Ramsey Acres , ILLINOIS

Most Recent Ramsey Acres Camping Reviews
Quiet Campground with Scenic Views of the Rock River

Very nice campground for weekend getaways. Less than two hours from western suburbans of Chicago. Just about a mile from Oregon where you can find a number of bars and restaurants. There are also walking trails within the campgrounds.

Commerical, but not packing them in

This is a very popular campground. Lots of big rigs who seem to be staying for quite a while. Our relatives recommended this one since some of their friends use it for "the summer." A very nice, well manicured campground. Though a commercial-style, it does not feel like it. Sites are well spaced. Full trees around the perimeter, but not a lot for shade over the campsites. Water and electrical at every site.  Very easy in and out, for any sized rig.

There have been 2 murders here

I have to admit that I’ve not camped here, but I just downloaded Dyrt and was looking at local sites around where I live and saw this campground posted and felt I needed to be very clear about the conditions here. I’ve driven through, and it’s quite frightening. Just Google the name and read the news articles to get a clear picture of what this place is about. It’s not safe, clean or anyplace someone should camp.

Some really nice spots

The area has lots of RV and Campers strewn about- but the tent spots are spacious and right along the river. I camped there on a great night in early November and had the whole place to my self. Quiet, beautiful, and the staff was very nice.

Fun place to go

We have only been to this campground one time because we wanted to try something new. We had a lot of fun there playing in the water on the beach however my son who was five at the time got a really bad bacterial rash from the water. Other than that we had a really good time and the campground was very clean and everyone was really nice. We were definitely go back but not to swim in the water LOL

Fishing and Boating fun

Love going to this campground. Always nice and clean. Bath/showers are very clean with hot water. Nicely kept grounds with a beautiful lake for dock and boat fishing. You can rent boats and they have a nice camping store. Downside, not too many other things to do. Long drive to get into town and not much there but a gas station and grocery store.

Fall Camping at Shabbona

We have been to Shabbona a few times, and have always had a great time!  We really enjoy their pontoon boat rentals and fishing.  The view from our site was great.  Appreciated the little path behind our site that lead to the water.  My kiddos enjoyed hiking throughout and catching frogs.  I was disappointed that the water was already turned off (the lady at the store said she thinks it was due to covid??).  It was also disappointing that the camp store closed on a Saturday, didn't give notice that the last day to buy firewood was on Friday, and then it would be first come, first serve.  Because of the water/campstore closing I did give it 4 stars instead of 5.  My husband said the latrines in Canvasback Cove were "decent".  The main shower house with flushing toilets was clean.  Sites are not very private, but the fall colors made up for it.  We did name the tree our camper was under "baby spider tree".  Oddly, our last day we woke up to TONS of baby spiders all over our campsite dangling from the tree… pretty gross, but we can laugh about it now, lol.  Overall, we will be back next spring since it is a close campground.  May try a campsite in the other circle.

Nice spot & not far from Chicago

You can tell they’re trying to remodel some of the sites. There is lots of grass so all the rain this weekend and we weren’t muddy was awesome! Big park with tons of spots. The pull throughs were really long. We like dispersed sites so we wouldn’t have like this park ‘in season’ when it’s packed. That being said we’ve already decided this will be our first stop when the season starts again! Water pressure was steady. Power was consistent. Bathroom/shower/laundry rooms were all very clean and well maintained. We couldn’t reach the WiFi from our site but it was good closer to the lake. They also have free TV but we didn’t hook up to that. Having a sewer hook up on site was a welcome change to our typical state park sites we frequent. The road has lots of dips and bumps but going slow they weren’t an issue. We were on the main road and there was lots of traffic going back and forth which was surprising since there wasn’t a lot of campers. They have a huge lake with paved paths that we were able to walk the first night (not raining) and the beach looks like it will be fun to enjoy in the summer.

Best Fall camping around!

We had a great stay at Lowden State Park. We arrived later in the evening and the park host greeted us and our name was at our reserved site already. We were at site #21. It was huge and plenty of room for a camper and tent if needed. The fire pit was in good condition along with the picnic table. We were a very short walk to the bathrooms and water. The camp ground was very clean and quiet night. Huge trees were providing ample shade. Great family campground as it has two playgrounds, sand volleyball court and large open field to play soccer. The camp store has a small selection of camping supplies along with snacks and drinks. Fire wood is available also but a truck drives around in the evening selling firewood to campers. A great service if you are located at a campsite farther away. The bathhouse was clean and tidy. We didn’t use the showers so I have no comment on those. The best part of this camp ground is the hiking and the falls colors. We hiked along the river and saw the Blackhawk Statue. The fall colors were in full display and we loved running through the leaves and throwing them at each other. We sat by the river and had a picnic lunch. It was a great weekend to wrap up our season of camping.

Nice Place

This is a nice, quiet little campground. The sites up on the hill are nicely spaced out and deep. We will definitely be back. The only issue we had was the narrow road up the hill, I would hat to be half way up and meet another camper coming down.