Equestrian
About Pedernales Falls

Flowing over and around huge slabs of limestone, the Pedernales River can be turbulent. But most often it is tranquil, and a great place to relax and recharge. We are just 30 miles west of Austin. Come over for an afternoon swim or hike, or load up your gear for an overnight adventure. The river awaits!

Choose a site with water and electricity or hike to a primitive site. Bring your group to the Youth Group Camp or Equestrian Group Camp.

Hike In
Pedernales Falls is located in Texas
Directions
2585 Park Road 6026, Johnson City, TX 78636
58 Reviews of Pedernales Falls
Such a beautiful spot!

This park is truly amazing. The sites are mostly big and there is lots of privacy. The water is absolutely gorgeous and so refreshing in this texas heat. I can’t recommend this park enough- it is gorgeous!

Great hikes, NO cell reception!

Tent camped 14JUL20, 1 night.

First, it was 108 the day I camped, in a tent, with no AC! (I did have a fan though.)

I 👏🏽 love 👏🏽 this 👏🏽 park👏🏽!! Hiked about 12 miles of trails and every one had a payoff. I could have spent a week hiking that park if I had time.

The sites are HUGE and have cool features like retaining walls. Not a lot of trees though but I barely noticed until I remembered I suffer from cedar fever, (went to school at UT.) Thought I had the COVID as I left until I remembered I camped under a cedar tree, haha.

BE WARNED, there is zero cell coverage once you get into the park. Might not be an issue for some but I had to drive up to the ranger station a couple times to let my wife know i was okay.

The water was low when I was there but it was clear and cool and absolutely beautiful.

This park exemplifies the Texas Hill Country!

I’ll be back soon.

Great hiking in the Texas Hill Country

This state park might have got its name from the waterfalls, but it has A LOT of hiking trails as well. It has trails for all levels, but most of them are somewhat long (depending on your definition of a long hike).

We like the park because of the mix of both water and trails. It really gives you a way to connect with nature and escape the city. There is even a trail that requires you to cross the river to walk the whole thing. It's called the Trammel Trail Crossing. But its a long one, so be ready for some walking.

Park is well kept. Bathrooms didn't always have handsoap, so make you bring something if you can. And maybe a few bugs in the corners of the restrooms and showers, but you are camping so bugs naturally come with the territory.

All in all, we love this park.

Wildlife galore

We highly recommend this state park! With many hiking trails, views and options for camping , you won’t be disappointed. We stayed in the RV area and made friends with armadillos, dung beetles, a fox, deer and a raccoon! Easily accessed the swimming portion of the river and relaxed all weekend. A quick drive to the falls trail head led to so much to explore! Staff was courteous and informative and we will be back! Currently they’re booked for the next three months so act fast!

High country living

This beautiful park is just miles away from my home.

Camping, river play and over 20 geocaching sites make it a great place to wind down.

Where my heart finds peace

This park is hands down my most favorite. Living only 15 minutes away from the park makes getting their super easy. The river that runs through this park is remarkably clear. During the summer time it is a popular spot to cool off. In the fall though it is nice and quiet with warm water. The early mornings are the best!

Peace and beauty

This is one of my favorite Texas state parks. The hiking trails are great, campsites and facilities are well maintained, and the scenery is beautiful.

Cliffside Camping

We went camping over memorial weekend at Pedernales Falls. We did the primitive camping. This was some of the best TEXAS camping we've done. We found a really nice spot that was on the cliffside and had an incredible view of the hill country. It was isolated enough from other campsites. We saw deer in the morning in the grassy area next to our tent. We also found a path down to the river that was close by.

Good hiking.

This is not one of our favorites but we like to hike and the views are great.  They have some drive thru campsites for anyone that’s new to backing an RV.  There is not much shade and they have some repair areas.  The swimming area is good for small children but not really that big.  It’s far from Johnson City or Austin so it’s best to take supplies with you.

Great for a day trip

Family loved playing in the river and hiking. Great place for families with small children. Park staff was amazingly helpful.