The best camping in
Maine

Camping Maine

Thinking of camping in Maine, and you’re likely thinking of two regions: DownEast, where Acadia National Park and Portland steal the show, or along the southern coast, where Wells and Old Orchard Beach are popular. While these places are certainly well worth a visit, limiting your experiences to these coastal haunts, means missing out on some of the best camping in Maine…and there’s a lot. Indeed, Maine covers nearly one-half of the total area of New England. With over 30 state parks, the first national park east of the Mississippi, and, depending on the way you hike it, either the beginning or the end of the 2181 miles of the Appalachian Trail, Maine has a little something to offer even the greenest camper among us.

Southern Maine is a typically more crowded area. The water is a bit warmer than Maine’s northern beaches, and the beaches typically less rocky. For those looking for a break from the surf, there are shopping outlets, mini golf courses, and numerous spots to grab some fresh lobster. Old Orchard Beach has long been a New England summer tradition; trading quiet camping for go-kart races and thrilling rides, this area is chock full of summer fun. Looking to escape the crowds while camping in southern Maine? Head inland to kayak and camp along the Saco River, as it carves its way from New Hampshire’s White Mountains through to the Atlantic.

Most campers head to the ocean come summer, so you’ll find solitude amongst the trees, lakes and rivers of inland Maine. Moosehead Lake has some of the best camping in Maine, with numerous lakeside camp spots and deserted beaches off of one of the lake’s dozens of tiny islands. Bring your own canoe, or rent one, and spend the day leisurely paddling alongside loons and other waterfowl; if you’re quiet, you might even happen upon a moose. There are a number of campgrounds to choose from, and many offer secluded lakefront sites. If you are looking to stretch your legs and gain some altitude, head to nearby Baxter State Park. Hiking Maine’s highest peak, Mount Katahdin, is an intense hike that’ll reward you with unparalleled views over Maine’s seemingly endless backcountry. Fair warning: this hike isn’t for children (in fact, no children under six are allowed above the treeline anywhere in Baxter State Park). Nor is it for the faint of heart: its ridgeline is sheer, dropping off some 5,000 feet into Maine’s ancient wilderness below.

Downeast Maine is a remote area that has some of the most beautiful coastline in the world, and some of the most beautiful camping in Maine. Iconic lighthouses, piles of fresh lobster, and seaside hikes that rival inland Maine’s rugged peaks, exploring this area is a must. With Portland, Bangor, and small coastal towns like Bar Harbor, Kennebunkport and Freeport, there are no shortages of places to explore. Our favorite downeast adventure? Camp in Acadia, where you can hike to the top of Cadillac Mountain and watch as the sun sets over the rugged atlantic coastline. For those early risers, catching the sunrise from October to March means you’re catching the first of the sun as it rises over the US.

Whether you’re looking for backcountry seclusion or prefer the comforts of car camping, camping in Maine has a little something to offer all of us. True to its slogan, it really is the way life should be.

Recent Reviews in Maine
Great sites and super convenient

My wife and I went up during Columbus Day weekend for some fall fishing and leaf peeping. We had a tent site that had tons of room. Camp store was great. Camp is just outside of Greenville so it’s super easy to go into town if you forgot anything. The only thing I wasn’t a fan of was I could hear the road noise from rt.6. In my opinion if I’m headed up to moosehead I would want to camp in the middle of the woods. But overall we had a great time.

Breathtakingly beautiful lake

This was the second of four huts on Maine Huts and Trails network of trails and it is situated very close to a gorgeous lake. The fall colors were at peak when we were there. I had never heard of Maine Huts and Trails (a small non-profit organization) and likely would not have if we had not traveled with an organized group for a three-day hut to hut experience. Although they are called huts, I would call them lodges. There is a large main area with showers, compostable toilets, a kitchen, and shared dining and living room space. There is a pack-in, pack-out policy. There are no electrical outlets or cell service, so you are off the grid.

The bunkhouses are shared and each one accommodates up to eight people.

Now for the bad news: One of the four huts (Poplar Stream) has already temporarily closed and all the huts are in jeopardy of not operating during the winter due to a severe financial shortfall. The catch 22 is that they likely do not have money for advertising so very few people know about them. I’m hopeful that by spreading the word on The Dyrt, more people will discover how beautiful they are, become members, donate to them, volunteer, and/or hopefully enjoy time spent in one of the huts.

Beautiful lodging you may not be able to visit!

I had never heard of Maine Huts and Trails (a small non-profit organization) and likely would not have if we had not traveled with an organized group for a three-day hut to hut experience. Poplar Flat is one of four gorgeous huts (and huts do not begin to describe these accommodations– they are more like lodges) on a trail system. The huts were constructed 11 years ago, and Poplar Stream was the first one completed. The main “hut” has showers, radiant heat floors, and compostable toilets. There are no electrical outlets or cell service, so this is an off-grid experience. There is a pack-in, pack-out policy.

The bunkhouses are shared and each one accommodates up to eight people. When it is open and staffed, meals are provided, and the food is good. Dietary needs are taken into account.

Now for the bad news: Poplar Flats hut is currently not open to the public (we stayed there as part of a group) and all of the huts are in jeopardy of not operating during the winter due to a severe financial shortfall. The catch 22 is that they likely do not have money for advertising so very few people know about them. I’m hopeful that by spreading the word on The Dyrt, more people will discover how beautiful they are, become a member, donate to them, volunteer, and hopefully enjoy time spent in one of the huts (I believe that the other three are still open).

Immaculate!

This is our first visit to Sandy Pines and we are so impressed with how well groomed this property is. We stayed in the Beach Rose section and we have full hookups. We took a mid- September vacation and love how nice it is with fellow campers spread out. We are not resort campers, but this is very nice now that children are back in school. The pool is heated and very inviting. There is a playground. So many choices of cabins or glamping tents to rent. Dogs are welcome. Big rig friendly. Very close to attractions and restaurants and stores. We will be back next year with friends. We camped in our Minnie Winnie travel trailer. The Wi-Fi is hit and miss unsecured. Mostly miss.

Nice and close to Boothbay Harbor

This is a nice place to visit. We had full hook ups. The sites are close together . We were camping with friends so this was bonus us. They provide a garbage can at each site. The laundry room was clean and and appears well maintained. They are close to the Railroad Museum so you can hear the train whistles during the day. We were close to the road so road noises were noticeable. The staff is very friendly. We visited on Indigenous Peoples weekend. The leaves were at their peak and the nights were crisp. We enjoyed our time very much.

Perfect.

Review for Blackwoods campground.

We trekked up from Rhode Island to Acadia and had every intent on staying at seawall. However, once we made the 7 hour drive, we decided to stay somewhere a little closer to where we intended on hiking. Blackwoods campground is a wonderful option for those of you interested in hanging around bar harbor or hiking the Beehive trail. The campground itself is wonderfully cared for and we were very pleased to be able to come right in without a reservation. It gets super busy on weekends and in season so a reservation is suggested. Bathrooms are clean, there is a dish water dump station, potable water sources throughout and dumpsters to keep trash out of your site. You also cant beat that public transportation (thanks LL Bean!) It allows you to keep the car at the site if you want and pick up a bus at pretty much all trailheads. The rangers at Blackwoods were very knowledgable and friendly. Thanks for a perfect couple of days, Acadia!

Gear Review of Morsel at Blackwoods Campground

If you guys have read my other reviews, generally i get gear that i never really would have gotten otherwise. Dont get me wrong, its always amazing stuff, but this was the first practical review i have conducted where i have truly felt like “where the heck has this been my whole life??”

These hyper-utensils are not just a spork. They are a fork, spoon, knife and serving spoon, or chili stirrer, or package opener. This was truly the only thing we needed as far as utensils went, and all four of us were very happy. My husband is a chef and makes some pretty elaborate camping meals. These morsels held up and threw down. And (perhaps most importantly) they were a breeze to clean!! I will be getting more in the future, i am five star pleased with this wonderful product. Get your own here- available in two sizes! https://morselspork.com

Very nice campground

I enjoyed staying here, the campground was quiet, clean, and the staff and owners were very friendly… I would recommend and will be ack

Overpriced

This campground is overpriced for the location, amenities and condition of the sites. The lay of the land is sloped and they need to improve drainage of run off. The site was very wet with standing water making most of the site unusable. The post that the electrical box and water was hooked to was in standing water. The water hose coming out of the ground had a leak and was spurting out water. I was given a price and paid half at time of booking. Upon arriving at campground I was charged additional fees. When asking why I was being charged so much more than what I was originally told the explanation was I don't know. I had to push to get this info. It boiled down to that I had changed my reservation due to a conflict. At that time I was never advised of a price change so what a shock upon arrival. I pushed back I was told sorry it is what it is. I was a first time visitor to this campground and will not be returning.

Typical but nice National Park campground

Fairly typical national park campground. Two huge loops; sites varied in size; some were clearly for tents only as they had huge boulders that separated the driveway area from the rest of the campsite. Ours was site A46 and was a large pull-through. Easy access to the bathroom which was clean. I thought there were enough trees to separate the sites and provide privacy. Generators are annoying but their allowable hours are limited. Unusual that there were windows in the bathroom, and you could see into the handicapped stall from the windows! No showers, no hookups, no hot water. I did like the“drain” for dishwater– I’ve never seen one like this before. It was located just outside of the bathrooms in the A Loop. The biggest plus to this campground is access to the Cadillac Mountain trail, a challenging but rewarding hike! Also, as a senior, can't beat the price of $15 per night!

Acadia

We stayed here 2 nights going to Acadia last summer. No issues, but can’t remember much about it.

Quick stay

Stayed here going to Acadia. Didn’t spend much time here. Did have a wheel bearing go out on the trailer, and some folks at the park were helpful in finding parts and offering tools.

Big Family Campground

Spent the weekend here for their Halloween weekend. So much to do at this campground! The only issue was Saturday night. Golf carts are available to rent but there was a lot that went buzzing by after quiet hours & kept us awake.

Wish all campgrounds were this nice!

Moe and her husband built this campground after he retired (sadly, he has since passed away so now Moe and her energetic dog, Rusty, run the place). It is located just a few miles down the road from the state park with the same name (I was a bit confused at first, thinking the state park has a campground, which it does not). This is a small, fifteen site campground located on the Bear River, and it is immaculate. It is obvious that Moe takes great pride in her campground with many little touches like flowers and seasonal, yet tasteful decorations. There was only one additional site occupied when we were there, so it was very quiet. Our site (site 7) backed up directly to the river with a path to access it. The restrooms were spotless, as was the shower. There is no additional fee to use the shower and it had plenty of hot water and a great spray. Sites are all level and trees provide sufficient privacy between them. In the middle, there is a grassy area with a table, several Adirondack chairs, and a horseshoe pit. There is potable and non-potable water, and a dump station and an information board with information on nearby hiking trails and weather.

Very nice campground for both small RV's and tents

Beautiful campground located on the water. Clean, hot showers ($1.00 for 5 minutes) a gathering place with free wi-fi, coffee and pastries for sale, kayaks for rent and many other amenities. Campers over 20 feet are not allowed. The sites are large however the terrain is difficult to navigate. There is NO dump station located at the campground however a few miles down the road, there is a campground that allows you to use theirs for a $20.00 fee.

Not my favorite

To be honest, I think $30 is a little much for a campground that doesn’t have much amenities. Also, there isn’t any privacy for the sites. We could see our neighbors in every direction from our site. It is close to some Acadia attractions and hikes, so this made it worth it.

Decent National park camping

In my opinion this campground was much nicer than sea wall, which is also in the national park. This campground was nice, but there isn’t much privacy in the spots. The campground has access to some hikes, which is nice. You can hike to Cadillac mountain from here and you can also go to the ocean side.

Amazing spot!

This place was absolutely amazing! The campground is on the same land as an organic dairy farm! You get to be a part of the farm experience and see how a farm operates. We saw them milking the cows and feeding the other animals. There are also greenhouses and plants everywhere. A lot of the spots are right on the water, which is beautiful. There are trails to the shore along the campground. Showers and bathrooms were great!

Had a lovely visit

I loved the camp ground. Friendly and helpful staff, fun activities, beautiful pool. Everything was clean and worked. Lots to do in the area. Just one sour note at the campground: the noise. There was a lot of it. Worst was our neighbors who were unaware of the many children with them. The kids would step on our sewer hose. They were riding bikes on our hose. The entirety of the 2 families were still up at 2 am blaring music. The camp owners were great though. They came buy at 8 am and kicked them out. Had to wake them to do it, hehe…

Good

Working hard. Wifi is spotty and slow.

Nice campground!

This is a huge campground with very nice wooded spots! We stayed on a Friday night and there weren’t many people. The bathrooms and showers are nice as well. The campground has a trail to the beach of the lake! Many trails are available in the park too.

Best place to stay to explore Bar Harbor & Acadia NP.

Very nice kept grounds, FHU, spacious sites. Friendly staff, and a great home for exploring the area. We stayed 2 weeks and wished it could have been longer.

Beautiful Scenery

We booked the Anchor site at Somes Sound View Campground and absolutely loved the Campground and the site. The site was waterfront - definitely worth the extra money, gorgeous views and plenty of space to spread out our two tents and food prep/cooking area. There isn’t a ton of privacy, as there are 2 other sites in the area, but plenty of trees to section off the sites. The Campground has a clean bathhouse, paddleboats and kayaks (for a fee), staff is very friendly. Definitely recommend this campground.

Great place

Perfect basecamp for outdoor adventures. Sites are very large. Facilities are very clean and cleaned daily. It was very quiet the 3 nights we were there (but it was also after Labor Day). Lakefront sites have gorgeous views. We saw loons and bald eagles on the lake daily. There is cell service for both Verizon & AT&T. The market right outside the campground entrance has just about everything you might need. We will definitely be back.

Basic Camping

Just a basic field that can accommodate tents & big RVs. Big field in the back that my dog loved to run around in. Water & electrical hookups. Next to a big road that you can hear. There is a little bathhouse with toilets & a shower. Also does have a washer/dryer available. We stayed in a camper during September/October so there weren’t many people around.

Great spot to camp and bike!

Great camping here!!! Campground host was wonderful and so considerate. The sites are a little close together but some are set back. Campground was not full when we stayed. Dog friendly, toilets, SHOWERS, and the most adorable communal outdoor covered kitchen that had a sink, microwave, free library, and donation boxes with beverages, snacks and veggies. All around great place to stay. Everything was so clean and the staff was more than friendly. We will be going back for sure!

Lots and LOTS of trails surrounding the campground. Great for biking and trail running.

Nice family campground with good amenities

Pros: this was a seemingly nice family-oriented campground with lots of nice amenities - the restrooms were in decent shape, there was a dish-washing sink available, and they even do movies in the amphitheater.  The lake is also very nice as well. And even though there was an extreme lack of privacy, it was one of the quietest campgrounds I've ever been to, which surprised me a lot.

Cons: virtually no privacy between sites.

There are a handful of sites right on the beach by the lake.  If I could get one of those sites, or one a little more private than what we had, I would go again in a heartbeat.

Lots of privacy but that's the only positive

If you want the most private and quiet campground experience you can get without boondocking, this place is for you if you can deal with the negatives.  But in my opinion, it was too rustic and outdated for even me (and I've seen some bad campgrounds in my travels).

To start, when booking our site I was under the impression that it was on the water.. well it is, if you climb down a cliff with a sheer 30 foot drop.  So off the bat, I was already very disappointed because I was expecting we'd be able to launch kayaks directly from our site (there is a public boat launch in the state park, however).  Additionally, our site (and many others) are actually walk in sites with your own parking space - we had to carry our stuff about 30 yards into the site over tons of exposed roots, which for some people could be very dangerous; nowhere on the website does it say they are walk-in sites either.  Our site pad had almost no level areas at all, so our tent was at a slight angle, the bug house we put over the picnic table (totally necessary - see below) was all over the place, and even the included fire pit was on a steep incline, with barely any room for chairs unless you want to try and sit on a slope without falling.  We almost switched with a neighboring site that was more level but were glad we didn't - when it rained two days later, that entire site was flooded for half a day with about 2" of standing water! They really need to engineer the sites better by cutting down a few more trees to increase the size of the site and level them out better.  Also, because the place is so heavily wooded and damp, the bugs are INSANE.  If we didn't have a screen house to put over the table, I would have stayed in the tent the whole time because I was getting eaten alive.

The facilities were one of the worst parts of the stay, however.  I will preface this by saying I am used to using vault toilets, and generally do not have a problem using them for short periods of time.  But their toilets.. I don't even know how to describe them, as I think even calling them pit toilets is over selling them.  The toilets are located in what are essentially little wooden lean-tos, with no engineering whatever to cut down on the smell.  You could literally smell the out houses from about 30 yards away, and every time I would go to use one it was FILLED with flies.  I have never in my life had that experience using vault or primitive toilets.  They are clearly not cleaned very often either (although hard to tell because, surprise!, the toilets were black in color).  Additionally, They are open on the top and bottom, so you can hear EVERYTHING that goes on in them from pretty far away, and they don't even have hand sanitizer dispensers, which even porta potties have.  Their showers were marginally better - the stalls themselves were fairly clean, and they did have nice hot water.  They ask for 25 cents per shower which is totally fair considering there's no time limit.  But even something as simple as the shower curtains could use improvement - they had the cheapest of the cheap dollar store curtains that cling to everything and don't manage to do much to contain the shower spray.  Overall, their facilities need a huge improvement.

Also, this campground had a huge amount of downed dead wood throughout, which to me is very concerning.  If they had one lightening strike in the area, there could be a very dangerous wild fire that could put a lot of people in harm's way.  In my opinion, they should have a controlled burn in the off season, or let people take the downed wood for fires.

I will say that the amount of privacy between sites is probably the best I've ever experienced at a campground - we could barely see our neighbors.  This was probably the only positive to this campground, in my opinion.  Besides the rangers - they were very friendly and helpful.  Nearby Lubec was a fun town to explore, but the kayaking in the area was a little boring (the same views every place you look, at least when kayaking the coastal area near the state park).  There are tons of hiking trails, however.

I would not stay here again, and neither would my boyfriend.

Decent campground in a lovely area

Overall, this is a nice campground set in a slightly wooded area. It’s fairly close to the ocean, so you can hear waves crashing against the rocky cliffs if it’s quiet enough. The sites are decently spacious, and the campground is generally quiet. Privacy between sites is lacking here - there are some sites that have a little bit of privacy between neighboring sites, and some have none at all.

As for facilities– there are restrooms in the campground, but no shower houses. The shower house is located in a separate facility about a mile from the campground entrance. A bit inconvenient, but not terrible.. however, I will still never understand why a campground would go to the effort of plumbing in flush toilets and sinks, but not go the extra step and install showers, even cold outdoor ones. (Plus, the showers in the separate facility up the road are expensive.) Also, the restrooms in the campground are on ground level, and the two outer restroom stalls in each men's and women's room have windows in them that don't have privacy glass- someone walking by can see RIGHT in them. So unless you are fine with people potentially seeing you go to the bathroom, there are only 3 stalls available in each building, not 5. It's so weird, and a problem that Blackwoods has as well.

Final thoughts- I enjoyed my stay here, and would stay here again given the chance! But, the facilities could use improvement.

High end RV park with excellent amenities

11day trip to visit Maine ,Acadia National Park Campground nicely located close to park but away from much of the crowding

Great place

Sites are very large and spacious. You are not on top of the next one. Facilities are bright and clean. Every site has its own "fire box" with cooking grate. There is no "general store" but just outside the entrance to the campground is a gas station/general store which has everything from deli meats to hardware. The sites along Flaggstaff Lake have some spectacular views.