Lafayette, INDIANA

Most Recent Lafayette Camping Reviews
Love it here

This place is so beautiful! We stayed in the hideaway loop and it was perfect. Lots of wildlife, so pack your food up right. The hiking trails were pretty, not very rugged. Scenery was nice on the trails.

Very Pretty.

The place is beautiful. It is very busy on the weekends. My husband and I walked the rope bridge and climbed the ladders. There was a lot of bottle necking at the ladders, due to all of the foot traffic.  I would advise going on a weekday, if possible. I was also disappointed to learn tgat we could not bring our own kayaks. As a whole, we did have a great time and would definitely come back. On a weekday.

Our go to spot

We come to Sugar Creek because it is close and it is a nice campground. We wish there was a pool, but there is the creek. Most sites a spacious unless you are on the water side. Very tight spots there. Staff is very friendly. Campground is clean.

Relatively quiet and on the river.

I'll be back

We love this place.

Chris has always been friendly and accommodating when we've wanted to visit.

Peace and quiet

Very nice campground. Small and well kept. Management seems delightful. Helped friends of mine set up for the very first time. They walk and show you to your site. Not all sites have full hook ups. Shhh keep this place a secret! It has a bunch of 1800s style buildings to explore like a post office, railroad building, school house, all kinds of stuff and a boat-shaped play place.

Clean

Very nice camping. Lots to do.

Ranger Review: Banner & Oak Hats at Big Fish-N-Campground

Campground Review:

If you're looking for a great place for catch and release fishing, this is it! There are three huge ponds fully stocked with fish. The fishing is also open to the public where people can get day passes for 2, 4, 8 or 12 hours of fishing. It may also include access to the pool. I'm not too knowledgeable on fishing but the ponds do look a bit murky and dirty. If you were able to keep the fish, I'm not sure I would want to eat what I caught. The pool is nice and open based on request from 11am-6pm and they'll extend the hours based on the weather and amount of people there. Weekends are much busier than the week days. The grounds has 5 rows of RV sites. It seems most of them are filled with seasonal folks who spend almost every weekend here. Most are back in sites as well. The roads are pretty nicely done with white rock. I don't remember any serious potholes. There campground does not offer cable, internet or laundry. They are pet friendly, however, due to it being more about the fishing, watch where they step, I've found old fishing wire with hooks still attached on the ground. You get a code to the gate if you are staying for a while, more short term people will get a token to put in and you'll have to get a new token every time you want to come in from the store. The store is mostly filled with fishing gear, some snacks and drinks too. All in all, its an all right campground. I've stayed at nicer, I've stayed at worse.

Product Review:

As a ranger for the Dyrt, I sometimes get products to test out. This time I've been testing out hats from Banner & Oak. They have a wide array of hats available on their site including beanies for those colder months. I got one from both the men's and women's sections. First off, I wish there were just as many options for the women's as the men's. A lot of them men's ones are much cooler. Like the one I got which says "Freedom To Explore" I can't think of a better slogan for the RV lifestyle. With both hats you can tell they are made from very high quality materials. That they will last a long, long time. Even through the sweatiest of hikes. Both hats are adjustable which is nice. As a woman, I opted for the women's style since the website stated it had a different sizing structure to fit our different sized heads. I find that if I wear it properly, it will still push down on my ears a little bit. I am, however, still able to wear my sunglasses and the hat no problem and the sun stays out of my face. I do prefer the sizing on the men's hat, maybe I have a weird head shape but I know its pretty small.

Banner & Oak also sell these really awesome aluminum mugs that also say "Freedom To Explore."  The material makes them durable in the camper while we're traveling down the road and they are the perfect size for morning coffee! They're only 10 oz so it gives you the perfect amount (unless your they type that takes an IV of coffee every morning). Great stuff Banner & Oak!

Nice place close to Turkey Run State Park

I stayed at one of the primitive tent sites. It was nice and shaded. As the other reviewer pointed out, further away from the entrance will get you away from the road noise. The shower house was very clean and well kept.

I would definitely stay here again. I would just select a site toward the back.

Convenient

This place has come a long way. A lot nicer than it used to be when I was a kid. Friendly staff and clean campsites. Plenty of space at each campsite.

Nice Overall

Overall, a pretty nice campground if you’re just passing through. The owners are very friendly and will help you set up if you need it. The spots are close together but they have a very nice pool.

Very Clean

This is a great campground to just relax at. It is very clean including the restrooms. You must have all your equipment on the rocks provided. They have some walking trails and a nice farm at the front of the park. Overall, there isn’t a lot to do, but it is still a nice campground.

Great Atmosphere

Overall, a very nice campground. I grew up just 30 minutes away from here and recently just visited for the first time. Nice camp sites and friendly staff. My only reason for not giving 5 stars is the bathrooms are nice, but not air conditioned.

Very Peaceful

Turkey Run has one of the most peaceful campgrounds. It is nestled in the woods, away from big cities and you truly get to enjoy nature. They always have activities for the kids and they have some of the best hiking trails.

Great Family Camground

We have visited this campground twice now. The first time we stayed in one of the cabins. The cabins are large, bathroom was very clean, large screened in porch. Only con was that the cabins all share one large firepit. This past weekend we stayed in a camper. The sites were a nice size. Clean sites. Bathrooms were decent for a campground in my opinion. The kids had a great time riding bikes, playing on multiple playgrounds, and playing in the lake all day.

A getaway

Sites #P1 and #P10 were very nice and cozy!

Great place to have fun and enjoy the outdoors

Great location to river and rentals on site, one of the friendliest people at the office and make sure your taken care of!

Had a great time

Campsites where larger than I expected and am used to with KOA. Very enjoyable weekend stay. We stayed in site 89 which was a pull through full hook up site with cable tv as well. The pool was quite large and clean. The KOA page states that they have a pool and splash pad area as well as mini golf. The camp ground shares its pool with the neighboring camp ground and KOA campers are allowed to cross over to use the neighboring camp grounds splash pad and golf. The mini golf was in disrepair and build over a very scummy pond and the splash pad was a bit worn down as well. My kids stayed in the pool which was quite nice. If you stay with KOA you get decently discounted tickets to Indiana Beach amusement park which we may visit in a future visit. Over all we had an enjoyable stay and would come again but we would add an additional day to visit the amusement park.

Great for families and fun!

We  had an exceptional stay at sugar creek. The staff was beyond pleasant and helpful. We stayed in an electric off creek site. It was very spacious and the campgrounds is well taken care of. The park is great, they offer disc golf, Gaga, and other fun activities. The creek was high for canoeing and tubing the first 2 days but half the family was able to go the third day. Turkey run is only a 35 min drive to beautiful hiking. We can not wait to come back and camp again! All in all we have very few complaints, this includes bathrooms would be nice closer to off creek. And slightly larger shower room for moms with kids along with a couple more hooks to hang stuff.. It’s hard to squeeze in the stall and not have kids touch or drop things. The actual bathroom stalls were clean and taken care of and these are being very picky! Can’t wait to come back.

Great well kept campground. Tent camping sites are ok.

Prophetstown is a very well kept and clean park.  The sites book up super fast on weekends and you have to book months out. If you tent camp like we do the park makes you set tent up on gravel which is a little disappointing.  The best sites are the rev sites and they are slowly growing the tent ones.  Very little shade.  Unless you are on a full hookup site.  The playgrounds are nice and big but far away from the electric sites.  Bike trails are great and paved roads make it easy.  The best thing about this park is the water park. Not included for camping price but still decent priced.  We did go 3 days ina row which cost us $40 total for the weekend.  It can become costly if you go to the park multiple Fay’s ina row.  Overall our trip was great.  We have camped 2 times now.

Plenty of fun!

Raccoon State Recreation Area | Cecil M Harden Lake is located in the heart of historic covered bridge country just 50 miles West of Indianapolis. The campground is surrounded by the 2,060 acre Cecil M Harden reservoir offering boating (boat rental), fishing and a large swimming beach with concessions and amenities. The campground is extremely well maintained with many sites sheltered by tree canopy ranging from non-electric, 30 amp, to 50 amp. Fresh water is available at fill stations and a spacious dump station area make for easy disposal. Many of the sites are not level so chose wisely to suit your needs. Easy beach access from the campground via a paved walk/bike path, well stocked camp store at the entrance to the campground, well maintained bath house facilities, active interpretive Naturalist programs, and numerous hiking trail opportunities round out the amenities. This is a beautiful campground; and if you like to explore…take a drive through the area and enjoy the many historic towns, covered bridges and roller mills throughout the county.

Best Campground I have ever been.

Good size sites, Ample shade, lots of activities..

ABSOLUTELY THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACE!!!

This is the best place to go!!  Around Brown County is beautiful! …went once, was hooked! I go back as often as possible! ….CAMPING AT ITS BEST!

Great people, beautiful campground!

This KOA served as " home" for my husband and I for 3 weeks while moving. The family that runs the campground is wonderful and extremely helpful. The little restaurant has great food at good prices, and many ice cream flavors for those hot summer day's! Great pool and a place to let your dog run! The cabin we stayed in had so much privacy and was adorable! We love this KOA and can't wait to go back!

Just off the interstate! Great for a stopover!

We needed to extend by a day and the office was very helpful! Had pizza delivered! Good Cell, satellite and myfi reception.

Fun family campsite

The campsite it very spacious and there’s a decent amount of distance between each site. Sites by the river are especially nice. There’s a small camp store for basic necessities, firewood for sale as well and hot showers! Definitely recommend!

Very beautiful

Great trails. Not too difficult so definitely beginner friendly. Campsites in the area are also very pleasant, just be sure to book ahead as they fill up fast.

Family friendly, beautiful wooded sites.

Always something to do… championship disc golf course (wonderful wooded course, great walk with your morning coffee), children and adult activities, nice pool, friendly staff.

Bucolic Oasis in Peaceful Indiana Countryside

Book a weekend at Heritage Alpaca Farm (be it in a tent, RV, historic cabin, or forest tensile) and you will not regret it. This well-kept farm is tended to by incredible hosts, Tim & Beth. They have put much love into their inviting and scenic country haven.

As RV campers, we pulled into the circular driveway and parked with ease. A 30 amp hookup and water spigot are available within the recreation barn (along with ping-pong and often times Frost, the friendly Great Pyranese). From your rig you have a view of a small alpaca pasture and their covered event space.

Around the barn is a private fire pit, and Tim provided firewood upon request. Private toilets are a few steps away which are very clean.

WHAT MAKES HERITAGE FARM A GEM:

SUNSETS: We loved walking the grounds at dusk, enjoying epic sunsets and watching the fireflies light up, as far as the eye can see. The bicentennial barn is stunning and wonderfully restored. It's great for an excellent up-close look at the alpacas. Tim is a wealth of knowledge about the docile creatures and happy to answer any questions.

FRESH EGGS: We enjoyed farm fresh eggs every morning from their free-range chickens.

COOL CREEK: A small creek runs across the back of their property. On a hot Summer day, it's a nice place to sit and cool off.

ITALIAN PIZZA: An Italian style wood-fired outdoor pizza oven on the grounds is fired up for community pizza nights. Check with hosts to see when they are doing their next pizza night al fresco.

ALPACA STORE: A boutique on property sells luxury alpaca goods like scarves, wraps, socks, and more. The perfect place to pick up Christmas gifts. In November, a local artisan market is hosted here.

BIKING: The roads around the farm are quiet and smooth and make for excellent bike riding.

SWING: A swing on the property is a fun pastime for kids….Or for a small adult with a childlike spirit :)

*The town of Kokomo offers any groceries or amenities you need and is only a 20-minute drive.

Extra star for friendly staff

There’s a nice selection of camp sites at Wolfe’s. There are also serval amenities like river access, a small playground, and laundry. The staff is very pleasant and the rates aren’t bad.