About Illini State Park
Illini State Park is located in Illinois
13 Reviews of Illini State Park
Decent State Park

Spent a couple nights here (site 3) for Vintage Illinois at a nearby park. Quiet, fairly level, gravel sites. Electric worn but fully functional. Lots of trees and shade. From map it looked like site 3 was isolated at end of loop - weeellll, it IS at the end of a loop - right across from camp host and adjacent to maintenance area for lock & dam - not very picturesque. Didn’t use bathhouse so can’t comment on that. Drink vending machines by bathhouse. Local guy across from entrance to park sells firewood. Site had fire ring and picnic table. One thing to note - trees drop some kinda “nuts” and when you drive over them they pop and it sounds just like you are dragging low hanging branches. I started to backing and swore I was hitting branches (even though I’d looked and knew it was clear) and DW said we were clear….

Woods near the river

Went tent camping here and reserved our spot in advance. We bought fire wood from a locals front lawn at the entrance to the state park. Put 5$ in the bin and take a bundle. Its 30 mins away from Starved Rock and Matthiesson State Park. Good hiking. The river spots are all booked by large RVs and the tent spots have grills over the fire pits and picnic tables. lots of tree cover which came in handy when it rained in the morning. Otherwise great weather and not buggy. Dogs allowed.

Poor 30amp electrical service

We tried to stay in site 14 that had 30 amp service. Our TT is 30amp. Our A/C unit kept tripping the breaker on the campground pole. Our breaker inside never tripped. They had someone come out and claimed their electric was fine and our A/C was broken. Went home bc it was 95 out and our A/C ran fine off a 20amp household outlet with no issues. Reported this so it could be fixed and the office still argued that their service was fine.

Nice place

Nice peaceful campground with decent camp sites, friendly people and fun small towns close with cool bars right on the Illini river. I have a bench I sit on by the river and I drank old style and think about my grandpa.

Camping on the riverside

Located right on the river. There are many tent sites available and at a great price. The bathrooms located near the electrical sites have showers and running water. The bathrooms that are in the tent site only area are more like port-o-potty style. So in the heat of summer there are a lot of flies and you should have something to wash your hands ie no running water. I’d stay there again and the hosts were very sweet.

River front park

The campsites are small but secluded. The park is right along the river so it’s great for launching your boat or kayaking. No hiking. Sites are almost always available and decent prices, but not a whole lot to do.

Nice alternative to crowds at Starved Rock

This lesser known state park right on the banks of the river is a nice alternative to Starved rock state park.

The main campground has modern toilets and showers and a beautiful view of the river and the lock and dam.

Quiet Little Campground along the Illinois River

This state park has 2 campgrounds with electric and non-electric in both. We stayed in electric site 14 in Great Falls Campground, which has a river view. Non-electric sites are in the woods. Level driveway, picnic tables, and fire pit on all sites. Water located throughout. Older bathroom with 2 toilet and shower stalls on each side. Pit potty in non-electric area, but you can use the bathhouse too.

Whitetail Campground does not have any river noise, but it's not as well maintained.

Easy access to I-80. Sit along the river and watch the barges go by. Great hiking at Starved Rock State Park to the west.

Only negative: occasional sewage smell wafts by.

Great little campground with sites that back up to the Illinois river

I you want a spot by the river make sure you reserve

Great for picnics, not for camping

I visited this park on an impromptu trip with a friend, abd while the views of the Illinois River (including a tug boat going by just feet from the bank in the early AM hours!) we're spectacular, the camping was not great. The sites don't offer great scenery, and you can hear the constant electrical hum of the nearby lock and dam. It is not a peaceful spot for camping at all.

The pavilions, however, were very nice, and I strongly recommend it for picnics or family events.