The best BOAT IN camping near

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Mount Alto Camping Reviews
Winter Visit

We stopped here on Thanksgiving on our way South. Self paying, off season was $15. But the restrooms were closed. There were only 3 other sides occupied. Nice little campground in the Appalachian Foothills. Be aware that Google maps doesn't send you to the campground but to a parking lot at the Lake (25 min detour). So make sure you follow the State Park signs.

Small sites, very close

Super small campground with one road in/same road out. Check-out time created quite the backup.

The sites were too short for my camper, which is odd because when booking I indicated the length of my camper. I had to back in camper, drop it, move truck, hook camper back up and finish backing in to site. Pulling out was the reverse of this.

A smaller camper would fit perfect right next to the creek at the end of the road. The lake is nice too with a small island.

Clean

Nice

Small

But okay

Free Free

I don’t have a lot to add to the other reviews, yes, it’s very close to a roadway and train tracks, but it’s free!

Near boat ramp

So I came to this campground because it’s free. I arrived and found the dump station and filled my water tank with potable water, when I moved onto the three spots available (only one was taken) I read the sign that clearly says only RV’s and Trailers allowed and all other will be towed at owners expense. well I have an all white converted sprinter and from the outside it just looks like a working van. Although I can prove that my van is an RV I didn’t feel like waking up in the middle of the night on a moving van that is being towed, sooo just in case I left and drive 20 min to Cabelas.

Nice trails, not so nice campsites

Most of the sites at this state park campground are very small and don’t have much level ground. Even the sites meant for RVs and trailers are right on top of each other. It’s almost like they took what should have been one site and made it two. There’s a handful of sites that offer a little space and level ground for tent campers. You may or may not have a picnic table and fire ring with a grill at your campsite when you arrive. According to staff, people take the fire rings and I guess there’s nothing they can do. Bathrooms were clean. The lake view trail was nice and accessible from the campground.

Great site!

Site 41 with a paved pad and electric. We were across from the shower house and bathrooms. The office is closed but a staff person was on site. Our site was perfect for us with trees on either side to help with shade. Across our site was also a big green space to walk our dogs. Not all the electric sites have shade especially if you are up top. The lower electric is much better however some of the sites hardly have a space for tents and would be better for a camper. Lots of places to hike and a lake to kayak or canoe. There’s a big playground for the kids as well. The tent only sites are a little less desirable as they are all downhill and mostly uneven. They have flush toilets and sinks but you’d have to come up to the main campground to shower. Pick your site wisely!

Great spot for getting prepared for zaleski and going kayaking

Several campsites are on a slope so this calls for being creative with placement of tent.
Firewood available for purchase on site. Lake Hope lodge provides great warm and dry spot for delicious food.

Several activities available, fishing available anywhere on the lake, kayak rental for $10 and good size lake.

Very clean pit toliets and running water available dispersed throughout the park. Several hiking trails, zaleski is nearby, hocking hills is 30 minutes away. Moonville tunnel and iron furnace in the area.

Nice hiking and bike trails

It was a beautiful area, with lots of activities and close to restaurants and stores. My complaint was with the campground. The sites were very close together and the noise level at night was unbelievable. The people beside us was drinking and being very loud up until after 11:30. Was not happy with the campground at all. Would definitely go back to spend the day but will never camp there again.