The best BOAT IN camping near
Lake Lure , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Lake Lure Camping Reviews
Centrally Located in Asheville, but be sure to stay on the River Side

It’s a very central to downtown Asheville and provided you’re river front it’s a nice campground. Unfortunately all of the sites that aren’t river front back up directly to the interstate — a little noisy to say the lease. Everyone was friendly, and we spent most of our time touring the city.

Great Campground

We stayed at the Carolina Hemlocks campground while taking a road trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Very private campground that borders the South Toe River. Nice tubing put in and a great swimming spot directly in the campground. The bathrooms and shower was well taken care. Very friendly camp hosts. We stayed in site 31, which was a nice wooded private spot in the back of the campground.

Great Location

We stayed for two nights, a little away from the main camp area but was kinda glad for it. Had a great spot tucked into the woods near the water. Great path to skip rocks and just enjoy. Fire pit was a little weird but made it work. We were close to the road which was kind of a bummer but as I mentioned, not in the main area so probably can’t fault it for that.

When driving through the main area though, spaces were pretty tight, very full, and not all seemed friendly for a camper/RV though there were some. It was truly beautiful though, gas station on the way in and downtown Burnsville/grocery store wasn’t too far away.

Amazing

Friendly staff, nice view, little small places for big rigs, but I would recommend

Pretty & Pleasant

We stayed in Long Arm paddle-in area 2. Park staff was not very helpful at all when we first arrived, but despite the attitude and the terrible rainy weather, we found our site fairly easily. As other reviews here and elsewhere mention, the tent pads don’t drain well and huge puddles develop- some sites were completely overtaken by a full inch of water. Thankfully the rain stopped on our first night, but it could definitely ruin a trip. The privy was nice to have, but I could smell it at every campsite and that definitely bothered me. Overall a decent weekend, but my suspicions that I am just not a Lake Person were confirmed.

Pretty and convenient.

20 minutes from downtown Asheville, we got to enjoy the city a little bit while also camping. Campground and staff were great but campsites are extremely close together (we stayed at hard times loop), some of the RV sites at Big John Loop seem to have a bit more privacy, however those are completely paved and not suitable for tents. We have Verizon and usually get service everywhere even spotty locations but our phones hardly worked there and definitely no internet. We got lucky (due to the cold I think), the site next to us was empty until our last day. The showers kinda suck, it’s a few seconds of timed release, if you’re trying to get clean and wash your hair having to keep pushing a button every 30 seconds that the water goes out is pretty annoying, specially when it’s so cold. And the lack of pressure and position of the shower makes you have to almost lean on the wall.

Great trip

This was a great weekend trip. Camp sites were large and had enough privacy! Very clean bathrooms and showers! Would highly recommend.

First solo trip - perfect spot!

I decided to stay at Lake Powhatan for my first solo camping trip and campsite 063 was the perfect location. I was right next to the campsite host and the bathrooms, so I felt safe the whole time. I went during the week, so despite being next to the bathrooms, it was very quiet. The only downside to this site was the picnic table was directly on top of the trees, so my hammock was almost directly on top of the table. But other than that, I have no complaints.

The bathrooms were very nice. Staff came around and cleaned the bathrooms and showers every morning. And the fact that they were both individual, private rooms were very convenient, as I had my service dog with me, so I was able to bring a towel to put on the ground while I showered and I didn’t have to worry about anyone else in the bathroom trying to pet him.

All of the staff was super friendly, but it was a minor inconvenience that the campground store was closed due to COVID, so if you needed ice or firewood, you had to drive up to the gas station that was a few miles out.

I would definitely go back again though!

We have been pretty happy with our stay

Great little spot for a family get away. We came in late after leaving another place down the road that was just awful. They waited until we arrived even though it was after the office closed.

They have a lot of little activities during the day and even for the family. We would stay here again, I just wish it was a little cheaper ($57 a night full hook ups)and it would be nice if cell phone service was better as there is pretty much one bar everywhere you go in the camp ground for Verizon.

Awesome location

Camped here for one night. Busy campground but still pretty private. Amenities were a plus if you’re looking to shower. Only bummer was that dogs aren’t allowed to swim in the lake..Not a bad drive from campground to downtown Asheville!