the dyrt
George Washington & Jefferson National Forest, VIRGINIA
Most Recent George Washington & Jefferson National Forest Camping Reviews
Suitable for a weekend

Stayed here for 2 nights to be near our son at Virginia Tech plus we try to tour as many cavers as possible. Its an old campground but that's not always a bad thing. Could hear traffic because we were right under it. Toured Dixie Caverns. Unless you can climb 30 flights of stairs best not to go. Not that interesting. Like climbing a silo and climbing down the other side. But able to check off another one. Its an experience!

Secluded Riverside campsite

Tucked away by the river past Thurmond. Great secluded sites. Trailhead for hiking from camp. A bit of a drive to visit any of the sites around New River but worth it to be away from it all. 6 sites all walk-in first come first serve. We were there in fall so no crowds at all. primitive, beautiful, and, a hidden gem

Not Great Tent Camping

This campground is mainly for RVs, tent camping here is not the best. With that being said it is one of the only campgrounds that is actually on Summersville lake which makes it nice for easy access to the lake and cliffs. It is also a super popular campground so reserve ahead of time to make sure you’re guaranteed a spot at one of the 110 campsites. They also have seven walk-in primitive camping sites that are nice but still fill up quickly on weekends. They have a bath house with flush toilets, water spigots, laundry, and a dumping station. Because this is on the lake you can dock your boat at their own docks right off of your site- which is also convenient.

While the lake does allow power boating, kayaks and paddle boarding are still very popular as this is an immense 2790-acre lake. It is one of the clearest lakes in the east, so scuba diving is also very popular here. Rock climbing is also a great use of these cliffs that surround the lake as well as cliff jumping, this is at your own risk as there are large rocks/boulders in the water below. However, you will notice most locals know where the best swimming and jumping are. Overall, great place to come and explore.

nice little AT shelter

I stayed at this AT shelter when I was doing a section hike with some friends. It's not bad as far as shelters on the AT go. There is not a water source too close to the shelter. The closest one is about 3 miles North. The sites aren't bad though, pretty flat. There is also a wooden shelter maintained by the AT, but those aren't my favorite to sleep in. Seemed nice as far as they go though.

I was hiking a little section that includes Mcafee Knob, one of the most photographed spots on the AT. This spot is really awesome. It can also just be done as a day hike, so I recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind a 8ish mile hike. Another cool thing about this area is that there's some fairly nice bouldering to be found near the top. Some of the routes are a little under maintained and mossy, but there are some fun ones. Lugging a crash pad all the way to the top isn't the most fun, but worth it if you want to get some cool bouldering in.

Beautiful lake, large sites

It’s out of the way but the roads are good and it’s worth the trip. Huge sites, nice bathrooms, hot water, beautiful lake.

Good times

Had a great time. Staff friendly, tubing fun.

Awesome first night

It has tent and RV camping. The managers are really nice and you’re not that far way from several attractions. Some really great beer places close by as well. Nice a shady too. I’d like to go back and do some exploring around the area. Just be careful with what gps app you use. Mine took me an interesting route that ended in someone’s drive way.

Nice campground - great for climbers especially!

This is a very well thought out campground and is a great option for climbers visiting the area. each site has a wooden tent platform (10'x10') to set up on, which is a huge plus since the ground is so uneven throughout. Each site has a picnic table and a parking space as well.

There aren't group sites available, but whoever in our group was organizing managed to get multiple sites next to each other, which was nice.

We ended up doing all of our cooking and eating in the big covered communal porch on the shower house with lights and big kitchen sinks for cleaning up as it was a very rainy weekend. It's handy to be able to cut through from the lower to the upper sites on little foot trails to get to the common areas.

Showers are quarter operated but I was too much of a cheapskate to partake. But the facilities were clean!

Great Camp Close To Many Historic Sites - Targeted For RVs

I was traveling in this area and was really excited to have found that there is a town called Austinville where Stephen F Austin, a founder of Texas, originated. While driving out to the monument in his honor I found this site and loved what I saw!

Highway access to this area is easy for all types of traveler. there are several stores in the area with just about anything you could need or want only moments away from camp and if you are there in late summer when I was, the sun rises are amazing!!!!

So what is the catch?? Well they don't accept tents!!! NOOOOOO!! I didn't find a single thing about that online when I checked their site following finding out this knowledge, however I did like this site enough to still give them a positive review because they were so nice, their facility was ample and their proximity itself.

In fact, they were so nice they gave me a tour of the campground even though I couldn't stay and gave me some great info about places around me which led me to another campground that served me perfect, a tent campground nearby.

This site has a very nice restroom with multiple sinks, a large laundry room perfect for a camper who is on the road for a while like myself. I noticed there was a very nice pool which is heated, allowing it to be open much longer than many campgrounds in the area. There is a large pet area and also playground and several hiking areas in the direct area which all looked nice.

Nearby are numerous state parks as a part of the New River Trail including the Shot Tower Historical Site which is a very short distance away. In addition, people often come here to watch the birds and deer, which are very relaxing.

Should I return with an RV I also inquired about the rates which are reasonable at $35 for standard hook ups and they do have weekly rates also. I did notice what appeared to be a few long term campers but their areas still looked kept and maintained.

TIPS:

• Call in advance if you will be arriving late in the evening. The management lives on property and will make arrangements to meet you.
  • Take advantage of the historic Wrythesville walking tour, you can get information about this in the office and it is WELL WORTH IT!!
Relaxing area

Plum Orchard Lake is a wildlife management area with rustic tent and camper sites. You do need to obtain a permit from the manager. This is a beautiful area with plenty of fishing and hiking areas within a 20 mile radius or so. The trees are a beautiful array of color - greens, reds and yellows. The lake is good for swimming but you’re welcome to bring your boat, kayak or canoe too. We took a couple day trips around too. We were able to see deer, raccoons and some nice looking birds.

Wonderfu Campground,Cabins & Cabin Area

My family stayed in a cabin last week in this state forest and checked out the campground. Our cabin was charming and immaculate! The very large bathroom had amazing white towels all folded and hung over towel bars like a nice hotel. The kitchen was very well equipped. Each bed had sheets, a very soft wool blanket, and a quilt and nice pillows. The cabin had a fireplace for heat (free firewood) and two AC units (bedroom/living room) and a ceiling fan in the LR. The cabin area is so beautiful! While there are 14 cabins, they are spread out enough that you don’t feel like they’re too close. Most are under trees. Each cabin has a grill and a fire pit, and there at least three larger ‘community’ fire pits trough the cabin area. Our cabin and others are pet friendly!!! The only issue with the cabin was the beds. They were both very uncomfortable. One was a new fold out couch.

The campground was very wooded and seemed at first to be more like most rustic campgrounds in appearance, but it does, in fact, have electric at some sites. There are pull through sites, camper/tent sites and tent only sites. It’s beautiful, and I hope to camp there this fall!

There are many hiking trails throughout the park and a nice pool. The cabin and camping areas are pretty far from the pool area. Guests in either area would more than likely drive to the pool.

This state forest is within five minutes or so from a four lane highway (64) and several restaurants (Subway, Wendy’s, McDonald’s and a privately owned one) and gas stations. A Food Lion grocery store is about 15 minutes away in White Sulfur Springs, and there’s a hospital about 15 min away in Lewisburg, recently voted the Coolest Small Town in America! While this forest is very close to convenient amenities, we still felt away from the hustle and bustle of life.

Gorgeous views

This campground is situated on gorgeous Summersville Lake! It has all you could ask for in a campground including RV and tent sites, bathhouses with showers, dump facilities for RVs, and the most beautiful clear lake water!!! No loud noises after 10pm makes it ideal! We had a tent site with a fire pit and picnic table on a point of land surrounded by water! We didn't fish much but the swimming was incredible!

Top of the world

beautiful mountain top camping at Ace! peaceful, spacious and unmatched scenery. hiking trails all over the mountain and a fun water park a the end. waterpark is a bit overpriced but fun none the less.

definitely recommend - shower houses are clean and have good water pressure!

Nicely kept RV spots. Conveniently located bath house. We got sites right next to our friends where we wanted to be. The lake and beach area were beautiful. Sand was soft and very clean. Free entrance to the beach while staying at the campground which is nice. We would definitely stay again if we were passing through.

Serene with amazing views

I stayed here for 1 night. It was the perfect resting stop on my road trip to the Smoky Mountains. I stayed on campground 1 on a lake side site with access to the lake, the views from my tent were breathtaking! The campground is clean, it has shower and flushable toilets. The camp host sells firewood. The campground is quiet and provides a lot of privacy. The lake beach is within walking distance from campground 1, with picnic tables and a pavilion. There is also a small dock where you can fish. Loves this place, will definitely come back.

A little too close for my comfort.

Pulled in here an hour after closing and was a little spooked. Very small campground, maybe 50 sites in all. Even after calling to reserve, we were left to just choose a site and drop off the money. Sites were tight.

Mountain Lake

Mountain Lake Campground is one of my favorite places to stay. The staff at the office are all super nice and helpful. We always stay in a wooded camp site that's just private enough, but not too far from anything you could need. During October, they do really fun Halloween stuff for the kids, too!

Clean has many thing to do. Clean water, paddle boats wide variety of campi

Small beach head but is clean easily handycap accessible, park is cover a large area which can be hiked or driven, narrow country roads.had a fantastic time

Very woodsy, great camping area lovely river,water cafa

Many trails to hike well maintained.great place for the 4th of july

Great campsite need 4x4

Nice campground outside Bland, VA. The road up needs a 4x4. Nice vault toilets and a hand pump water. There are 5 sites at this location.

Babcock in July

Great Campground! It was quiet, clean, and there is so much to do in the park - hiking, mountain biking and there is really good paddling and climbing nearby.

It’s just off Highway I-81 Swimming pool Wi-Fi and cable

Fort Chiswell RV park in Virginia is a very clean park beautiful trees paved driveways and a bathroom that is very clean and at the end of the bathrooms actually have tables at Pavilion They have Wi-Fi they also have cable TV so that was nice to have the extras while camping we camped there for four days and it was very nice the people are extremely nice

Quiet and park-like camping and with many adventures during the day.

The Mountain Top Campground was quite nice. Most of the sites have shade but if it had been crowded there’s a few that don’t have any. The trees were great for hammocks! They have a picnic bench, fire ring and garbage can at each site.

There were six private bathrooms with showers in each, one was handicap accessible. They have an outside “kitchen” sink by bathrooms for filling up water and washing dishes. We brought our own gear but they do have sites with tents already set up.

Lastly, the Adventures they have available are many. The main one is the Lake with multiple giant anchored inflatables to play on for all ages. Others include white water rafting (day trips and overnighters), ziplines, mud course, biking and more.

We had a blast at the lake and rafting! Beautiful area as well.

Blowing Springs Campground

I have enjoyed this campground 2 years in a row now, going for a week over July 4th each year. It is perfect for what we wanted… a primitive campground with large sites and access to the water (creek- for floating and baths, haha). Vault toilets, no lights, no sinks/showers. Take your own TP, they've been hit and miss for keeping the bathroom stocked. For water, we walk across the street from the entrance, and back in the woods there's a pipe coming out of the rocks with super cold, fresh water. Takes some effort hauling your water containers, but so worth it. Much of the week there were only 2 other sites occupied, until closer to the 4th when a lot of locals came in. Everyone was extremely friendly, but they did stay up late being quite loud. Overall it's a peaceful location if you're looking to unplug for awhile. If you're looking for lots of amenities, this is not your place!

Fun resort with activities for everyone

Such a fun place to stay! The sites are up on top of a mountain side, so you will need a dependable vehicle to get up to your site. They are nice sites, providing a picnic table and fire ring. Nearby are showers and restrooms. They have individual rooms that can be locked that has the restroom in with the shower stall. Lots of biking and equestrian trails available. On the campground there is disc golf and then a lake for swimming that has the huge inflatable courses on it (think like the game show wipeout) you can buy a day pass for a reasonable price to play on them all day. Through the campground you can go whitewater rafting and zip lining. We had a blast going whitewater rafting. The staff there is so freindly and nice. Hope we get the chance to go again some day! Near by is a beautiful hiking trail that is a must! It's called the Endless Wall Trail, it's a 2.4 mile loop that follows along the New River Gorge about halfway through it is a diamond peak, a spot that offers breath taking views of the Gorge. This trails has lots of lots and stones so make sure you wear proper footwear. Another pretty spot is Canyon Rim Boardwalk, it has lots of steps to get to but it's a very pretty overlook!

Wonderful Little RV Park

Just a wonderful small RV park in rural West Virginia. We needed to stay overnight and Ann was terrific in finding us a spot to stay in. Great hospitality and reasonable prices for the spots. Absolutely gorgeous views across the pastures and hills. As we were leaving in the morning Ann mentioned we should come down the road to her little shop in the adjacent lot to the RV park. It was a Saturday and we were just driving another 4 hours so we stopped down there. Cute little shop, fresh strawberry jam canned. It was almost lunch so we (Me, wife, and our five kids) had pulled pork sandwiches, hot dogs, and soda pop. Some of the best pulled pork and slaw I've had! Can't speak highly enough of this little RV park

Great place for retreat

Just off I-77, but the interstate is barely audible from this great no-frills campground.

peaceful

long path along river, very beautiful area

Well maintained, helpful staff, fun activities

My Scout troop has travelled here twice from NJ on the way to Girl Scout Jamboree. We love it here! Great staff, well maintained camping area, lots of amenities, clean facilities (showers with lots of hot water). In the woods, but near enough to civilization (pizza). We will definitely stay here again!