Alder Springs , ALABAMA

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Alder Springs Camping Reviews
One of our favorites

We camp here often. The staff is super friendly and helpful. We tried a full hookup site 5 this time which needed more gravel as it was pretty sloshy/muddy. The water/electric sites without sewer are more private for sure… our favorite area is around 19-ish. The trails here are amazing, but do get quite muddy after a rain, so definitely do not try mountain biking on wet trails. The Stone Cuts trail is great for hiking, and the McKay Hollow trail is very nice for hiking and has a waterfall, but a pretty difficult hike, especially when wet. The planetarium is a little cheesy but very fun when it’s open if you have kids.

Conveniently Located

The Cove is right off of I-59 at Attalla with easy on and easy off access. The negatives are when it rains the roads are a mess. The internet service is less than desirable unless you are close to the access point. The view of the lake is beautiful if you are on a site that pulls up to the lake. There is a half sunk boat that floats around the lake and although I think it’s funny, my wife is a little spooked by it! The camp host is less than a host and more of traffic cops. The only correspondence we had with them was driving above the unposted speed limit and reclaiming my jack boards after leaving for three day weekend away and leaving the boards in our prepaid spot for the month. I am not a fan of the camp host. If you are looking for an easy over night stopping point The Cove is a great place. If a long term place to stay is what you are looking for then maybe look on down the road.

Great Campground with Top Notch Staff

My boyfriend and I stayed here for Valentine's Day weekend (2 night stay). I had intended to go south for warmer weather. It's not what we got, BUT we had such a pleasant stay nonetheless!

We stayed in Site 14, a pull through site towards the middle of the loop. None of the sites are secluded, but they aren't right on top of each other either. You can definitely see and hear your neighbors' sites.

We drove in late on Friday night (after 9:00 pm). The fog was so bad, we couldn't see further than 5 feet in front of us! With GPS, we were able to make it to the state park entrance. We were greeted by a wonderful gentleman who gave us directions to the campground.

Upon arriving at the gate of the campground, the host came out on a golf cart and guided us directly to our site. He brought us firewood and made sure we were in the site safely. The staff members at the SP were stand outs! Super friendly and helpful!

The fog ended up freezing on to everything, but we still managed to get out and about! Even made the short trip out to Fagan Creek Falls near the picnic area.

The bath house was super warm! Showers were great and the stalls were kept clean! The campground is pet friendly too.

Overall, a wonderful experience! We will definitely be returning!

Great Hiking and Gardens

We loved it here and can’t wait to go back! The campsites were a little close together, but it was very doable. We had extremely foggy, wet weather (I’m pretty sure we were in a low cloud all weekend), but it’s things like that that make memorable trips!

Lots of hiking in the park, plus the gorgeous Japanese Gardens was a huge bonus! Highly recommend the Stone Cuts Trail!

The camp office has a few supplies if needed. The host sells firewood, but it was still too fresh for us to burn, so we had to leave camp to go buy wood somewhere else.

Picturesque

There isn’t anywhere that doesn’t have a view connected to a great golf course and fishing that can’t be beat. Can get crowded but has places to get away on trails and the water

Beautiful state park

Plenty to do here at Desoto. Many hiking, biking trails. Zip line course. Swimming pool in summer. Campsites are well maintained and flat. Clean restrooms and showers. Nice camp store with plenty supplies. The Lodge is also great. The Restaurant serves amazing breakfast buffet (check hours of operation). Plenty of deer wondering throughout the campground. And Desoto Falls is just a few minutes drive from campground. There’s also plenty of cabins to stay in as well.!!! This place stays book up in fall …..so reserve early.

Great weekend

Great hiking and biking rv camp ground very nice and clean bath houses

Nice park, friendly staff, lots of trails to hike and a Japanese Garden

We are in site 80 for 5 weeks for the holidays. The campground was largely empty during the week. AT&T coverage is poor at best with only 1 Bar and 0.2-0.6 MB/s. I use AT&T’s Mark the Spot app and ping this location every time we stay here. Hopefully, some day they will improve service here. T-Mobile had 1 Bar but 4 MB/s. There is no WiFi. We had marginal satellite coverage at our site with the trees bare and there would likely not be much at most of the other sites either due to the heavy tree cover. We were however, able to get 29 OTA DTV channels with our omni antenna. We did have 50A service at our site, but I don’t believe they all have it yet.

Our GPS(RV Life app) always indicates that you turn from Monte Sano Blvd onto Denison Ave, but don’t go that way, very narrow. Go one street past Denison to Nolens Ave, which goes straight into the park.

The sewer receptacle connections are not threaded, so you'll have to weigh down your sewer elbow to prevent it from coming out of the receptacle.

Beautiful!

It's a little hard to get to if you have a big giant rig, but I can't justify giving this place any less than 5 stars. Tons of hiking trails with beautiful scenery, nice big parking sites, and full hookups. They have a little store for essentials and a lodge/restaurant that was awesome! I had no service at all with T-Mobile, but my verizon hotspot worked well in most places. The free wifi is only available at the check in site/store, the lodge, and the comfort stations, so it doesn't reach to all sites.

A word of caution though - if you value your life and property, stay off county road 604/606. Check your directions ahead of time and find another way. I only drove it with my tow car and still felt like my life was on the line - and it's a Chevy spark 😂 Had a bit of a rough time getting the RV backed in, but that was my fault for 1) being a newbie and 2) just having to see this park even though all pull-throughs were booked. Nice neighbor helped me out.

Beautiful mountain top camping

Monte Sano is one of our favorite places to get away for the weekend. The staff is super friendly!!! Nice campsites, clean bathhouses, and campground usually stays pretty quiet at night. Beautiful night views of city lights from several camp spots. Park also has a nice Japanese garden, planetarium, hike / bike trails, and scenic overlooks. Just minutes from downtown Huntsville!!!