Mount Alto , WEST VIRGINIA

Most Recent Mount Alto Camping Reviews
Winter Visit

We stopped here on Thanksgiving on our way South. Self paying, off season was $15. But the restrooms were closed. There were only 3 other sides occupied. Nice little campground in the Appalachian Foothills. Be aware that Google maps doesn't send you to the campground but to a parking lot at the Lake (25 min detour). So make sure you follow the State Park signs.

Good place to camp

We like to camp in this cozy campground

Good campground

Just a big campground with full hook up.

Small sites, very close

Super small campground with one road in/same road out. Check-out time created quite the backup.

The sites were too short for my camper, which is odd because when booking I indicated the length of my camper. I had to back in camper, drop it, move truck, hook camper back up and finish backing in to site. Pulling out was the reverse of this.

A smaller camper would fit perfect right next to the creek at the end of the road. The lake is nice too with a small island.

Members only club

Super nice and built up. Great pool!!!

Clean

Nice

Small

But okay

Very wet in the spring, but a challenging backpacking loop

This campground is nice.  They are all designated campsites but they are first-come-first serve. They are hike-to only.

It is great for hiking and backpacking camping but if you are looking for car style camping, this is not it.

The trail is challenging terrain, especially when backpacking.  It can be very wet and muddy in the spring (or after any rains), so be prepared for that.

The road to it is difficult also (as are most with dispersed camping).

There are no amenities except for an outhouse in the parking lot.

This is pack in/pack out.

Free Free

I don’t have a lot to add to the other reviews, yes, it’s very close to a roadway and train tracks, but it’s free!

Free one night

The customer service people at cabelas were awesome. They gave treats to my dog, helped me find things and gave me the code to the dump station! Stayed there one night with no problems at all. Although lots of trucks coming and going during the night and parked around. Code they gave me is 2387 not sure if that helps since the dumping price is $5. Tip: get there early because trucks take the place