The best WALK IN camping near
Valley Grove , ALABAMA

Most Recent Valley Grove Camping Reviews
A nice campground with great sites.

This has been a go to for several years.  Very family oriented.

Nice National Forest Campground

I arrived without a reservation trying to get one of the first come first serve spots. There is a gate without intercom, so you can’t just drive up. I called the phone number listed and the woman on the phone gave me the gate code and told me which sites were available. Worked out pretty well. Stayed in 22. One bathhouse is open. Another one I tried was locked due to Covid. Clean. Yellohammer sites have full hookup. Then there are tent sites. I was contemplating getting a tent site with my van, but they were pretty unlevel and small. There is a public boat ramp and one specifically for the campground. Water level was still very high in the lake after recent rains and storms.

Great

We loved it here. It was quiet and well maintained.  Employees were very friendly.

Tight

Gold hiking trails but most RV sites are built up for parking but a lot of sites drop off steeply right off the pavement.   Facilities are fair but dated.

Nice area for RV camping and boating

I went here for tent camping and had a nice time but it was mostly families with RVs. There is a nice lake where a lot of people were boating as well. I did the firefly loop and I was the only tent camper everyone else was in an RV. Restrooms at the campground were closed due to covid. Also they emailed me the gate code and info to get into the campground but I didn’t see it until after I left. I luckily ran into the campground host and she was able to direct me.

Lovely primitive camping

Stayed just off the main road about a mile at a previously made campsite. Some other campsites around were filled with trash. Please pick up after yourselves.

No cellular but ok enough data.

Primitive.

Trailhead is down from the campsites a ways, probably would drive it not walk it.

The roads aren’t the best but my van made it despite the muddy potholes.

So close to great trails

This is a great campground which puts you near all the magic of the Sipsey Wilderness Area in the Bankhead National Forest. We last camped here in May 2020 on Yellowhammer 21 and there was a bit of a sewer smell in that area when it’s hot, so beware of that, but otherwise the campground is great. The trails in the nearby Sipsey are just amazing. If you go hiking, make sure you have AllTrails with a downloadable trail map before you leave the campsite, because there is not great cell service on most trails, and it’s easy to get turned around in some places. They also sell a waterproof Cart-o-Craft map in the stores nearby that can be super helpful.

Welcoming Waterway Campsites

2/28-3/3/21 Site 44 Brisk mornings (40’s) and comfortable days (50’s-60’s). We share the campground with less than a dozen other campers. Campground staff and other campers are friendly. Park attendant Bobby Owen chatted with us each morning on our walks as he made his rounds. He answered questions and made suggestions. Many sites (43&44) are paired and close together. We see a variety of waterfowl and a few bass fishing boats. It is a working waterway and we observe barges each day.

Wonderful Campground

The was a nice, quiet campground.  The site had plenty of space, level, and easy to back into.  there is a nice overlook and plenty of hiking trails.   We were on the yellow loop

Peaceful

Always packed with hikers but nonetheless we always have enough space and a good time. The downfall to this park is the camper pads. There are a few that are perfect. Most of them once you step out of your camper has a huge drop off. Just remember to park as close to the hookup side as possible. Clean bathrooms and nice hosts when we go. Love the trails. The Bear Creek is peaceful to sit beside. Hoping to kayak here this summer. Can’t wait to go back.