This week: The power of stoke, Nike hiking boots, coffee recipes, astronomy parks, love for Lake Ouachita, and more.
If you’re feeling the summer pressure right now, we feel you. The season for camping has begun, and already there aren’t enough weekends to see all the campgrounds we’re dying to visit.
But we have your back. Here at The Dyrt headquarters, we’ve been super busy making it easier for you to visit more campgrounds — to find, research, review, and share those campgrounds. If you haven’t downloaded our new camping app yet, what are you waiting for? Summer will be gone before you know it!
Along with helping you camp more and camp better, we’re here to share stories and advice about camping and outdoor adventures. And to make sure you don’t miss a thing, we’re rounding up our most popular stories of the week, along with articles from around the web and from our brand partners.
So dive in and bookmark some campground reading material. Here’s what’s been happening:
What You Missed From The Dyrt Magazine
- She knew she wanted to live in a van someday. But a weekend in an Escape Campervan sealed the deal.
- Heading to Ohio? Catch a stunning night sky at the new John Glenn Astronomy Park.
- Braille trails make hiking more accessible for the visually impaired. But there are sensory benefits for everyone.
- We’re dreaming of these breathtaking Hawaiian day hikes.
- How one man found opportunities to mourn and to heal the end of a relationship by camping.
Outdoor News + Stories We’re Reading
- Can the outdoor industry’s enthusiasm for wild places really ignite change? Your Stoke Won’t Save Us and Actually — I Think Your Stoke Will Save Us explore opposing views. [High Country News ]
- Nike now makes hiking boots, and of course, they look pretty cool. [Digital Trends]
- Travelers (campers included) are paying more attention to the plastic problem. Here’s how some travel companies are trying to solve it. [Lonely Planet News]
- As the climbing industry reels from two tragic deaths this week, a new fund might help them manage their grief.
Stories From Our Brand Partners Who Love Camping, Too!
- If you love getting dirty on some single tracks, Spokane, Washington should be on your mountain biking radar. [Gregory Packs]
- Coffee already tastes better at the campground. But kick things up a notch with these fun coffee recipes. [Nature’s Coffee Kettle]
- The couch is tempting, but activity should be part of your recovery day after a big hike. So should these healthy foods. [Wild Zora]
Campground of the Week: Lake Ouachita State Park, AR
“A short drive from Hot Springs you will find this park with amazing views. The best tent sites that are not close to the water are 82, 83 or 84; however, we recommend the ones closest to the water. The park has a marina where you can rent boats, kayaks and paddle boats… We travel with our dog Lulu and she enjoyed the trails and the water too!” — The Dyrt camper Ana A. at Lake Ouachita Campground
[button style=’black’ url=’https://thedyrt.com/camping/arkansas/arkansas-lake-ouachita-state-park/’ target=’_blank’]Camp Here[/button]