Lafayette, INDIANA

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Lafayette Camping Reviews
Small

Host are the nicest people you could ask for. Always have activities on the weekend and very quiet.

Little peace of heaven

Love this campground. Has some full hookups. Nice graveled camp sites. Very quiet as well.

Down to Earth

Small but peaceful campground. Well worth the time spent here.

Some of the best Indiana has to offer

My favorite of my home state's parks. I have camped and hiked here in droughts and torrential downfalls. Even so, never had a problem here. There's a camp shop on property and a canoe livery across the road where you can get your float on.

Beautiful park and trails

Love that this was voted the best campground in Indiana by The Dyrt because that is just how I felt about our stay. Great hiking trails plus a lodge with gift shop and restaurant.

Many of the sites are a good size and level but not all of them are, so be cautious if you are reserving and not familiar with the sites. In April, we practically had the entire campground to ourselves! The ranger was obviously not busy so he came over to talk to us for a while. We especially liked the hike to the covered bridge and exploring the sandstone canyons. The suspension bridge was fun too! We saw birds, a profusion of beautiful wildflowers and (not so beautiful) wild turkeys. We would love to return in the fall.

A truly wonderful experience!

I learned of this place through the Dyrt (thank you!) and knew I wanted to stay here! There are several options available: tent camping (including a tree tent!), RV camping (two with electric hookups), and a 170-year-old log cabin. If you are RV camping, there are two very clean, private, and fully stocked "outhouses" (see photo below)

We originally planned to camp in our van but with below-freezing temperatures and a forecasted snowstorm, we decided to take refuge in the log cabin. To call this a log cabin is a disservice; yes, it is made from logs(and is 170 years old) but I was expecting a tiny one-room cabin; instead it is a two-story cozy home that can sleep up to six people, all in one upstairs room (two full-size beds and two twin beds; would be great for families). It was cozy and warm, heated by a gas stove. The bathroom (with a shower) is accessed from just outside the back door but is heated. The kitchen is an outdoor grill and picnic table, but we did not use this.

Tim and Beth were very welcoming, as was Juno, their dog. We enjoyed helping to feed the Alpacas– they have over 50. The rooster crowed gustily at dawn (but dawn was after 7 am and we were already awake). Also on the farm is Stormy, the horse, chickens, and some barn cats. There is a shop that sells goods made from Alpaca wool and we made sure to visit before departing.

Staying here was truly special and we hope to return to camp in one of the RV spots or the tree tent in the future.

The best!

We really enjoyed staying at this campground. We unfortunately took the wrong route on a trail and ended up hiking almost 5 miles in the rain but it was amazing! The hike was incredibly beautiful and there were so many others on the trail with us. Campsite was very nice and everyone was very helpful!

Love it here

This place is so beautiful! We stayed in the hideaway loop and it was perfect. Lots of wildlife, so pack your food up right. The hiking trails were pretty, not very rugged. Scenery was nice on the trails.

Very Pretty.

The place is beautiful. It is very busy on the weekends. My husband and I walked the rope bridge and climbed the ladders. There was a lot of bottle necking at the ladders, due to all of the foot traffic.  I would advise going on a weekday, if possible. I was also disappointed to learn tgat we could not bring our own kayaks. As a whole, we did have a great time and would definitely come back. On a weekday.

Our go to spot

We come to Sugar Creek because it is close and it is a nice campground. We wish there was a pool, but there is the creek. Most sites a spacious unless you are on the water side. Very tight spots there. Staff is very friendly. Campground is clean.