Alexandria, SOUTH DAKOTA

Most Recent Alexandria Camping Reviews
Great small town campground.

This Campground has 3 pull through RV sites with 50 amp, 30 amp and 4 110 electric hook-ups. It has 6 back into sites and they also have a full compliment of electric hook-ups. There is no water available in the winter months, but, two hydrants for potable water in the summer months.

This campground has 2 cabins available.

No fires allowed, no sewer, no on site water hook-ups. They have picnic tables available for each site and fixed picnic shelters in the back into sites.

There is a wonderful gravel walking path that goes around two man made lakes in the park. There are bridges that allow access to the peninsula that cuts the two lakes in half. They have a fishing dock.

There is a large bird feeder station and benches so you can watch the different varieties of birds eat.

You can drive around the complete site on a well maintained gravel road.

There is a large children's playground.

There is a sewer dump station.

Nice community campground.

I believe there are 11 sites. 2 sites have 50 amp, 30 amp and 110 electrics. The rest of the sites have 30 amp and 110 electrics. 8 of these 11 sites have butt-up campsites, that is to say eight campers can fit into four sites, each with there own electric hook-ups. No water hook-ups, no sewer hook-ups. 2 different picnic shelters with tables, no picnic tables at the campsites. Tennis courts and a children's playground located near at hand. Toilets open during summer months only. This is a friendly community with many stores downtown.

Parking lot with electrics.

I always find it difficult reviewing this type of camping area. It is a parking lot with 3 sites that have 50amp, 30 amp and 2 110 electrical hook-ups. There is no water, no sewer and the bathrooms are closed during the winter. It has adjacent to it horseshoe pits, picnic shelter with tables and a large children's playground and 2 sand volleyball lots. No fires are allowed. This campground is located in city limits.

Quaint campground located in town.

This campground has 6 sites. One is a RV pull through and five are back into sites. They all have water and sewer hook-ups with 50 amp, 30 amp and 110 electrical posts. There is a toilet house that is closed during the winter. Garbage dumpster. Tennis courts, swimming pool, picnic shelter and large children's playgrounds bordering the campgrounds. There are no fire pits or rings because this is located in town and fires are not allowed.

This is a small cozy campground.

On the east side of the Campgrounds are 5 paved pads. Electric hook ups include 50 amp, 30 amp and 2 110 plug ins. On the west side of Campgrounds there are 6 sites all grassy rock pads. The west side offers 30 amp and 110 plug ins. Picnic tables located at each site plus three shelters with electrics and picnic tables. One unisex pit toilet located on the west side. There is a pit toilet in the middle which looks like a stone shell, honestly, it would work in an emergency…lol…it's simply barbaric and there is nothing comfortable connected with it. They have a metal dock you can fish off of that is ADA accessible. There is also a boat ramp and dock located towards the north west end of campgrounds. There is a small play ground for children. Lake surrounds one side and private property around the rest of the grounds, this makes hiking and the such out of the question. We did not see any dump station, there are no water hook-ups except for the fish cleaning station and I don't know if that source is potable. Each side of grounds have red boxes you can drop your payment into. The campgrounds charge $10.00 a night to stay there for a maximum of 7 nights. It is located 2 miles off highway US 18 and 3 or 4 miles from town.

Still closed Nov. 06, 2019

Flooding of the James River has shut down this campground, as of November 06, 2019 it is still closed. It is unknown when the city will get it re-opened. I will do my best to keep this post updated.

An overnight stop off.

This is really just a parking lot with electrical hook ups. Few trees for shade. Ok for an overnight stop on your way to anywhere else. Community is pleasant.

Great little spot

This was a perfect spot about 10 miles south of I-90. There are only two back in rv sites about 35’ long, they each have 30amp. There’s a water spout but it’s a little far from the spots…a 50’ hose might work to fill up. A diner is within walking distance, it’s super quaint with delicious ice cream and fries! This is a great location for an overnight spot.

Best Sunset on the Prairie

I’ll admit - I chose this campground because I am a HUGE Laura Ingalls Wilder nerd and it is on one of the lakes where she and Almanzo took their Sunday drives and just a few miles from the LIW Memorial Society in DeSmet. Apart from all that, this is a gem of a campground. We were fortunate to get a site right on Lake Thompson. There are clean and modern restrooms available with free showers. A hiking/biking trail goes along the lake, through the campground and to the swimming beach. Friendly staff - great facilities.

Family friendly

Great campground with a lot to do. Nice beach and walking trails and outdoor excessive area. Nice fishing dock.

Great Place

Awesome place to stay. I was only there one night to break up my trip out west but I would definitely stop again. Davis is a little town and everyone there was so welcoming. I had dinner and a few beers in town at the local bar and then coffee and donuts the next morning in the general store. Sat and talked with the locals the entire time and couldn’t have felt more welcomed. Perfect place to meet some great people and make the stay very personal. Cinda and Popeye, the hosts, were just as nice and inviting. Good to know this many nice people are still out there! 10/10 recommend!!

Peaceful, well maintained campground

Campers were mostly in RVs, I was in a tent and not surrounded by many others. Bathrooms and showers were very clean and well maintained and the owner was nice and gave us tips on things to do in the rest of South Dakota!

Peaceful, well maintained campground

Nicest State Park Out There!

Definitely not roughing it but beautiful setting with possibly the best kept campsites and restrooms I've experienced on public ground! We stayed in the east Campground in one of the pull off sites. Handled our rooftop tent quite nicely. We stayed in June and the mosquitos were fierce. Overall great spot, worked well for us on our way through SD headed west.

Peaceful glamping

Made reservations to camp here since it was reasonably close to Sioux Falls and looked really interesting. So glad I did. My hosts couldn’t have been nicer. By the time I left I felt like I was part of the family. Because the ground was still pretty saturated they upgraded me for free to the glamper, so fun to stay in a vintage trailer. They are hoping to acquire a few more for the future. Super quiet at night, and Cinda gave me a fresh loaf of her bread and some awesome jam for breakfast. I would definitely stay here again.

nice place to spend the night

Spent a night in route to the Badlands and was happy enough with the experience.  I felt like the sites were a bit close together, but for a night that wasn't a huge concern.  Seems like during a busy weekend it could get loud and chaotic, but on a week night in the fall it was nice.

Enjoyed the water setting!  After driving a day of driving and checking out the Corn Palace, just 5 minutes away,  it was nice to be in nature again in a lovely location :)  Facilities were clean and the staff we encountered were friendly.

If you have a tent I encourage you to choose a tent only site since they are more secluded.

Just passing through...

We stopped to camp here for one night as we headed to the Badlands. We stayed in one of the four designated tent sites. You have to park and haul your gear to the site, but it is a short and easy walk. The 4 tent sites are near each other, yet feel secluded and private. Each site had a picnic table with built in sun shade and a fire ring. The park has a lake with a beach area - looked to have quite a bit of algae while we were there in early July. The area is very busy with boaters, and not a lot more than that to do. It was also a little pricey, as they charge extra fees upon arrival regardless of having paid online at time of making reservation. Overall, it was what we needed for a quick one night stop on an extended road trip, and we lucked out with a killer sunset.

Great overnight stop

People are super nice. Easy access. Plenty of room. Very clean. Well shaded but they parked us perfectly so we could get Direct signal. Pool was out of service & mini golf was old. But we needed a site to sleep. Stayed three nights and toured the area.

Nice spot on way to Black Hills

Stayed at Mitchell KOA in our way to the Black Hills. Large, level sites. Pool and mini golf. I didn’t see it, but my wife and granddaughter said the shower on the women’s side was FANTASTIC! Nice dog run. And the Corn Palace!

Stopped at Mitchell KOA again this year when we had car problems on I-90. Spent 3 days stuck at the campground. Lucky they have nice shady sites, lots of room and a friendly staff. Unfortunately, they no longer have the nice shower my wife liked!

Color me surprised;)

More then once as a Dyrt Ranger I have searched in vain for a campsite listed on a map. I was completely surprised when I found the Tyndall City Park AND it had places to camp!

When you first drive to the park it looks like your typical city park, nice fishing pond for the kids , cemented walking path, ballfields, disc golf, etc. But then down at the very end next to the ballfields are electric hookups and parking for RVs! Mind you this is no luxury campground, it’s the basics. On further exploration of the immediate area I came to the conclusion that this site is probably mostly used by visiting participants in 4H. There is a 4H complex across the street from the hookups.

The park is located off the local neighborhood and quiet. There is no shade at the RV sites. No picnic tables or fire rings on the cement lot where the electric boxes are located. This is definitely an event oriented “campground” or overnight/visiting relatives pit stop. There is an honor box and small latrine near the sites. No privacy if it’s busy but we were totally alone and saw few people when we visited.

The dogs enjoyed the walk around the fishing pond and it was a very relaxed atmosphere, at least to me. I did not attempt to start a fire, no one to ask if I could and no fire rings. There was a grass area by the camp sites with picnic tables and shade, you could easily put a tent/hammock in that area but I don’t know if it’s permitted.

Overall a useful area, in town, near shopping and fuel but not a vacation destination in my opinion.

Nice, clean campground

Stayed here on the last night of a 2 week road trip. Didn't get in until very late but there was still a few sites open that you could pay for one entering the campground. Bathrooms were nice and clean and the campsites were solidly spread out. Our campsite was literally right next to the lake!

nice friendly site

We did a one night stop and got a nice long pull through so no need to unhook the car and trailer. very dog friendly with a nice dog park area. surrounded by fields manager was very nice

Nice but pricey

South Dakota charges a day use fee ($6) plus a fee for tent camping ($17); I opted to pay for an Annual Pass of $30 since I plan on doing more SD camping this year. The park had East and West areas, the tent sites (4) are only in the West side. As typical, the more scenic lakeside camping is for RV's, with flushing toilets and showers, but the trade off for privacy and seclusion at the tent site was worth it. Picnic tables have built in sun covers which were really great and with winds I didn't experience any bugs or mosquitoes. There is no tree cover so I enjoyed the night sky. The staff is friendly and helpful. There was only one trail, Otto Stream (no stream, no otters), which is about 1.5m trail thru restored prairie.

Pretty but expensive, very crowded

Beautiful sites right on the lake about 30 minutes west of Sioux Falls. Very popular campground, especially on the weekends, so would highly recommend a reservation if you are planning on camping here. There are also cabins available. Stayed on the east loop at a site along the water, which was technically referred to as an electric site (meant for RV's). Had a hard time finding a flat place to put the tent. The sites are very close together. I was not thrilled with the cost of this campground. It was $21 for the site plus a $7 out of state fee, which I paid online. Upon arriving I was told I had to pay an additional entrance fee for the recreation area even though I was only camping, which cost an additional $6/per car ($12 total). All in all it cost me $40 to camp here, which was much more than I would ever want to pay for camping.

Love it

Spacious campsites right by the lake if desired. Plenty of things to do for kids with nice playground areas and hiking trails.

Fantastic campsites right by the lake. The sites themselves seem a little small and closer together than I would prefer but was a great experience!

Beautiful campground

We stopped here on our way through south Dakota headed back to Colorado. The staff were really friendly when we pulled in. Got us checked in right away, gave us directions to our site and sent us off. Thry also sell firewood for $5 a bundle. We are in tent site 4. There are only 4 strictly dedicated tent sites. you park across the street and walk a very short distance, maybe 200 feet to the site. The bathroom is in the parking lot along with a water source. The lake is on the other side of the parking lot. There is also a dumpster there in the parking lot.

The camp site is extremely spacious. plenty of room for tents if you have more then one. It's nice and mowed out with the bordering area still long providing an edge to the site. The four sites are clustered fairly close but the way it's landscaped, you won't see your neighbornuntil you step out to the path to your car. They all have fire rings with a grate to cook on. The picnic table has a nice shade canopy over top. The bathroom surprised me a little. most pit toilets are dark at night but this one has a light! it also has a trash can and hand sanitizer! it smells decent and it's very clean. it will quickly become BYTP but we are only here the one night so hopefully it won't run out. The lake is gorgous! it's a huge long lake and seems to be a favorite boat spot. water skis were abundant, which also meant it got pretty loud with boats buzzing, people partying and music blaring. this is why it lost a star. it was pretty loud up until probably 9 pm. The mosquitos are bad, bring bug spray!

Beautiful RV and tent camping around a gorgeous lake

Large spots maintained very well. RV spots have electric. Many spots have shade, some are near the lake, and some with lake views. They have small cabins for rent, as well as paddle boards, kayaks, and canoes. There is a lower park that’s great for families, with activities on the weekends , a large playground, and easy lake access. The other park is mainly spaces, with a large grassy area in the center. They spray regularly for bugs, which is extremely important to me! The area has many geocaches as well!

Family Friendly Stop Over

We stayed at the Mitchell KOA one night as a stop over on our way to Custer, SD. The feature we liked best is that all RV, 5th Wheel/Camper sites are set up as pull through. We called while on the road to see if they had any open spots, and they got us in for the night:) The campground hosts were very welcoming and friendly. There is an outdoor pool, but it was pretty crowded (With temps in the 90's who could blame anyone!!!) and they have a cute little miniature golf course too!! This is a pet friendly place with a large fenced in area for your pets to play in. The only drawback we saw was the lack of trees for shade and privacy. You can literally shake hands with your next door neighbor while sitting at your picnic table.