Sylva , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Sylva Camping Reviews
Very mellow campground for the Smokies

This will be the second time staying at whispering River resorts.  The management is very friendly.  The help is also very friendly.  We will be back next year.

Beautiful for Fall camping

We did a spontaneous trip to the mountains and we found this nice camp site along the North Fork French Broad River and we camped right along the river. It felt like we were camping deep in the woods and the Fall leaves were still clinging to the trees and made it absolutely beautiful. We fished right next to our camp site and then relaxed with a camp fire listening to the sound of the River.

HWY 215 runs along the camp site but since it was the weekend there was very little traffic. Hosts were very friendly, bath house was clean, and had chickens running around the camp site. Only reason I gave the camp site a four star is because there is clutter around a old cabin and old camper, has a broken down sink and if cleaned up would look much better.

Camp site is close to the Blue Ridge Parkway and other areas of interest.

Meticulously maintained

Mama Gertie's is the most well kept campground I've ever been in.  The bathhouses look like something inside of an upscale hotel room.  There are mountaintop sides with big patios that hang over the mountain top and have incredible views.  It is one of our favorite places in the country.

Downside, amenities are limited.  No pool, no playground, etc.

Beautiful place

We were able to reserve site 40 and it was the most beautiful site avaliable at the campground. There is a trail to the lake, where you can access water and it made us feel like we were in our private small beach. There were staff cleaning restrooms regularly, showers had great pressure! You can rent kayaks or paddle boards at the campground. We loved the experience and will definitely be back.

A wonderful getaway

I was thrilled to find a campsite available with an amazing view. While our site was very small, it was perfect for me and two teenage kids. They loved being next to the creek and watching the water move. We already have our next visit booked! It probably won't be our last time, either!

Better Options in the Area

I felt nickeled and dimed by this campground. I camp in Townsend often and I'm not typically charged for; a firepit, wood, wifi, and additional parking. Plus the wood they brought was wet and wouldn't burn. The spots were the smallest I've been too, we were absolutely crammed in there.

3/4 of the campground consisted of permanent residents and it didn't have an overall feel of a campground, but more of a mobile home park.

Love it

Spacious and on the river. Close to the biking trails and Cades cove. Spots are clean, fire pits are great, well maintained pavers patio and nicely landscaped

It was ok

It was ok - lots of permanent campers. Extra to have a fire pit, extra for wifi, extra to park additional car. the creek was nice. Bought wood from them but it was too wet to burn. Sites were tight.

Fall Getaway

My wife and I went for our 5th anniversary. The campground is great and within a mile or 2 of a lot of trail heads in the Smokies. It was beautiful in October, but if you go in peak season I would recommend staying in the national park due to the insane amounts of traffic getting into Gatlinburg.

Awesome weekend getaway

The staff is extremely accommodating and very helpful. The bathrooms/showers were clean and the campground was well laid out. Awesome time to be in the smokies even if it is close to home for us.