About Roan Mountain State Park

Roan Mountain State Park is situated in the Appalachian Mountains of Northeast Tennessee. This heavily wooded area is known for its rhododendrons and hiking trails. Roan Mountain Campground is open to RVs and tent campers. This state park provides both full hookup campsites and primitive camping.

Roan Mountain State Park is located in Tennessee
22 Reviews of Roan Mountain State Park
Perfect fit for our camping style.

We camped in the upper section.  Our site #44, was huge.  The spaces between the sites made it feel very private. The entire park provided lots of roadways and trails that our pups enjoyed.  The camp staff were friendly and helpful.  I would rate this as one of the best campgrounds we have stayed at.

Scottish-esque hills

One of my top 5 state campgrounds. Will definitely be back again soon. Wild panoramic views and access to the Appalachian trail only a few miles away

TN state Park Campground

This is one of my favorite campgrounds.  Family and friends try to go several times a year.  Due to its popularity, make sure you make reservations n advance.

Paved roads and sites. Both 30 and 50 amp service along with water.  There is a dump station as you exit the camping area.

Park is well maintained, bathhouses are clean with LOTS of hot water.  Water pressure is not as good as it used to be.  WIFI can be spotty to weak.

Very clean and nice

The park is very nice , very clean. There are shower facilities there . We hiked there, the mountain were cold even in  July. Beautiful place !

Quiet and clean

One the best run parks in the state. Forget TV and phone service is spotty but who cares, the park is great. Hike, fish or just relax

Our home away from home

Awesome campground with electric water & the occasional WiFi. They have a dump station. Great park tons of trails, they also have a seasonal swimming pool.

Beautiful and peaceful

Probably the most beautiful and peaceful state park in the country! Plenty of things to do to keep you busy here. Ampetheatre, tennis court, pool, Rhododendron Gardens, Carver's Gap, Little Doe River, Miller Farmstead, & visitor center museum; all worth checking out. Only a few things you need to look out for. Some of the spaces are short and roads are narrow. Be picky choosing a site. Also some of the sites are grossly off level. You may need 2 sets of leveling blocks! When it rains you get alot of runoff from the steep banks. We woke up and everything we had outside was covered in mud. Also you may want to make sure you have everything before you leave. With all this peacefulness comes not a big selection of stores and restaurants. Roan Mnt. has a few small markets, mom & pop restaurants, Dollar General. Elizabethton is about 20 minutes out if you need any fast food, Food City, or Walmart. I know I had some setbacks here, but I will definitely be coming back. Multiple times. Just take plenty of time to do research on this one.

Excellent SP

I'd have given RM a 5 star review except for the RV sites are small and so close together. We have a small camper, 15" including the tongue and I felt the site too small. The tent sites are lovely., large and more private. Next time we''ll see if we can get a tent site since our camper is so small. No hook ups on the tent sites, but hey we're camping. The staff was friendly and extremely accommodating. We had some severe weather during our visit. 45mph, horizontal rain and a power outage. The staff was right out after the storm to clean up and help out. Our traveling companions were in a tent and their site was in standing water. The staff hauled in gravel and made an elevated pad as well as helping to move the tent. Great service! The area is spectacular and has something for everyone.

Beautiful State Park

Friends and I rented a cabin here the 3rd time. It is simply beautiful. The mountains, creeks and nature are breathtaking. There are a lot of hiking trails near by. From easy to moderate… so something for everybody. The cabins are very nice and clean. They have everything you need. I would definitely recommend to stay here and enjoy this gem of nature.

Hiking on the AT

We hiked on the Appalachian Trail. We did not have to hike far to see amazing 360 views! Not very crowded. This was one of my favorite places to camp.