Merriweather , MARYLAND

Most Recent Merriweather Camping Reviews
A great escape from the DC area.

We camped here in early April 2021. The first weekend open of the season. This is a smaller campground, only 34 sites, but it had all you needed. Only an hour from the DC area. Sites were generous, and equipped with a good fire pit, and space for parking two cars at our site (12). The parking/tent site was gravel. Picnic table was large and there were two places to hang a lantern. 12/13 were electric sites and water access for the area was right in front of 13. Our friends had a rather large trailer (30 ft) and it "just fit" on site 13. There was a walking path to the bathhouse between 13 and 14. Sites 8-11 were on a nice open field, with some smaller trees. There are lots of trails in the area, though we didn't explore too many on this trip. Bathhouse was simple, but effective with steamy, hot water! People were good about keeping their space in this COVID era (signs for masks for the bathroom, but I never was in there with anyone other than my own family). It was so very cold the first night we were there (25!). We took advantage of our electric site and used a small space heater to take the edge off of that night! Park attendants were the most attentive I have ever seen, making their rounds every 30 min or so. You can hear (when its quiet) the low hum of noise from a nearby road, but I didn't find it troubling. Overall this is a great, easy to sneak away to spot for those of us close to DC.

So good I did it twice

Being just barely off the beaten path, I wasn’t expecting all too much from the one night stay over planned heading from New Jersey to Shenandoah in Virginia. I was surprised at the quiet, understated beauty of the forestry around the perfectly level campsite. With on-site electric hookup, and amenities including dump, water fill, garbage and recycling easily accessed on the way in/out, all creature comforts were there for enjoying. Took a fairly easy hike down to the river and even went for a swim. Loved it so much, I stopped on the way back home again!

• Stayed Fall 2020
We had a great time

Good campground with a good amount of activities for the kids. Bathrooms didn’t have a lot of water pressure in the showers, but overall were cleaner then expected. We had a great time, and plan to visit here again.

Nice and dated

It was probably an amazing park 30 years ago. The creek was really nice. Sites were good size and ours had a patio. Had a fair amount of amenities for kids.

Mm 26.2 c&o

River view lots of room port pot, fire ring and grill. Picnic table water pump. Non pot water.

Good spot mid river

Lots of room under trees two picnic tables and fire pits. River view. Water pump and port John.

Scenic, accessible, and peaceful!

Site Details: We stayed on site#13 in the Rock Run camping area. The site was very level, nicely shaded, and positioned a short distance from the bath house. There was also a water spigot located right at the entrance of the site. However, the best feature in my opinion was the sort of “hidden” clearing in the woods right behind us, with a group of boulders for sitting. My kids loved playing down there. I don’t think there is a bad site in this camping loop, but I think we got the best electric site. It was a tad on the short side though, so I wouldn’t book if your rig is longer than 25’.

Facilities/Overall Park: This is a very peaceful and heavily wooded park, with minimal but perfectly adequate facilities. The bath house was large and well-maintained, and the outside dish sink even had a garbage disposal. There are a decent selection of trails for all activity levels, and there is a facility called the Tea Room that is very popular for events(though we didn’t visit it while we were there). No large playgrounds, but we did see a few bare-bones swing sets scattered throughout the park.

Surrounding Area/Attractions: This park is in a great location for outdoor enthusiasts. Cunningham Falls, Catoctin Mountain, and Greenbrier SP(with AT access) are all a short drive away. The nearby cities of Frederick and Middletown offer all modern conveniences.

Overall, we really liked this park, and it is now on our “short list” of favorite MD state parks. If you can’t find a site at the nearby, more well-known parks like Greenbrier and Cunningham, this would be a great alternative. Heck, even if the others aren’t booked up, you still might want to opt for Gambrill anyway if you’re looking for a more peaceful, secluded camping experience.

My favorite spot!

I camp there multiple times a year! It's dog and family friendly, close to resources, but far enough that it's quiet and feels remote! No cell signal in the campground so the family is forced to disconnect. I absolutely love it!

Secluded park close to DC

Nice spread out camp sites with power hookup.

Quiet Family Fun

What a wonderful place! The resort is spacious, scattered throughout the woods. The RV sites are comfortable with all the amenities. And the customer service is impeccable.

We stayed during a few weekdays in October and we almost had the whole place to ourselves. We stayed in one of the cabins, which had 2 beds and a bunk bed, sink and toilet, refrigerator, microwave, dining table and sofa. There was also a front porch with picnic table and fire pit.

Honestly, the beds were not very comfortable and way too small for a couple to sleep in one. It was a VERY dark walk to get to the bathhouse for showers. And the fire pit had no grill, so we ended up having to use the stoves of some RV camping friends for meals. Otherwise the stay was great.

I would strongly recommend camping there in the summer months or during weekends in the shoulder season if you have social kids like mine. There were tons of things to do there for adults and kids alike. The activities — such as putt-putt, jump zone and the playground ended up being kinda boring for them without others to share it with. Obviously that would change with crowds. And advance reservations are a must — this place books up fast!

I would highly recommend staying at Merry Meadows, especially if you have an RV and a group of friends to join you!