the dyrt
Beech Fork Lake, WEST VIRGINIA
Most Recent Beech Fork Lake Camping Reviews
Quiet and beautiful

The campground has some really nice sites. Most are pretty level, but bring some blocks just in case. Some of the campsites are shaded and some are directly in the sun (18, 19, 21, 22, & 23). There was one (20) that you parked on beside the road and had to go down stairs to get to your picnic table and fire pit. We stayed on 15 at the end of a loop, kind of secluded. I definitely liked the loop that had sites 1 thru 15. Ours was further from the shower house (which was clean and typical of a state park), but there was a flushing bathroom at the end of the loop for our use. Nice hiking trails and beautiful scenery. There was a boat in campground closer to the lake. The trails led down to the lake at spots. The boat ramp was just a short drive over the hill and easy access. Fishing was great. We caught catfish, bass, bluegill, and crappie. Hosts were wonderful. We camped in a tent, but will return in our camper next summer.

Still our favorite in KY

Great sites, clean bath houses, and awesome lake and marina.

Something for everyone

The campground and general area is beautiful with a welcoming vibe. It can get a little crowded in the campground at certain times due to holidays but it's not hard to lose the crowd. Everyone is always extremely kind and treat you like family. The list of activities is almost endless……. boating, fishing and anything else you can do on the lake, trails in every direction, secluded spots on and off the lake for picnics, camping or whatever, stargazing, pool, wildlife everywhere, games and general activities at the campground, community center, dam, parks, and it's really close to town in case you want to check it out. Make sure you check out the Jenny Wiley theater if you can, they are beyond talented.

KOA

We stayed for an overnight. Site was NOT very level. On gravel. Picnic tables and fire ring. Didn't appreciate the grill in the next site (thought it was too close to us). We were in Site #8. Not sure what all is around here. Easy off and on to I-64 - far enough from highway so you don't hear it.

Roadside

Its called roadside for reason. It ok for 1 or 2 nights. The bathrooms locked at night no showers. It is on river nice playground and across street from restraints and stores

Good Campground

Greenbo is a good campground that we’ve come to years, and over the last few it keeps getting better. Bathhouses are clean and maintained really well, good selection of primitive, electric and water, and full hook up sites. A nice lake for fishing, trails and a nice lodge with good food.

So-so, "roughing it" at different levels ... but be prepared for anything!

I lived in the Dewey Lake-JWSP area with family members, until 2002. Currently, I live about 10-15 minutes away from JWSP and visit the park at least once a month, depending on the weather. If you want to mix up your trip besides going camping or doing any recreational activities: Jenny Wiley Theater, mid June-early August, Outdoor Theater, (kinda like Summer Stock); Theme or special dinners at the Lodge, (mostly on weekends), year round; the community/ state park swimming pool is currently being "refurbished" and will be reopening, (hopefully) in Summer 2019. And, speaking of recreation, you can "hit the links" at the Stone Crest Golf Course, nearby.

But, as for other recreational activities: there's bike riding, hiking, boating: recreational, travel, kayaking and fishing types. If you want to do any horseback riding, you have to bring your own horse and gear, but contact the JWSP office first on where you can ride your horse. Better yet, you can take about a 30 minute drive from the Lodge to the German Bridge Campground area up Cow Creek, which is also in the Dewey Lake area, Contact the Dewey Lake US Army Corps of Engineers for more details, (in other words, Google it). Plus, there are picnic shelters in different areas of JWSP, some of them right next to Dewey Lake.

Now, as for camping, you have 3 type choices… #1. reserving a cabin near the Lodge, (and Dewey's, the local "watering hole"), kinda like "glamping", but it's rougher. (BTW, this area and the Lodge are the best places for getting a cell phone signal). #2. RV (Recreational Vehicle) Camping. There is a RV camping site not far from where I used to live, but from my personal experience, call the JWSP office at least 2 weeks in advance before the date you plan to use the site to see if there is going to be anything available on the dates you want, before making your reservation. First come, first served! #3. A. There are tent campsites next to Dewey Lake in various areas around the lake accessible by boat only, which are overseen by the Corps of Engineers, contact them or the JWSP office. Best place in my opinion: Campsite near the Dewey Dam/ Spillway Area. B. Other Outdoor Camping: Contact the Corps of Engineers or the Park Ranger's at JWSP. If you want to see some wildlife also, contact the local KY State Fish & Wildlife office that handles JWSP and Dewey Lake.

But there's some stuff I've learned over the years living and camping in this area, that I think you must know, some of this you might have run into on other camping trips at other parks…

1. DO NOT DRINK THE WATER FROM THIS LAKE… AND DON'T SWIM IN IT EITHER!
  2. FISH AT YOUR OWN RISK,,, CATCH & RELEASE! (Personally, I'd go to a pay lake).
  3. FCC LICENCE 2-WAY EMERGENCY RADIO (I prefer the Motorola ones, (white & red, also has a NOAA Weather Radio and FM Radio), you can get a brand new one for between $40-$60. The FCC Licence is currently $70, the feds do a background check on you, if you get the licence, it lasts 10 years).
  4. BEAR MACE - A BIG CAN OF IT! Not only do you have the Black Bears to deal with, you have the Coyotes too!
  5. IF YOU ARE AT A LAKESIDE CAMPING SITE, HAVE A LIFE JACKET ON AT ALL TIMES! You might fall into the water by accident or you may have to jump into the lake at night in case of emergency!

And last, but not least…

6. DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE A MOTORBOAT! NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES ON THE BOAT! EVERY PERSON ON BOARD MUST BE WEARING A LIFE JACKET! The Fish & Wildlife officers do surprise checks on the recreational boats to see if the rules are being followed… if they aren't following the rules… you may have to pay a fine and/or do some time!

Close to home

I have stayed at this park numerous times, in tents and camper. The history of the area is really interesting and if you're lucky enough to talk with the park manager he'll be happy to give you a little house coal history. I've heard rumor however that the park is losing funding. Great hiking and biking trails. Loved going through the creek!

Quiet country setting close to town

Kanawha State Forest is a great place close enough to town if you need something but situated in a nice quiet country setting surrounded by a beautiful forest. Camping offers electric and water at most sites with a couple nice bathhouses. Each site has a picnic table and fire pit. There is a public pool with reasonable rates and great food, small areas to fish, a free shooting range and tons of hiking trails. There is a horse stable but we did not visit it. The kids loved wading and rafting in the creek and the playground areas.

Enjoyed our stay

Park was nice, clean and has friendly staff. We liked that we could walk to the bathrooms and not have to drive there. We stayed at site 100 and really enjoyed the shade trees. Showers are small but they work and there are only 3 stalls of toilets and 3 showers ( I believe) in the women’s side- unsure of men’s. Plenty to do, including a playground, pool, miniature golf, bike riding, horse back riding, hiking, etc. All sites have a picnic table and a grate over the fire pit. Water wells are easily accessible and they have washers and dryers as well. Check-in location was a bit confusing but eventually figured it out.

awesome

great place to camp and kayak. must camp 150ft from the trail. no cell service.beautiful park

hidden jewel

on the hill! this park was great. it was rainy so they moved us to this great spot on the hill. nice bathhouse even though not clean at the time. it is isolated with tight hairpin turn so I wouldn't recommend anything over 28'. they have a nice target range and trails

Beautiful, close to home

KSF is absolutely gorgeous! Whether you are taking a day trip for hiking or staying a few days, it is absolutely one of my favorite places to be.

Clean

Very clean and private campsites

One of our favorites

This is our favorite campground, it’s small, quiet, very clean and site are not crammed together.

Excellent Campground

Very clean campground, the marina is great and easy access to the lake. We kayak and it was great being that close to the lake and the campsites have plenty of room.

Great!

Most of the sites shaded and separated by trees. Love the privacy this provides. Our favorite “close to home campground”!

Needs Help

State park that needs a lot of TLC.

Beautiful Campground

Love this place!

good campground

something for everyone ,rv to tent camping…also cabins and a lodge is available for reservations. great dinning at lodge. wonderful hiking trails…And cave tours.

Lovely valley surrounded by mountians

This campground offers a handful of trails easy to moderate. Pretty lake with ducks everywhere, as well as geese. Saw many deer through out our stay, even some beaters. Bathhouse is nice and laundry one spot. Oh and it was butterfly maiting season. There is also a creek that runs along the nature trail, which is a super shot walk, that was perfect for walking through or wading in the water. Although the further you get up steam from the lake the cleaner it gets, and bring water shoes there was a decent amount of glass.

By far my favorite place I've ever stayed at

Kanawha state forest campgrounds are top on my list of where I have stayed in the past. Tucked away in the middle of the mountains, surrounded by the constant reminder of wildlife around. I stayed for the very start of spring. The world was covered in the brightest green moss. The state park is not allowed to clear fallen trees unless they are in a road way or hazardous, this left many mossy green logs to lay across the mountains. This time of year was also perfect for the many overlook trails offered. Every single trail was more than what we expected. The staff members were extremely nice and accommodating. As long as you don't mind about being away from your cell reception during your stay, this place is highly recommened

June 25, 2018

Set up in drizzle around 5pm as first night of x country trip. SIte was small, narrow between road and small creek but had electrIc and water. Camp host came by and checked us in and was very nIce. Not bad for an over nIght, and a nIce walk In the woods before we left In the morning. good showers and quIet.

Quiet family oriented
  • Beautiful area of Kentucky Nice trails and great kayaking
Family Favorite - perfect weekend trip

My family and I love this campground and usually camp here a few times a year. There are always plenty of great spaces, we have never stayed at a spot that we didn't like. Spots are a good size and clean. The spots on the lake are our favorites, but are usually first to fill up. You won't be far from the lake wherever your spot is. The full hookup spots are in my opinion most crowded. I prefer the sites as you drive further into the park. Great for bike riding and lake activities. The land is flat and there are plenty of low traffic areas to ride. Boat rental fees are reasonable, you can travel to the marina for some boats but paddle boats and canoe rentals are within walking distance of your site. Some hiking is available also. The bathrooms are almost always clean and I have rarely had to wait for a shower. Pool is a decent size and discounted for campers. The camp store is usually well stocked with essentials that you don't want to go into town for, but town isn't so far away that it is impossible to get to anything. There is also a game room and a nice restroom in the lodge. Riding bikes here and hanging out on the edge of the lake is our favorite thing to do here though. They also have lots of organized activities for families.

Beautiful Scenery

Camper/RV sites are smaller than we are accustomed to. We thoroughly enjoyed the pools, hiking, and cave tours. All staff is incredibly thoughtful and polite. Bathrooms were clean.

No shower houses or flushing toilets Electric only sites

Great place

The campground hosts Bill and Gina are top notch. The facility is clean. There is stuff for your kids to do.