Standard (Tent/RV)
About Montreat Family Campground

The Montreat Family Campground is comprised of 28 tent/small pop-up campsites nestled among the hardwoods, laurels, and rhododendrons that run alongside Graybeard Stream. Sites are available seven days a week from May 3, 2019 to November 3, 2019. Each campsite has a picnic table, fire pit, and grill. Electrical or water hookups are not available; however, water spigots are close to each campsite and two bath houses provide campers with hot water, showers, toilets, and electrical outlets. Alcoholic beverages, tobacco, and firearms are prohibited in the Montreat Family Campground. Pets are allowed as long as they are kept quiet and leashed, and you must clean up after them. Questions about the Montreat Campground should be directed to the front desk of Assembly Inn at frontdesk@montreat.org or 828.419.9844. There is a two night minimum for ALL weekend reservations (Friday & Saturday nights). The cost per site per night is $25 and there is a two tent maximum per site. Download a campground map and information & guidelines before you register online.

Price
RVs and Trailers
Montreat Family Campground is located in North Carolina
7 Reviews of Montreat Family Campground
This place is incredible

We love Montreat and Black Mountain but we are broke college students so we camp. This beats any hotel ever. I think my dog love that just as much as I did

A quiet oasis

Montreat is a hidden gem. It is a small campground but any of the sites on the stream are worth it, spacious and private with the sound of rushing water. I stayed here twice and both times the hosts were so kind and attentive if needed but not intrusive at all. The bathrooms were clean and the showers were hot. I had WiFi which is helpful if I want to get away but still need to check in with work and both trips I ended up booking an extra night because I just did not want to leave! There is also great hiking close by, the first trip I brought my 12yr old dog and we did the Rainbow Road hike and then took a trip to meet friends on Lake Norman and spent our days wading in the cool stream by our site. The 2nd trip I did alone and decided to do a more strenuous hike up Lookout Mountain which had some continuous steep step ups and worth the mountain range view at the top. This is an alcohol free campsite so no loud groups, 100% recommend staying here.

Lucky #13

This place is a gem! Perfect for a quick getaway from Asheville. We chose campsite 13 and were so happy with it. You’ll feel like you have the forest to yourself, with tons of pretty plants all around you.

It’s down a short path (a bit tricky to navigate) and tucked away between the creek and small stream. Because of the short walk, maybe not great if you are bringing a lot of gear.

13 is also right next to a bathhouse, ranger station (firewood), and a playground (while still being tucked away down the path). It has a gravel tent pad, picnic table, grill, and fire pit.

Wonderful Family Campground

We stayed in campsite #8 and were overjoyed with our choice. The campsite was nestled within the forest and was right next to the cool water of Flat Creek. The campsite was spacious and there were plenty of trees available for hammocks. Campsites #10 and #4 were next to us and those too seemed like primo spots, especially campsite #4 due to even closer and easier access to Flat Creek. The sites are relatively private with only the sounds of the rushing creek water and cool mountain breezes to keep you company.

Killer sites - most alongside as creek - mere yards from a gorgeous College

We abandoned plans to stay at place in Old Fort (see listing for Catawba Falls) and ended up here as a last chance before having to hit a hotel to turn back around to CLT.  Boy, were we happy with our choice.  Nice bathhouse w/ heated showers, super nice semi-primitive sites, half of them alongside a creek, the others are mere steps away.  Lovely homes line the drive up and you are on land owned by Montreat College, a private Presbyterian-affiliated liberal arts college you hope your grandkids are smart enough to get into.  Stately buildings, a lake, hiking and walking paths galore.  Just the right amount of civilization - wood to purchase, flush toilets.  Spotty cell service - if you have T Mobile forget it, if you have Verizon you're golden.  I saw trailers in several spaces but it looks like a TIGHT squeeze in many sites.  Tent sites are plentiful and lovely.  Check in down the hill at the stately Assembly Inn hotel.  Like the campground and the surrounding area - the people are total class and you cannot get a better price and location this close to Asheville.

Best camping ever

The sites alone made you feel like you were backcountry camping. Secluded, with privacy. The bathhouses were nice, clean, easy access. We had an amazing time, the river was the perfect white noise to sleep to. I recommend site 15. It’s perfect, with a little tunnel to the bathroom and entrance.

Wilderness retreat at Montreat

This is a campground that is part of the retreat and conference facilities adjacent to Montreat College. It is located in a peaceful, idyllic hollow alongside Flat Creek, just north and east of Black Mountain, NC. This is truly a special place for a spiritual time-out, to “go to the hills, from whence cometh my strength” and to “be still and know that I am God.” The location is breathtakingly beautiful, you can hike the surrounding mountain and river trails for all the solitude you want, fly fish in local streams, participate in the colleges nature programs or wilderness adventure classes, attend lectures workshops or conferences at the college or conference center, or head into the nearby village of Black Mountain for local mountain music, heritage crafts and regional cuisine. This is really a peaceful magical place for family friendly camping or a solo pilgrimage of sorts.

Black Friday Gift: 6 months of FREE PRO camping features. Get Your Gift