Pets Unknown
About Curtis Creek Campground

RV and tent camping, campground host on site.

Price
$10.00
USDA Forest Service
Hike In
Curtis Creek Campground is located in North Carolina
-82.1967 W
Directions
From I-40, take Exit 73 towards Old Fort. Take Catawba Ave. north 0.5 miles to US-70E/E Main St. Turn right on US-70E and go 1.8 miles to Curtis Creek Rd. (Curtis Creek Campground sign). Turn left on Curtis Creek Rd. and drive 4 miles to campground.
7 Reviews of Curtis Creek Campground
Two different experiences

The first time we stayed at Curtis Creek Campground, we had a great overall experience. We have a Jeep with a rooftop tent, and our friends have a pop-up camper. We shared site 11, and that was really the only site we would consider at this campground as the sites were close together and have no privacy between sites. We parked our jeep on the tent pad, and the pop-up between the jeep and site 10. That way, we had privacy as we were at the end of the loop where one side was wooded. The sites come with a nice fire pit and picnic table, there is water available and the pit toilets were immaculate on that visit. There is good access to Curtis Creek for fishing or hanging out, and the little bit of traffic on the adjacent road was not obtrusive. We liked it so much we returned a second weekend. We gave it a 5 star rating as a group for that site and our experience.

The camp hosts had changed between our first and second visits, and the second time it wasn't quite as pleasant. The amenities had not changed, but the cleanliness of the pit toilets had. They were not filthy, but were not being maintained as well as previously. There was a foul odor that would frequently come from the vents for the pit toilet, making it unpleasant to be at our campsite. I don't know if we were just down wind and it was at the end of its cycle and needing maintenance, but it changed our mind on coming back again as sewer odors just didn't mix with our camp dinners well. We gave it a 3 for that weekend.

It is a small campground, with good parking and RV sites. The road going in was rutted the first time, but had been graded by the time we went the second time - there were a couple of one lane bridges and a turn or two that might be tight for a large RV. Make sure you bring firewood, there is none sold at the site and we couldn't find any to purchase in Old Fort, we had to go to a larger town in order to find some. Overall, it is a good site but not quite our style if we weren't camping with friends as we would have felt like there was no privacy.

Good access to Mount Mitchell

Primitive

Nice place

We live near here and decided to give the dispersed camping area a try. We wanted to take our dogs camping to see how they would do and the dispersed camping area was perfect! These sItes are free on a first come, fIrst serve basis. Large, flat tent pad, and a big fire pit. Right next to the creek. Beautiful area. No bath house for the dispersed area, but I doubt the campground would deny you if you dropped by. The dispersed sites are more secluded. The paid camp sites appear to be very well kept. No cell service.

Peaceful and pleasant

The road to get to the campground made me nervous, but once there, I could have stayed for weeks! The creek is right beside the campsites, and easily accessed by steps. The host was very helpful and nice. Everything was clean and well-maintained. There is no cell signal for 15 or so minutes, either direction, so know your routes before leaving Old Fort. My children loved it!

great for families

We visited Curtis Creek in 2016 and we still remember it as one of our favorites. Our young kids (4 at the time) enjoyed playing in the boulder-strewn creek just off the main campsite. The main campsite was drive-in with plenty of shade, but the sites were all right next to each other with minimal privacy. Vault toilets in the center were clean and not smelly. The camp hosts provided information about near-by hikes and we were able to complete an out-and-back with the kids with minimal whining. We enjoyed a pond on the hike with lots of insects and crayfish. The campsite had drinking water but no firewood, so come prepared. There were wineberry thickets all over during our stay, yummy! The campsites in the open field had lots of room, but little shade and looked hot mid-day.