Camping in Vernal

Recent Walk-In Reviews Near Vernal, Illinois

117 Reviews of 10 Vernal, Illinois Campgrounds

Adam M.
Reviewed Jun. 13, 2021

The willow slough (the slough)

The slough. We like it! I'm being bias due to how close it is to the house. It's $12 a night. Pretty clean campground run by the DNR, lots of acreage to explore. No real trails but if you don't mind roughing it plenty to explore, hunting, fishing, mushrooms, electric motor only boats on the…

• fishing from the kayaks
k
Reviewed Jun. 11, 2021

Nice wooded spots

We had spot 234, big, wooded, close to clean shower house, close to playground. State park is great hiking. Avoid the inner part of that loop if you want any shade, it is an open area.

Brett K.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 7, 2021

Great group camping

We stayed for a long weekend. Large group set up in sites 236-244. Great shaded area. Lots of play space for the kids.

• looking up the road from 243
  • looking up the road from 243
Kevin D.
Reviewed May. 29, 2021

Clean-good trails

Stayed Spring 2021. Site 108 is clean, level and well groomed. Close to bath house facilities.

Steve D.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed May. 28, 2021

Been going here since I was a kid

I love this place. The campground is pretty packed but with hiking as good as they have, I’m not surprised. I’d definitely do some hiking and I recommend canoeing sugarcreek as well.

Brett K.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed May. 15, 2021

Great camping spot

Love this clean and quite campground. It has a clean lake and clean restrooms.

• near the south point of the peninsula.
Douglas B.
Reviewed May. 12, 2021

Great hiking trails

Well maintained trails and campground. We love everything about this place.

Site110?
Month of VisitOctober
OurEpicFieldTrip  .The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed May. 11, 2021

MAY NOT HONOR YOUR RESERVATION!

We reserved a one-night stay 6 weeks in advance for the Friday night of Memorial Day Weekend. We received a call 2 weeks before our stay telling us they won't honor the reservation because they've decided to impose a three-night minimum for the holiday weekend. We would either have to come a day…

lThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Apr. 21, 2021

Raccoons , Raccoons, Raccoons..lol

It is a lovely park. Especially if you have a boat. They have a separate swimming area its kinda like its own cove. They have a camp store that is okay. They dont have much to choose from but there is a DG just down the road. Excellent fishing and fun trails to explore. The adorable raccoons are…

Siteprimitive.
Todd T.
Reviewed Apr. 12, 2021

Great family friendly environment

The park campground and all of its facilities were very clean. The park employees were friendly and super helpful. My family had a great time fishing. The lake was well stocked and maintained. We will definitely go back.

DThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jan. 29, 2021

My 'home' campsite.

I live about 30 minutes from Kickapoo SP and anytime I feel I need to camp I head over. Great little campground in Central Illinois. Some pretty trails overlooking, beside, and sometimes through water. The RV sites are great for either rv, van, or tent camping with a lot of level ground at most…

JThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Nov. 9, 2020

Pleasant surprise.

We were ready to stop anywhere when we found this. Spacious sites long pull through etc. Wish we had more time for the area. Would stay again.

Brady R.
Reviewed Oct. 27, 2020

A Touch Crowded for My Tastes

A friend and I came here with her pop-up tent for a random weekend in 2020 when the weather was absolutely perfect for camping - in the 70s the entire trip.

We arrived and were shocked to see that our site was basically on top of our neighbor's and it was not flat at all. Luckily, we weren't…

• Lake view
SiteSite 113
Shane H.
Reviewed Oct. 27, 2020

Just beautiful!

One of the best state park campgrounds I've grown to love with beautiful views, hiking, and boating

Wendy R.
Reviewed Sep. 19, 2020

Hiking!

Really great hiking! We had 2 sites. # 181, 182. Tip: Don’t leave any food out at night. Raccoons own the campgrounds! Stole our bag of marshmallows from the picnic table while we were making s’mores! Hilarious!