About Brushy Lake Recreation Area

Brushy Lake Recreation Area offers everything from camping, picnicking, boating, and fishing to sanitary facilities including a bathhouse.A 33-acre lake, Brushy Lake has 13 campsites that accommodate very small recreational vehicles and tents. Campers occupy sites on a first come, first serve basis.

National Forest
Brushy Lake Recreation Area is located in Alabama
8 Reviews of Brushy Lake Recreation Area
Great overnight spot

Easily accessible spot to overnight. Close to Sipsey Wilderness and several waterfalls. Clean and quiet. Short paved walking trail, fishing pier, restrooms/showers.

One of my favorite places to camp

Warning: this place has no cell service, that could be a good thing or a bad thing. We don't seem to mind it. I do recommend downloading an offline version the area in Google Maps, just in case.

This is a really good place for weekend camping! Me and my family love to go camping here. The lake is great for canoeing and fishing. There is a primitive restroom in the camping area and a restroom with a shower and running water in the day area. There is a nice paved trail that goes from the campgrounds halfway around the lake to the dam.

It only cost $5 a night to camp here and the park is on the honor system.

This is a video I made on my last camping trip: https://youtu.be/MK391ssfNe8

Brushy Lake Camping with Family

Very family friendly. Has a fire pit and picnic table at each campground. There is a 2 stall bathroom in the middle of the campsite and another set of bathrooms with a shower a short walk away. Beautiful hiking, complete with a waterfall witching just a few minutes walk. Bring your canoe and fishing pole too! We go every year and cannot wait to go back.

Great Campground

love going to Brushy Lake to camp only costs $5.00 a day and fishing is good I was there 2 weeks ago and the campground looked great going back soon. No phone service though.

PERFECTION

Have camped here twice now and absolutely love it. The lake is great and the area around it is great to explore.

Beautiful park

Currently there are 2 bathrooms with flush toilets and running water (1 nearest road has cold water showers), 3 covered pavilions with multiple concrete picnic tables. Sites are decently spaced with picnic tables near sites close to water, will need to form your own fire ring with stones. Boat ramp, dump station, and beautiful trees everywhere. There are water moccasins in this area so beware of them.

Park is currently making an RV area with pads and it is closed while they upgrade.

Free to camp there at time of review.

Great camping, but have to drive to hikes

Sipsey is a great place to camp if you want to travel a bit further outside of Birmingham. We did a really nice hike, but we did have to drive a bit down the road to get to the trail head. We had a pretty nice set up at our campsite and had a decent amount of privacy from other sites. The nature in this area is very cool and consists of caves that you can hike through and giant rocks with massive roots growing down the side which can be climbed on (check out the pics!). The campsite had a nice picnic table and grill, although we didn’t use the grill provided because we brought our own.

Ranger Review: Primus Onja Stove at Brushy Lake Recreation Area, AL

Campground Review:

Located right outside of the core part of Sipsey wilderness (William Bankhead) this campground is a great place for people who want to be around other tent campers and want something a little more secluded. Many of the other sites in the are are packed with RVs and can get crowded during busy season but on a Wednesday night we had the whole place to ourselves. The sites are each pretty sizable and have a good bit of privacy. They also each have a picnic table that is bolted to the ground and a hook for hanging gear and trash.

One of the great parts of this campground is its location relative to some amazing hiking. Only a 15 min drive away are several trailheads that get you deep into the magical waterfall filled forest of Sipsey. You can use this site as a basecamp for only $5 a night and have easy access. The sites also are on a first come first serve basis with no management at the site. There is a central water pump and bathrooms without showers. Though you can go down the road 30 seconds and get to the attached day use area that does have nice hot showers and large clean bathrooms.

The one big downside to this site is that there is no swimming access to the lake. With hot Alabama summers we were hoping to get in the water but it was too marshy to make that happen. If you are in to fishing there is a nice dock for that and tons of fish in the lake.

……………………….

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products. At this campground, I tested the Primus Onja Stove. My wife and I have been using my parents car camping stove and this was a major upgrade.

After some serious dinner and breakfast cooking my favorite things about the stove are:

1. Portability: Since you can attach the gas canisters in advance and the whole stove packs up nice and tight it is really easy to carry to your site and quickly get it going. It would also be easy to get it to a picnic site or packed up for a boat trip. I really liked that I didn't have to worry about bringing the gas since I knew it was already set and ready to go.
  2. Design and style: Wow! I have really never seen a stove that looks this cool. When you open it up the frame extends out giving an elevated surface to cook on making it easier to work with when you don't have a table to cook on. I especially loved that the wood top functioned as a separate cutting board. My only suggestion is that when you get the stove you treat the wood with cutting board oil since it got a little roughed up with all the veggies we cut up.
  3. Flame control: Although I didn't perform a water boil test we were able to cook a variety of meals including grilled veggie sausages, chickpea couscous, grilled portobello, quinoa oatmeal, and coffee all at different temperatures. Everything came out perfect and it was one of the easiest cooking experiences I have had at a campsite. The flame is pretty sensitive to slight adjustments in the dial but we were able to get the heat we wanted and when opened fully it puts out a serious flame.