About Cathedral Caverns State Park
No WiFi
Cathedral Caverns State Park is located in Alabama
7 Reviews of Cathedral Caverns State Park
Clean, Quiet, Comfortable

My son Charlie(age 8) and I camped at Cathedral Caverns State Park on June 17, 2019. It was a Monday night. We chose one of the primitive campground sites and paid a little under$20 for one night. Since we were camping we received a discount on our cave tour the next day. It's worth noting that all of the primitive and RV campsites are outside of the state park’s main gates which means that anyone can easily enter or leave the camp at anytime day or night; however, two state employees live fulltime within walking distance of the campsites. It was encouraging to know that help was only steps away if we needed it. One of the rangers actually stopped and introduced himself while making his early evening round. He verified that I had registered at the camp, informed me that it might rain that night, and wished us a good evening. A father and son also drove through the campground about that time in a personal car. I expected him to camp, but later when we went for a walk, we didn’t find him. On our walk we went down to the restrooms gathering kindling in large, reusable grocery bags. We also brought our one gallon water jug. It’s quite a walk to the restroom and unless you are driving, it would be unreasonable to rely on it as your bathroom. Bring a camping toilet or a shovel. The RV sites are right next to the restrooms, which means that if you are in the primitive site it is very unlikely that you will hear RV generators all night. There were no RVs there on our night because the sites were being overhauled and it was closed though the restrooms were still up and running. The restrooms were very clean and spacious with clean, new shower curtains and it was fully stocked with supplies. I can’t say if the water was hot, but my suspicion is that it probably was since the rest of the facility is well kept. Back to the kindling: There’s plenty to be had and we even found four or five logs left by our campsite by a previous camper. Speaking of firewood, there’s plenty of that for sale for a reasonable$10.00 at the restroom facility. Money’s left in a box on the honor system. After cooking two cans of Southgate chili on an improvised Sweedish fire using the charitable camper’s firewood, we played in the field which was easily accessible from the primitive campsite. It’s guarded by a feral but entertaining cat who has an appetite for small rabbits. He almost caught one when he chased it through the campsite and under the picnic table where we happened to be eating supper. I’m not sure if he ever caught him but the last time I saw them they were running through the campsite like the wind. The campsite was simple. There was a fire ring and an old picnic table. You might want to bring a table cloth along or use a tarp if you’re doing more than heating up canned chili. The site was clean as was the entire park. I was easily able to back into the site with a 2007 Trailblazer. Though we had planned on tent camping, we ended up sleeping in the Trailblazer. Dad brought the tent, but he forgot the poles. All of the sites were clean and would have made wonderful tent sites. They were spaced adequately apart to provide a sense of privacy though if you’re pooping in a bucket you might have to be strategic in your temporary John placement. I don’t think my wife would have liked the bathroom situation at all and it might have been a bigger issue for Charlie and me if there’d been anyone else on the campground. We were the sole campers at Cathedral Caverns during our visit. We weren’t the only people using the park though. There were plenty who come to see the cave which true to its name feels like a Cathedral. I’ve been in a few tourist caves but there’s something different about this one. Our tour guide did a great job not only telling us about the beauty and history of the cave, but helped us to imagine one of the caves first explorers and its benefactor Mr, Gurly. If that description doesn’t make you want to visit, here’s this: Legend says there’s a ledge in the cave and if you toss a coin and land it right on the ledge you get your wish. After I tossed my dime I regretted instantly not wishing for a billion instead of a million dollars. I was assured by the tour guide that I could expect my check any day now, so the star review might change depending on how quickly the check rolls in.

Nice enough

It was clean and mostly quiet but close to main roads so you can hear cars driving by. The showers and bathhouse were very clean and well maintained. The staff was very friendly and helpful. It’s not as secluded as I normally like but we went when it wasn’t busy so there were only two other campsites taken and everyone stayed spaced out. I would camp there again if I was in the area.

Secluded

This campground was especially cool for us because we were the only camperz the night we stayed. We have a tiny trailer so we stayed in the RV section which have water and electric. It is 30amp and up so if you need 20 (which we did), make sure you have a converter. You can "rent" one for 10$ if not and get refunded once you leave.

This area has a large bathroom with showers. There are picnic tables and a fire ring. There is also a primitive tent area but I didnt go back there since it was a short stop for us.

This campground has a large cave which you can tour during the day for a small fee. The gift shop is nice and the people were helpful.

Come for the caverns- the camping is okay

Okay- so we are strictly tent/primitive campers. This would be a decent place if you're looking for an RV experience. The sites themselves are pretty plain old plots of land. Nice and green in the early summer, but nothing all that special. But this place is still totally worth a visit! The caverns, while pre-tty gimmicky, are really impressive and nothing beats that inside-of-a-refrigerator feeling of a nice cave on a hot day. You might even want to take a sweater. Not the most pristine nature experience we would usually seek for camping, but it's an afforable way to stay near the caverns which are worth the trip!

Accessible caverns

If you are looking for a Cave experience in Norh Alabama that little kids can handle, this is it. Yes, it may be a little too tame for some and there is a small fee but it beats having to climb out of a hole with a petrified Pre schooler on your back.

Cute, secluded camping

Very cute place to camp. Tree cover helps protect from the rain. Great amenities as well. Has showers, not sure if there is a washer machine there but we didnt need it. We camped here 2 nights back in May and it was beautiful. Great place to camp if you are exploring the caverns or Stephen’s Gap!

Beautiful Backcountry Seclusion

Great little campsite on the yellow trail. You have to climb the mountain (Pisgah Mountain) to get there. Great sunsets and sunrises over the foothills of the Appalachians.