THE BEST CAMPING IN
Vermont
Camping Vermont

Vermont is not only one of the best places to live and work in the U.S.; it’s also a hugely popular vacation destination. All seasons have their own charm in this freethinking New England state, from the long, snowy winters to gloriously sunny summers and, of course, the breathtaking fall foliage. It comes as no surprise that Vermont is popular among campers. Along with hiking, skiing and fishing, camping in Vermont is among the greatest things to do in this gorgeous state.

Vermont is one of the least populated American states, home to vast forests, accessible mountains, and picturesque villages. Whether you come for fishing or hiking, kayaking or skiing, Vermont has it all in world-class quality. Fishing on Lake Champlain can be done all year long – ice fishing in winter through boat trips in summer – while kayaks and canoes are welcome on most rivers and lakes. Hiking, however, is arguably the most practiced outdoor pursuit in the Green Mountain State. Trails crisscross across the land, running along the beautiful Lake Champlain shoreline and up to the highest Green Mountain peaks, such as Camels Hump and Mount Mansfield. Vermont is also home to the oldest long-distance trail in the United States, the Long Trail. This path runs from the Massachusetts border all the way north to Canada, following the crest of the Green Mountains. A section of the beloved Appalachian Trail cuts through the state’s southern part as well. Rest assured that you’ll find plenty of camping in Vermont on the way, along the trails, on riverbanks and lakeshores. Are you a winter camper, too? We sure hope so! Vermont happens to be one of North America’s best destinations for skiing, snowboarding, and snowshoeing. With renowned resorts such as Killington, Sugarbush and Stowe, it’s a winter sports enthusiast’s paradise.

No matter what adventures you’re after, Vermont has you covered. And at The Dyrt, we’re always ready to help you find the best camping in Vermont.

Recent Reviews in Vermont
Great small park

Only 8 campsites, dispersed in the trees. $23/night. Picnic table and fire pit. Moderate cell service. Nice hikes and cool views of the area!

Basic sites

Basic well spaced campsites. Flush toilets. No cell service. Allows dogs and cats. Dirt road to campground, friendly staff.

Family friendly

A great atmosphere for everyone in our family. If we make it back out there we definitely will be staying again!

Lovely campsite but poor service

Pulled up and the woman at the gatehouse was on the phone with a lady trying to make a reservation. The lady didn't acknowledge ua at all for about 5 mins! We sat there for about 15-20 mins before we were helped. She ended up putting the lady on speakerphone so she could input her information easier. The lady gave her name, address, phone number, and credit card number to her as we sat there and could hear everything! It blew my mind! If I was that lady I would not want to share that info via speakerphone! We got a great campsite though, right on the water. Not very busy there. We rented a canoe for halfday $30 for 4hrs. We ended up returning it early because we paddled the whole lake in about an hour and a half, and we weren't trying to. Thought the boat rental was a bit pricey for the size of the lake/places to explore. We also looked forward to going up to Owl's Head for sunset. We went up during the day and decided it would be beautiful at sunset so we planned to come back. We came back nearly an hour before sunset and found the gate was locked at the bottom of the drive. The signs said it was open until dusk, but apparently someone didn't know what dusk meant. Very disappointed!!! If you want to go to Owl's Head for sunset plan to hike up from the campground because you won't be able to drive up to the parking lot anytime close to sunset.

It was alright

The campground isn’t bad however there’s not much to do in the area unless you want to take a 20-30 minute drive. Campground probably isn’t suitable for kids as they have zero activities. It was a good campground for a quick weekend getaway but not a place I’d want to spend more than a couple days at.

Heaven

This is without a doubt my favorite place to camp. The people are great, the river is as fun as it gets no matter the season and the new owners went out of their way to assure we had a great stay.

Vacation Destination

We have been coming here for the last 14 years together, and my husband since he was a baby. Lovely small quaint town and beautiful campground. The beach is the best! Not overcrowded. Great place to go kayaking, jump off the dock, or go search for the log! Best camping out there!

Really nice semi-remote campground

Great tent camping area with good privacy at sites. Would be tough for any but the tiniest RV. No water. Well maintained, and nice access to trails right from the campground.

Clean and quiet

Nice clean place to stay!! Everyone was respectful of everyones space and the quiet hours!! Great prices!! Definitely will be a place we go back to!!

Great VT state park

Very clean, quiet and well-managed state park. Exactly what I’ve come to expect from the VT State Park campgrounds. The prime tent locations book quickly but those are definitely the ones to go for, as they have private access to the water. Otherwise you have to go around the lake/reservoir to swim. Firewood is very good; $6/bundle and ice for $2/bag. Helpful staff.

Secluded and quiet

Remote campsite #9 was a bit wet this spring but in truth everything has been wet here in Vermont this year. 3 night get away with son, and first time on Kettle pond. The gnats were bearable with our head netting and weather was cooperative for us during the day. Site #9 had plenty of places to hang our hammocks, we chose the nearest location to the lean-to. The trail around the pond went around the lean-to but hikers were only noticeable visually. We canoed around to look at other sites and # 10 was without a lean-to but a pretty nice spot at the very end of the pond. The other remote sites were mostly occupied so did not get a great view. The ones at the entrance would be good for group camping.

Quiet family friendly

Our family loves this campground. We come here for softball and they are so accommodating. Plus the have an amazing Ice cream stand. I will post a video of their back field. My daughters always make me hit softballs to them here. Here is a brief fly over and a couple photos. Plus one of me chasing my son with my drone.

Great small boating area!

Clean open and level camping areas. Prime areas are near the water some what elevated but you are able to drag your boat through on paths. Ice and firewood sold at $6.00 a bundle and it is Kiln dried so it burns fast. If it is windy I would move away from the water. Staff was young but were pleasant and accommodating and will deliver wood and ice. Great biking on paved areas.

On the shore of Champlain

Stayed here 1 night in June. Quiet out of the way state park on the shore of Lake Champlain. Rangers were ridiculously nice. Sites were big and grass covered; but without many trees for hammocks. Fire rings and tables at each site. Central bathroom and water supply. Beautiful sunset overlooking the lake.

Beautiful and quiet

Beautiful campground in south central Vermont.  On a lovely emerald green small lake with nice beach. Good for fishing and kayaking.  Well kept. Was very quiet when we visited though I suspect it's much busier in mid summer.  Near Manchester, which has numerous great restaurants and a fabulous bookstore.

Great if you don’t stay up late

A group of us went here 2 years back and loved the facilities. Clean showers, camp sites where beautiful and maintained. Could not say enough about the beauty of the place and where it is situated in reference to trails and other outdoor activities. The one downside is they police the quiet time. My friend and I where chatting around the fire, not loudly mind you and where told that we needed to keep it down. Would have given this a five star for sure if it wasn’t for having to go to bed early because we couldn’t talk around the fire.

Delightful

This place is pretty awesome. They have an ice cream shop attached to their office/store, mini golf just outside of it too. There is an amphitheater for concerts and shows throughout the summer. RV Spots, tent camping spots, a dog park, badminton, basketball, horseshoe, shuffleboard, the works. The bathrooms are beautifully redone and clean. The laundry room is pretty good too. Its close to Brattleboro and Putney and just across the border to New Hampshire. I'd most definitely stay again when I'm in the area. The other guest were very nice and we could also have packages delivered.

Relaxing

Nice sites. Friendly staff, Mary is AWESOME! Had site 9 two years in a row. Love it. Right on the river. Clean bathrooms. Not a great place for kids…no pool, arcade, etc…..but perfect for adults. Love it!

Nice and clean, friendly staff.

I was here 2 nights. Wasn’t able to make the check in time, wasn’t a problem. They left a envelope on the office door with directions that led right to my site. Bathrooms are clean and nice with hot water. Our site was nice and big and shaded. Overall great campground.

Great campground

This campground is very local to us. We have stayed here before in the passed and had a great time. They have a great little store and now they have Vermont Maple soft serve ice cream from my understanding. Kids love to play here and mini golf on site makes it even better.

Beautiful campground

I just took our Cub Scout Pack here and it was amazing. Bring Deet the bugs are thick but the things the kids learned and got to do they were entertained for the weekend. The parents had a blast as well. The fish were bitting all day long for catch and release fishing for our scouts which was perfect because some of the them kids never fished before. It’s a great quite place for camping and just enjoying the wildlife of Vermont!

Basic Camping but awesome!

Semi private tent only camping in a beautiful field! Can pull your car right up to the site. Super quiet and secluded. Literally feet away from kingdom trails. Drinking water available and bike wash. Bathroom is a (super clean) porta-potty. Sick spot!

A great getaway.

Here is a wonderful State Park with all the amenities. Located about as far north as you can go on the East coast located on lake Champlain you won't be disappointed camping here

Great State Park

Great for Campers and tenters. Good fishing and plenty of hiking.

Great State campground

Great for Tenters and small campers. Plenty of Bug spray will be needed but well worth it.

I like this campground

This is NOT a fancy campground, it is a real campground that bends over backward to make it a pleasure to be there. Sites are large enough so that you feel you have your own site and stretch out some.  Good electric etc, some sites with sewer.  WE camp on a site on the river, some sites you can hear the river rushing over the rocks and some not but we like the view of the river when outside.  We like exploring wherever we camp and Braintree is very interesting and has interesting surrounding towns etc.

Good secluded campsights

Great campground!!!

Great place to camp; very friendly staff, and lots of activities!!

Great weekend in Jamaica !

Clean well kept level areas! Staff was friendly! Great hiking or biking along the West River!

Our favorite campground!

, Spacious, wooded sites, super clean…friendly, helpful owners and gorgeous setting! Lots to do too