About Smith Mountain Lake
Hike In
Smith Mountain Lake is located in Virginia
16 Reviews of Smith Mountain Lake
Well maintained

The park itself is well maintained. Bath houses were clean. Tent sites are really close together. A little overpriced for what you’re getting compared to other areas in my opinion.

Wonderful!

Such a cool spot. Boats and tubes available for rent at the marina. Great RV sites. Lots of different trails and opportunities for nature hikes. Park puts on a lot of activities as well. We always have a great time here. We usually come in September. The road getting down to the lake area can be a little tight with an RV or boat so just stay mindful of those folks, especially if you’re driving one yourself. 🌀

Beautiful Area

I would highly recommend staying at the State Park! don’t go cheap and go with another campsite. that state park has amazing views, awesome trails, and places to rent kayaks, canoes, and paddle boards.

Rate it 5 stars very well maintained, has perfect waters to swim, boat,fish

Perfect clean clear water to fish,swim

Little Piece of Heaven

We went off season in March of 2018. It was the perfect time to go as it was still "wintery", but had days of mild weather to allow for hiking. The lake is huge and allows for boating and fishing. There's a beach that you can swim from. They have several cabins that are well maintained and clean. We stayed in a cabin. But, we also checked out the tent camping pads. I would not recommend for camping with a tent as the sites are stacked on top of each other offering little to no privacy. The RV/camper sites might be better. I can't say for sure as I don't rv camp. The cabins were phenomenal. They offer a clean and basic setup with a wood stove. The exterior has a porch/deck, grill, firepit, and picnic table. Some of the cabins backup to the lake. The cabins are spread so that their is ample space between them offering privacy. Beautifully maintained, the park was pristine. The visitor center is large and offers education, camp store, literature. I am going back!

Wooded campground with lake perks

This is our favorite campground in the Roanoke area. The campsites are roomy, although some are definitely more private than others. The tent (non-electric, non-hookups) sites are at the back in their own section. They are the farthest from the bathhouse, but also the most private.

Tent sites have a deep bedding of fine crushed stone. All sites include a picnic table and fire ring. Firewood is there to purchase. It will burn very quickly and we usually need several bundles in just one night.

Price to camp is very reasonable, especially if you consider that you get a beach pass for both the day you arrive and the next day. For a family of 3 or more, it's actually cheaper to reserve a camping spot than to just come for the day to swim. Get reservations in the peak summer months. The campground is often full.

There are also several hiking trails, but they aren't terribly long or difficult. Good if you have smaller children.

The camp hosts have been hit or miss through the years. There are no rangers on site after hours.

Semi private campsites

These campsites are close enough to the showers/restrooms without compromising all of your privacy. Sites are close enough to meet the neighbors though. Sites are nice and have room for parking. During the day, the state park offers trails and a beach area to swim, kayak or canoe.

Beautiful park

I just stopped in for the day and did some hiking. Loved that I could see water from almost every trail. The black locusts were in bloom which smelled wonderful. Park was pristine and the lake views simply gorgeous. Granted, I visited off season when I had the trails to myself. But, I’d go again despite the season.