Gala , VIRGINIA

Most Recent Gala Camping Reviews
Great location!

This campground has full-hookup sites, tent-only sites, and some hip camp sites as well. We tent camped here in January at a full hook-up site so we could have heaters in the tent. During the summer we would definitely choose one of the tent only sites because they have more privacy and are more so in the trees. Site 23 is a pull-through site. It was super cold and windy (it snowed while we were there!) and being out in the open like that is not ideal but it was ok for what it was! We set up close to the electric outlets and didn't have any issues with that. This campground is so fun! There are trails in the campground a beautiful view of the mountains all around. It is really in the best location. You are in walking distance to Devils Backbone and Blue Frog Cidery and a short drive to Wintergreen Resort, awesome restaurants, amazing hiking, and so many places on the Brew Ridge Trail. I can guess that during the summer this place is probably very busy but in the middle of winter it was pretty quiet! The bathrooms are nice and new looking but really far away from the RV sites, so keep that in mind. Fire wood was available for a fee. Self check-in to the sites because of COVID and masks are required in bathrooms. Reservations required if you want to eat or drink at Devils Backbone Restaurant and Brewery :)

Quiet and a great getaway

I was the only one here on a Saturday night. Very quiet and it was great to have the place to myself. I took advantage of the trails in the morning. It was pretty muddy even though it was in the low 30s so wear applicable footwear. The stars were amazing! There was plenty of wood scattered about to use as firewood.

Only stayed one night due to complications with my cooking stove, but I'll be back.

Great time!

Kids had a blast. Great place, lots of fun!

Amazing!

This place is amazing for primitive camping. Good trails to hike and overland

Good brews and hiking

Second time I camped there. First time during COVID restrictions. Self check in to the sites. Very clean bathrooms and a lot of firewood available for purchase. Under the COVID restrictions, the brewery requires reservations for dining in the restaurant (both in and outdoors) during peak times, or you can order out. Beer must be called in for curb side pick up. Crabtree Falls and Spy Rock Hiking trails within a 20-30 minute drive.

Peaceful

We stayed here for 2 nights during the week and it was very quiet and peaceful. The rate for our 22 foot RV with full hookups was unbeatable. AJ, the owner, was great from the day we called to make our reservation to the day we checked out. Our site was up on the ridge close to the road but we could still hear and see the river of the falls from our site. The sound of the water was so soothing. The RV site could be a challenge to get her in and out of if you have a bigger trailer but we did well with our crew can Tundra and 22 footer. We didn't like being right next to the road when we'd first got to the site but soon realized that the road was not well traveled so there was no noticeable road noise and our kids are old enough to understand not to go up to the road. While I didn't personally use the bathhouse one of my fellow travelers did and gave it a 5 star, I'd poop here again, rating. The actual park with the falls was a short trip up the road 1/2 mile and a beautiful hike. We had two dogs plus our kids with us to hike it which was a mistake. Dogs were hard to manage in this trail with two kids as the rocks are slippery and there wasn't a railing on all of the hike for the littles to hold on to, narrow trail. We can't wait to revisit in the summer with hopes to splash in the river.

Family Fall Camping Trip

We had a great weekend with the whole family! There was a carnival for the kids, trick-or-treating, hiking, tons of bike riding, campfire watching, hammock swinging, laughing, loving, and hanging out! We had a campsite with electric and water close to the bathhouse which is great because we have a popup camper with no bathroom and six kids. There were plenty of decorations for Halloween and the kids had a super time. Great for families. There are also a couple of playgrounds, two bouncy pads, basketball court, and gaga ball. During peak season there is also a water play area with a waterslide and mini golf. It is located on the James River. We had a great time.

I'm giving it 5 stars but it was a disappointment

I'm sure this is an amazing campsite, but it was a little to rustic for my liking. There is no cell service within 30 miles, so for an outsider who doesn't know the area, it was difficult to find the campsite. You also better bring everything you need beforehand. There are no grocery stores anywhere near the campsite and we didn't have any food with us. The firewood is unbundled and there are no showers. We ended up not staying here because we were not prepared. It is nice that each campsite has a stone "oven" as a fire pit and a trash can on site.

Beautiful lakes

There are big loop and small loop hiking trails close by.

Gorgeous views

Great, long sites. Fire rings are placed a little weird but it’s all doable. Views are gorgeous, very mountainous. Camp host was a little strict and not the friendliest (especially for a brewery campground). There are several places to camp, tent area, RV area and HipCamp. All were well taken care of. Bathrooms were clean. On site trails are a little rinky, but it’s all close to the Appalachian Trail so no biggie. Dump station was very well taken care of. On site firewood available. Grocery store within 10 minutes.

COVID restrictions made things tough to go to the onsite brewery but there were PLENTY more in the area to visit. We walked to the Blue Toad Cidery across the street and it was unbelievable. Great views and the owner was so friendly. Other breweries we visited were fun and exciting.

We went in the middle of October and it was packed everywhere we went- apple season, I think? We will definitely return but maybe at a less busy time of year.