Alexandria, SOUTH DAKOTA
Most Recent Alexandria Camping Reviews
Great Place

Awesome place to stay. I was only there one night to break up my trip out west but I would definitely stop again. Davis is a little town and everyone there was so welcoming. I had dinner and a few beers in town at the local bar and then coffee and donuts the next morning in the general store. Sat and talked with the locals the entire time and couldn’t have felt more welcomed. Perfect place to meet some great people and make the stay very personal. Cinda and Popeye, the hosts, were just as nice and inviting. Good to know this many nice people are still out there! 10/10 recommend!!

Thought provoking conversation while camping with goats, chickens and dogs

The towns get smaller as I approach this farmhouse camping experience. The Compound is almost the last house in a town that might be the smallest I’ve stayed in. Rural life announces itself and life slows down.

The tower is the identifier. Homemade and designed, it stands above as a landmark. It also provides a roost for the solar panels and allows them to have water pressurized for off grid living. Vegetable and herb gardens are on one side. A creek gurgles by on the other. You are free to find a spot anywhere to set up. We choose the front corner and tucked ourselves in between a couple trees.

Baboo, their Great Pyrenees dog, is a loud but playful greeter. Goats wander throughout- natural lawn mowers. I was lucky enough to hold three day old babies- so precious! Another is giving birth at any moment.

The hosts are super interesting and we found conversation easy. You have to ask about their time with Work Away in Costa Rica. Their motorcycle adventure led to a year of labor and learning. Larissa excitedly talked about her entry into teaching life where we found common ground right away. She brought me to a fresh, wild asparagus plant and broke off a fresh shoot for me. She pointed down the road and said to help myself as we walked by. It’s in season and plentiful.

We were given plenty of space to do our own thing but eventually Landon invited me back to talk while he worked on the outhouse. Saying yes to this opportunity was a good decision. Our first stop was touring his self built tower and we lost ourselves in the engineering of its design. He has 30 psi of water pressure that uses only the sun to energize it. A geothermal system is also in the works. The roosters fought over hens and goats buzzed around the babies and we continued talking. I think we did more pondering and talking than actual woodwork but it was getting dark before we wrapped up. Definitely a highlight our our stay and probably our trip.

Camping is simple here. Their house is available to use as a restroom while they finish the outhouse. Water is in the hose. Everything is about conservation here so participation is requested. With no picnic table by where we set up, they have a fire pit and chairs by the creek and offered to light a fire for us. We chose conversation instead and it worked well. We had time to walk through farmland along a lazy road out of town. Picturesque South Dakota landscape greeted us.

This is definitely a place to stop at! You will enjoy a simple setup that is constantly improving with tremendous hosts who invite you into their lives for your stay.

Peaceful, well maintained campground

Campers were mostly in RVs, I was in a tent and not surrounded by many others. Bathrooms and showers were very clean and well maintained and the owner was nice and gave us tips on things to do in the rest of South Dakota!

Peaceful, well maintained campground

Nicest State Park Out There!

Definitely not roughing it but beautiful setting with possibly the best kept campsites and restrooms I've experienced on public ground! We stayed in the east Campground in one of the pull off sites. Handled our rooftop tent quite nicely. We stayed in June and the mosquitos were fierce. Overall great spot, worked well for us on our way through SD headed west.

Peaceful glamping

Made reservations to camp here since it was reasonably close to Sioux Falls and looked really interesting. So glad I did. My hosts couldn’t have been nicer. By the time I left I felt like I was part of the family. Because the ground was still pretty saturated they upgraded me for free to the glamper, so fun to stay in a vintage trailer. They are hoping to acquire a few more for the future. Super quiet at night, and Cinda gave me a fresh loaf of her bread and some awesome jam for breakfast. I would definitely stay here again.

nice place to spend the night

Spent a night in route to the Badlands and was happy enough with the experience.  I felt like the sites were a bit close together, but for a night that wasn't a huge concern.  Seems like during a busy weekend it could get loud and chaotic, but on a week night in the fall it was nice.

Enjoyed the water setting!  After driving a day of driving and checking out the Corn Palace, just 5 minutes away,  it was nice to be in nature again in a lovely location :)  Facilities were clean and the staff we encountered were friendly.

If you have a tent I encourage you to choose a tent only site since they are more secluded.

Just passing through...

We stopped to camp here for one night as we headed to the Badlands. We stayed in one of the four designated tent sites. You have to park and haul your gear to the site, but it is a short and easy walk. The 4 tent sites are near each other, yet feel secluded and private. Each site had a picnic table with built in sun shade and a fire ring. The park has a lake with a beach area - looked to have quite a bit of algae while we were there in early July. The area is very busy with boaters, and not a lot more than that to do. It was also a little pricey, as they charge extra fees upon arrival regardless of having paid online at time of making reservation. Overall, it was what we needed for a quick one night stop on an extended road trip, and we lucked out with a killer sunset.

Great overnight stop

People are super nice. Easy access. Plenty of room. Very clean. Well shaded but they parked us perfectly so we could get Direct signal. Pool was out of service & mini golf was old. But we needed a site to sleep. Stayed three nights and toured the area.

Nice spot on way to Black Hills

Stayed at Mitchell KOA in our way to the Black Hills. Large, level sites. Pool and mini golf. I didn’t see it, but my wife and granddaughter said the shower on the women’s side was FANTASTIC! Nice dog run. And the Corn Palace!

Stopped at Mitchell KOA again this year when we had car problems on I-90. Spent 3 days stuck at the campground. Lucky they have nice shady sites, lots of room and a friendly staff. Unfortunately, they no longer have the nice shower my wife liked!

Color me surprised;)

More then once as a Dyrt Ranger I have searched in vain for a campsite listed on a map. I was completely surprised when I found the Tyndall City Park AND it had places to camp!

When you first drive to the park it looks like your typical city park, nice fishing pond for the kids , cemented walking path, ballfields, disc golf, etc. But then down at the very end next to the ballfields are electric hookups and parking for RVs! Mind you this is no luxury campground, it’s the basics. On further exploration of the immediate area I came to the conclusion that this site is probably mostly used by visiting participants in 4H. There is a 4H complex across the street from the hookups.

The park is located off the local neighborhood and quiet. There is no shade at the RV sites. No picnic tables or fire rings on the cement lot where the electric boxes are located. This is definitely an event oriented “campground” or overnight/visiting relatives pit stop. There is an honor box and small latrine near the sites. No privacy if it’s busy but we were totally alone and saw few people when we visited.

The dogs enjoyed the walk around the fishing pond and it was a very relaxed atmosphere, at least to me. I did not attempt to start a fire, no one to ask if I could and no fire rings. There was a grass area by the camp sites with picnic tables and shade, you could easily put a tent/hammock in that area but I don’t know if it’s permitted.

Overall a useful area, in town, near shopping and fuel but not a vacation destination in my opinion.

Nice, clean campground

Stayed here on the last night of a 2 week road trip. Didn't get in until very late but there was still a few sites open that you could pay for one entering the campground. Bathrooms were nice and clean and the campsites were solidly spread out. Our campsite was literally right next to the lake!

nice friendly site

We did a one night stop and got a nice long pull through so no need to unhook the car and trailer. very dog friendly with a nice dog park area. surrounded by fields manager was very nice

Nice but pricey

South Dakota charges a day use fee ($6) plus a fee for tent camping ($17); I opted to pay for an Annual Pass of $30 since I plan on doing more SD camping this year. The park had East and West areas, the tent sites (4) are only in the West side. As typical, the more scenic lakeside camping is for RV's, with flushing toilets and showers, but the trade off for privacy and seclusion at the tent site was worth it. Picnic tables have built in sun covers which were really great and with winds I didn't experience any bugs or mosquitoes. There is no tree cover so I enjoyed the night sky. The staff is friendly and helpful. There was only one trail, Otto Stream (no stream, no otters), which is about 1.5m trail thru restored prairie.

Pretty but expensive, very crowded

Beautiful sites right on the lake about 30 minutes west of Sioux Falls. Very popular campground, especially on the weekends, so would highly recommend a reservation if you are planning on camping here. There are also cabins available. Stayed on the east loop at a site along the water, which was technically referred to as an electric site (meant for RV's). Had a hard time finding a flat place to put the tent. The sites are very close together. I was not thrilled with the cost of this campground. It was $21 for the site plus a $7 out of state fee, which I paid online. Upon arriving I was told I had to pay an additional entrance fee for the recreation area even though I was only camping, which cost an additional $6/per car ($12 total). All in all it cost me $40 to camp here, which was much more than I would ever want to pay for camping.

Love it

Spacious campsites right by the lake if desired. Plenty of things to do for kids with nice playground areas and hiking trails.

Fantastic campsites right by the lake. The sites themselves seem a little small and closer together than I would prefer but was a great experience!

Beautiful campground

We stopped here on our way through south Dakota headed back to Colorado. The staff were really friendly when we pulled in. Got us checked in right away, gave us directions to our site and sent us off. Thry also sell firewood for $5 a bundle. We are in tent site 4. There are only 4 strictly dedicated tent sites. you park across the street and walk a very short distance, maybe 200 feet to the site. The bathroom is in the parking lot along with a water source. The lake is on the other side of the parking lot. There is also a dumpster there in the parking lot.

The camp site is extremely spacious. plenty of room for tents if you have more then one. It's nice and mowed out with the bordering area still long providing an edge to the site. The four sites are clustered fairly close but the way it's landscaped, you won't see your neighbornuntil you step out to the path to your car. They all have fire rings with a grate to cook on. The picnic table has a nice shade canopy over top. The bathroom surprised me a little. most pit toilets are dark at night but this one has a light! it also has a trash can and hand sanitizer! it smells decent and it's very clean. it will quickly become BYTP but we are only here the one night so hopefully it won't run out. The lake is gorgous! it's a huge long lake and seems to be a favorite boat spot. water skis were abundant, which also meant it got pretty loud with boats buzzing, people partying and music blaring. this is why it lost a star. it was pretty loud up until probably 9 pm. The mosquitos are bad, bring bug spray!

Beautiful RV and tent camping around a gorgeous lake

Large spots maintained very well. RV spots have electric. Many spots have shade, some are near the lake, and some with lake views. They have small cabins for rent, as well as paddle boards, kayaks, and canoes. There is a lower park that’s great for families, with activities on the weekends , a large playground, and easy lake access. The other park is mainly spaces, with a large grassy area in the center. They spray regularly for bugs, which is extremely important to me! The area has many geocaches as well!

Family Friendly Stop Over

We stayed at the Mitchell KOA one night as a stop over on our way to Custer, SD. The feature we liked best is that all RV, 5th Wheel/Camper sites are set up as pull through. We called while on the road to see if they had any open spots, and they got us in for the night:) The campground hosts were very welcoming and friendly. There is an outdoor pool, but it was pretty crowded (With temps in the 90's who could blame anyone!!!) and they have a cute little miniature golf course too!! This is a pet friendly place with a large fenced in area for your pets to play in. The only drawback we saw was the lack of trees for shade and privacy. You can literally shake hands with your next door neighbor while sitting at your picnic table.