The best GROUP camping near
West Columbia , SOUTH CAROLINA

This Black Friday Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent West Columbia Camping Reviews
Dangerous Camp Site

We’re new campers. We’ve only visited state parks so far. This was our first KOA stay. This place was clean and the owners are constantly working and really nice. They showed us to our campsite and brought firewood to our site when we bought it in the store. They had a cute little general store and a play set for the littles. There is a pool for warmer weather. I only gave this campground two stars because of the location of our site. I camp with my two small children and the location of this site was simply unacceptable. Even if I was alone with my husband, I would have been terrified of this site. It was SO CLOSE to a main highway that I could reach out the back window and touch it with a broom! There were no trees or anything between our site and the road. There was no guard rail. If a car ran off the road, it would hit our camper. I didn’t sleep the whole time and wanted to leave early. Interior sites were okay. We won’t go back.

Decent campground

Busy park, but if you're visiting the Columbia area a fine place to stop. They have a dog park and our pup loved getting to run off leash. Campsites are pretty close together and some are a little on top of each other but we were in spot 79. It was a pull through and the living space was separated a bit more. It was across from the bathhouse which is quite convenient.

Great stop if you’re looking for amenities

Stayed for one night, the tent sights were flooded so they put us in an RV spot. The fire pit was clean and ready for use. The bathrooms were spotless, you could eat in there if you’re into that sort of thing. Over all nice places

Good Enough!

The campground sits beside a very large lake and many of the campers had boats in tow. We stayed at site #53….not a great site by comparison, but did have water and electrical hook ups. Backed to wooded area.

Facilities were fine.

From this state park you can drive to Congaree National Park. This park was just ok. The boardwalk trail winds through the wetlands along with a few other trails. One half day was plenty.

A great stay near Congaree!

We stayed here for our visit to Congaree (about 45 min away). The road getting in is a little rough and it’s surprisingly far into the park, and I would highly recommend getting there in daylight hours, but it was still pretty easy to find our spot and set up quickly. The sites are covered in moss-dripping trees and the park is really beautiful. The bathrooms were clean and well kept and our camp hosts David and Beth were so kind and helpful. Remember your firewood! It’s a bit hard to get a hold of the Rangers to purchase any. We loved our stay!

Terrible experience TW- lewd behavior

Hopefully one off!!!

We were lounging about, reading in my car, when a truck with two male NPS staff pulled in right next to us. One staff proceeded to give the other staff a blowjob. Hopefully not realizing we were there. As two solo women we were nervous about the lewd behavior and just left.

Friendly, clean, gravel and grass, basic campground

Easy access off of highway.  Great for an overnight stay.  Our site was not a good one for more than one night due to very muddy.  Other sites have nicer gravel area to set up under your awning if desired.  Ours did not.  Our travel trailer is 38' so unfortunately, we had to unhitch our truck.  Since we are just staying one night, we wanted to stay hitched up, especially since it's been raining since last night, with continued rain forecast for another day.  On the positive side, it's a nice little campground with very friendly and helpful staff.  The bath house has two showers and four toilets, all very clean.  The clean and well lit laundry room has three washers and dryers, which I appreciated very much.  The office has a little store attached with a variety of items.  They have a nice pavilion where they had live music last night, which was very nice. The campground is about 7 miles east from a Pilot Travel Center to fuel up using your EFS card.

Great staff, cozy park

Arrived here for two nights in the tent after Myrtle Beach. Site 46 is not terribly even, but it's well situated inside the loop. The park is clean, the tent pad is a good size, and the amazing aroma of pine is one of the natural highlights. Unfortunate that the camp store closes at 5 pm. So one must drive to Publix for firewood. The closest Walmart has $2 ice bags.

It’s ok

Just left Aiken State Park in SC. We will not be returning because it didn’t meet our requirements, but it is not a bad park if it’s what you’re looking for, so here’s the pros and cons:

Pros - super affordable, nice location, very peaceful/quiet, nature trails, kayak rentals available, clean, nice staff

Cons - sand/uneven pads, very tight to drive through and get parked, the dump station is inconvenient to get out of when leaving the campground, absolutely no cell service at campsite (we have Verizon, att, and tmobile)

One other big negative for us, which I hope no one else has to encounter is there was a seemingly, stray dog running around. Super sweet and timid around people, but we have our dog with us (boxer) and the stray attacked our dog. Just warning if you’re there or going soon.

Something for everyone!

Dreher Island was a great camping location! We stayed at tent sites 1&2 which was kind of like having our own private compound. If coming back again I would book tent sites 1-3 to claim the whole area! Other parts of the campgrounds seemed to be on top of each other and more sloped to access water. Access to the lake was a breeze from the site; easy to walk in the water and to get the kayaks in and out. Fishing was convenient from the shore. Bike riding was also great here although time did not allow for much of that this trip.

If interested in renting kayaks or paddle boards, I highly recommend Paddle South Outfitters. Travis was awesome and delivered kayaks right to the site and picked up too! Super nice guy!

Bathrooms were very clean and not a far walk from the campsite. Would stay beyond 2 nights next trip to explore more.