

Love this place for a quick calm weekend. Floating and kayaking! While were there it flooded rhe owners were great checking on people and offering help. While u can float down the river and take out u can also go to ossippe lake and take out there as well.

WMNF rustic campground on the Kanc

There are 2 Big Rock Campgrounds in NH and they are very different! This is not the resort campground convenient to ATV trails, but a rustic campground offering large, level, wooded sites along the Kancamagus Highway just 2 miles east of the Lincoln Woods Visitor Center. It's a great location for exploring the sites and beautiful vistas along the Kancamagus, easy access to Franconia Notch and Lincoln, NH. Lincoln also offers a grocery store, restaurants, stores selling outdoor gear, moose tours, and adventure tours (zip/climbing).

Some of the sites are tent only, with parking separated from the tent pad/fire ring/picnic table. Others are large and level with ample space for RVs. You'll get some traffic noise, but there's less here than at places along 3 & 93.

There are no reservations; all sites are first-come, first serve and it's open from mid-May to mid-October. Bring cash or a check to pay for your campsite. It's self-service with an iron ranger. Fee (2018) is $22, an extra $5 for a second car.

Water is available. There are vault toilets and no showers. No cell phone service.

Nice base for exploring Crawford Notch

This state park campground located between Rte 302 and the Dry River in Crawford Notch is a great location for exploring family friendly trails to (Sawyer Pond, Arethusa Falls, Willard Cliffs to name a few) or longer excursions to Mt Washington and other peaks in the Whites & Presidentials. Story Land is an easy drive, too, if you have young children.

Fees are a reasonable $25/night. Facilities include clean bathrooms with showers. In addition to the full-service, handicap accessible wash house, there are vault toilets around the loop. Cell service is poor to absent throughout Crawford Notch. If you need to connect, drive south toward Bartlett or North to Bretton Woods.

Sites are spacious, level, and wooded, though some have no real demarcation between them. This can be good if you are with friends and reserve sites side by side (2 & 3; 12 & 13), Because most of the sites are on the outside of the loop or opposite sides of the road, you won't feel surrounded. There are no hookups. Site are back-in. A few of the drive-to sites include small lean-tos. In addition, there are a few sites that are more secluded, set back further in the woods and providing a tent platform as well as a fire ring and picnic table. The entire campground is close to the road, so you will hear traffic noise. Sites 27-31 are particularly close to the main road. Although sites 2-7 appear to be far from the river, it's still just a short walk. There's a formal trail to the river from the back of the loop, near 16B (lean-to). Reservations open 11 months in advance. Mid-Oct to Dec 1 sites are walk-in only. Pre-register online and bring your print-out with you to save yourself some time.

There's no camp store, though they do have firewood for sale if you see someone. During the peak season, i expect the sites fill up in advance, but this early in the season there were sites available for Friday night when I checked in (though most only for 1 night; Saturday night was definitely harder to come by). If you haven't stocked up in advance, your best bet for groceries when coming from the south/east are Grant's Supermarket at the junction of 302 & 16 or your choice of major supermarkets in Conway.

Remote camping win!

The remote campsites at the norther end or Umbagog Lake are wonderful. This trip consisted of my family of five with three kids (ages 5-13), our dog, and friends. We put our boats in at the National Wildlife Refuge and paddled in on Bear Brook. The paddle was just around 2.5 miles and calm flat water. Just perfect for our kids, and far enough feel remote but easy enough for our kids. The sites have a pit toilet and fire ring. While there were plenty of eagles, loons, and fish we only saw two other boats the entire weekend.

Rural seasonal campground in coastal New Hampshire

My family stayed at this campground for a month and a half while we finished up our obligations before we hit the road full time. The sites were spacious in wooded area near a small river. The road in is dirt but is mostly level. The majority of the campground were seasonal campers who had really settled in. We felt a little out of place. The pool and the store were nice. They had a few family events that were also fun and great for kids. The bugs, however, really prevented us from enjoying spending time outdoors. Our experience with the staff and owners was hit or miss. Sometimes they were extremely nice and friendly, other times it was like they were looking for an argument. The location was convenient to Durham and Dover, and only 25 minutes to Portsmouth. Overall, I would recommend the campground but with some hesitation.

Quiet, serene. Basic.

A jewel! Quiet, beautiful small lake/pond great for paddling.

Something for everyone

Lovely wooded campground where you can swim, hike, kayak, bike, canoe, fish, boulder, geocache and explore to your heart's content. Generally large and level sites, many with water access, Make your reservation well in advance if you're planning to visit during peak season or if you want a prime waterfront site. Sites on Horse Island will cost you $5 more than those on Big Island, but many of the sites are directly on the water, making it easy to slip your boat into the lake from your site. There's a campers only boat launch on Horse Island. Much of the lake is better suited to paddle craft rather than motor boats due to it's shallow nature and rocks. The an expansive beach as well, a camp store and boat rentals.

I've had a weekend when my neighbors were playing loud music all afternoon and stumbled drunk through my campsite after dark and other weekends when it was hard to tell there was anyone around.

Driving around this past weekend I did notice that some of the sites had damp spots; site 71 was the worst with deep mud on the long approach. Site 73 is near the bath house, but it has a long approach that provides a little privacy and it's higher than the surrounding sites with water access. Sites in the 3-15 range are waterfront, but they're higher off the water. Site 43-45 are great. Those along the southern edge of Horse Island offer a more level entry. Roads are narrow and many of the site entrances are narrow with rock/tree obstructions in places that may make backing in more of a challenge to thsoe with trailers or RVs. No hookups.

The bath houses are tired, but they offer free showers. Would love to see them renovated and brightened up. Big Island also has cabins available. Phone coverage is poor (Verizon); can usually get texts out. If you want to geocache, download the info for offline use!

If you are used to camping with pets, you'll need to visit outside of peak season as they are not allowed in the campground Memorial Day to Columbus Day and never on the beach.

It has a longer season than many campgrounds in New Hampshire, running to the end of October, and you can generally get a site last minute if you're waiting on the weather and don't need/want a water site. Its proximity to Boston makes it great for a quick getaway.

Fantastic base for day hikes in Franconia Notch

The best reason to stay here is if you are planning to hike in the Franconia Notch area, esp. if you want to hike Franconia Ridge, doing the loop up Falling Waters and down Bridle Path. You won't have to fight for a parking spot and it will be easy to get an early start, which is particularly important if you plan to do this hike on a pleasant weekend day! On the same side of the park are trails to Lonesome Lake and on up to Cannon and the Kinsman range. The Pemi River and Trail run through the campground as does the paved multi-purpose trail, so if biking's more your thing, it's a nice way to explore attractions through the Notch.

It's sandwiched between the mountains and the highway, so sites are close together and you WILL hear traffic, but it offers bathrooms with flush toilets and hot showers ($) and dishwashing sinks. The majority of the sites are reservation only and summer weekends you'll want to plan ahead. There's a camp store with a few camp essentials, dry firewood, souvenirs, and a table to sit and explore hiking plans, etc. They post weather information out front and there is a hiker information center out front as well.

Some of the sites along the river are better suited to tents than trailers, with the tent/table/fire on a pad closer to the river. Most sites are wooded, though there are a few (15 & 16) in an open grassy area in a separate loop that is up the hill behind the camp store.

Large sites, few amenities, convenient for hiking

Just a few miles from the AT and about 10 miles west of North Woodstock, convenient for heading up to Mt Moosilauke or up the Kinsman Ridge. Other activities in the area are Clark's Trading Post, Franconia Notch State Park, all the hikes and adventures along the Kanc.

There's potable water available and pit toilets. Sites are large and level, as they usually are in the White Mountain National Forest campgrounds. Some of them are better suited to tents than trailers/RVs.

Sites are first-come, first served, and because it's on a less-traveled stretch of 112, I suspect it fills later than other campgrounds. Cell phone coverage is poor to absent. You can hear some road traffic, but not as much as other campgrounds in the Woodstock/Lincoln/Franconia area. Fees were only $18 summer of 2018; an extra car was $5 more. Campground is open May-October, closing at noon on Columbus Day.

Small Private Campground tie-ed to a large general store and restaurant

Pretty small campground. Kind of expensive for how close the sites are. I think we paid +$40 for one night. It's very nice to be right on the river which is why we chose this campground online.

Pretty standard.

Our fire pit was in a depression near the river but it was sloped in a way where you couldn't put chairs near it so we ended up sitting on the ground which was a little uncomfortable. Firewood bundle was $8 and was kind if damp. Took a long time and a lot of work to get it burning.

Could hear the road noise pretty much from everywhere in the campground. Not remote at all if you are looking for deep woods kind peace and quiet.

Small and Family friendly and has that 40s vibe that's very charming.

We were welcomed by a lovely little house used as the Ranger station. A fire kept it warm and cozy. The ranger was very pleasant. We bought some fire wood for $6 a bundle… there was a private seller down the road selling it for $4.

Easy check-in. We reserved the last available site and it was near the bathroom which I wasn't that excited about but it was actually quite nice.

Nice bathrooms. Nice Shower building. Good wash-sinks.

Our site appeared to be the only one with 2 fire pits. One of them was a nice cooking/barrel type of set-up that all the other sites had. The second was an older stone and cement pit with a back wall that was perfect for sitting in front of on a chilly October evening.

Year-round camping convenient to Franconia and Crawford Notches

This is one of the rare New Hampshire campgrounds that is open year round. For years I drove by this campground deterred by the run-down, deserted red building next door that is NOT associated with the campground. On a last-minute whim I called and snagged one of the final two sites for the holiday weekend, spending 3 nights here. I wanted to be someplace where I could track the baseball playoffs, so finding a place with wifi (fair, better closer to the bath house) and 2-3 bar 3G/4G Verizon access was a plus. This campground has a large number of seasonal sites, but also has sites available for the occasional camper, with discounts available if you stay for a week.

Sites are wooded, generally moderately sized, though the seasonal sites are much larger. Tent sites do not have hook-ups, but they have small shelters that provide additional protection fro the weather. Some of the tent sites are sloped. They also tend to be long and narrow, opening up to a wider area with the picnic table, fire pit and tent pad. Tent sites in the K row are near the road, so although you don't get much campground noise, you do hear road traffic.

The bathhouse is clean, well-lit, and heated (a treat on those cold autumn mornings). There's also a laundry room with 4 washers and dryers if you need to clean up or dry out after a rough day on the trails. Sites are close to each other. They've separated sites with fence panels in some places to provide some privacy. There's an inground pool, a large playground, and a horsehoe pit.

Activities in the area include very convenient access to hiking trails ranging from family friendly Surgarloafs to classic 4000-footers along Franconia Ridge, and peaks along the northern ridge of the Pemi Wilderness (Garfield, Galehead, Twins), trails to Mt Washington and the Presidentials, as well as numerous peaks and waterfalls in the Crawford Notch area. Cog railway is just a few miles down the road if you want to catch an early ride. Trails for ATVs and snowmobiles are also nearby.

Beautiful and spacious campground

My husband and I camped here over the long weekend. It was reasonably priced and we had ample space. In addition to our designated spot, we had access to a large open space behind that many people utilized to play games or expand their camping area. We also were able to access the water pump in several spots close by. The bathroom was very clean. They even had an "outdoor" cleaning space to wash our dishes. It was the perfect spot to camp for our day hikes at Mt. Moriah, Mt. Cabot, Bulge and the Horn!

Definitely will come back again!

Cant beat view over lake into the white mountains

Fun and beautiful spot to stay. Can be crowded in summer months. Hike in is fairly easy, caretaker on site most nights. Will supply food and water if purchased. Must reserve to stay

Tough hike in, but worth it for the quiet and secluded location

The hike in isnt easy especially considering you'll need to carry all your gear in to stay.

Amazing stay, no signs of society (airplanes/cars/phone service). Stayed in the new shelter on the edge of the pond. There are a few tent platforms also. There is a raised toilet.

Good spot to stay to bag a few mountain peaks also