The best GROUP camping near
Peppers , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Peppers Camping Reviews
Reality doesn’t match website

We were so excited to spend a week here based on the website. Not sure when those photos were take but the place is seriously run down. I have never seen potholes so big! The sites at “The Overlook” have a good view but there is zero grass and anything outside of where you park is red mud. I hope they spend some money to restore the campground to beauty.

Terrible cancellation policy.

We reserved for 5 nights and they took the entire sum upfront, $237. They offered us NO refund and NO opportunity to change our reservation to a later date. No exceptions. This is especially terrible during a global pandemic when even airlines are more lenient and understanding of change in plans.

Beautiful setting, gross bathhouse

Beautiful spot next to the river. The downside was the bathrooms/showers were really gross. Otherwise it was a good campground.

Awesome for dogs and people!

We camped here back in August and had a blast! We brought our two dogs and they also had a great time. This site is very dog friendly (obviously), with many sites having their own fenced in yards. We opted for a site without a fence, which we regretted once we got there. The gravel at our site was painful for our dog’s feet and they had a hard time walking on it. The dog parks made up for this! There are multiple large dog parks located at the campground. The restrooms were awesome, but are single person use only. We felt like we were the only ones using them (that’s how well maintained they were). Campsites are close together but we didn’t mind. The staff was great, they helped us find our site and even helped us back our camper in. There was power and water hookup at each site. There is tons of stuff to do around the area too. Chimney Rock and Lake Lure are right around the corner and SO FUN.

Stunning Campground

We didn’t know what to expect when we reserved our campsite at Mama Gertie’s but we were blown away! We stayed in the upper campground which required a drive up a steep road from the lower to upper sites - but it was absolutely worth the trip. Stunning views of the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains plus great facilities. There is a bathhouse and laundry facility in the center of the upper campground plus full hookups at each site. There are a number of pull through sites that also get their own porch and porch swing right on the edge of the mountain. We had a back-in site with great views of the mountains. Still our overall favorite campground - and the city of Asheville is a blast too.

Made for large groups not intimate getaways

Be prepared for an encyclopedia of reading all the rules. I found the yurts and cabins to be way too close together for any type of privacy. Maybe they have it set up that way for big groups to come in at once? But it was so noisy with kids and dogs echoing in the valley, and we could even hear the neighboring cabins talking while sitting around their campfire. I suppose if I was there with a group of close friends it would be okay but it seems with all the land they have that they could have given each person more privacy in their spaces. One more thing that may help is we hiked all of the trails and noticed in several places there were 3-4 inch protrusions where small trees where cut down but not cut all the way back to the ground and I almost sprained my ankle. They all did spray paint some of the roots and had the trails nice and cleared but the exposed ends of the small trees throughout the trail are a real hazard. I’m super fit and have good eyesight and hike a lot so I was able to dodge many of them but I’m sure the kids and the older adults may get hurt. Other than the close proximity of the cabins/yurts/RVs and the exposed tree stubs I think they have a great concept (for large group events) and we enjoyed our stay. One more thing the shower handle falls off in the small yurt.

one of the best

great location with great hiking trails and place to kayak

Clean

We were only here for one night in the rain but it was quiet and the bath hall was spotless! Conveniently located close to highway 81 and town!

Closed for the season

Closed for the season as of January 6, 2021.

Tucked away fun family campsite

Great campground! The prices are reasonable, the campground was very clean, the people were friendly, and the bathhouses were some of the cleanest I’ve seen. It was also very close to Mount Mitchell so we could go on long hikes. Loved our time there!