About McKinney Falls State Park
$20.00 - $24.00
McKinney Falls State Park is located in Texas
46 Reviews of McKinney Falls State Park
Close, clean, fun

McKinney Falls is close to where I live. Have been here many times for camping as well as just a day trip. Always enjoy this park.

Great place to hang, great location, great water features

Camped here a long time ago, so this is my recollection.  First get your reservations as they are a must.  This place is close to Austin, so it gets crowded.  The water here is fun and pretty, great flat hikes over pitted and scoured rocks.  Snapping turtles in the water. Camp sites are nice, flat dirt with plenty of big oaks all around, fire pits, tables, and lantern holders provided.  Nice spacing and all kinds of rigs can fit in here.  I don’t recall that they have hookups.   Bird watching is great here.  All around a great state park.  Reason for four stars:  the park is being surrounded, literally, by urban development, and when hiking on the trails you often can come right up to it.  So the tranquility of the area is impacted.  Come here for a bit of nature, with easy access to services.  Don’t expect to be out in the middle of nowhere.  We came with a 35 foot fifth wheel and loved our site.  Would definitely come again if in the area.

Pretty park - popular too!

This state park is a little outside of Austin near the airport. The park stays busy and it’s easy to see why– it’s really nice with waterfalls you can check out in the park and it isn’t far from the airport. We had a great stay here and will definitely check it out again if in the area. Although– watch the branches if you are in a bigger rig– we watched a guy hit one and mess up his roof. Also, if you will be camping in Texas State Parks a bit be sure to get the annual Texas State Parks pass– it will end up saving you a lot of money! Also, we went to a nearby market to buy what we thought was salsa(see pictures)– it definitely wasn’t and it was sooo spicy!!

Good Experience

Make sure the water level is up, during my second visit to this park the water was low and not moving. The water was nasty in some spots due to stagnant water. However, beautiful when the water level is normal or up and Plenty of good hiking trails as well.

Nice little forest in the city

Great campground within miles of downtown Austin.  Two scenic waterfalls for frolicking in warm weather camping.  Many tree ringed rv sites for privacy. Well marked hiking trails and grills for day use.

Nice trails, fantastic wildflowers

The wildflowers are fantastic when this park is in bloom. The trails are great as is the scenery. The facilities are well maintained.

Great shady campground.

This is a state park.  It is pretty big and has good campsites.   Most of the campsites have shade and all have a picnic table and fire pit.   My husband likes to fish and he enjoys the fishing spots.  The park has a great place to go swimming.  We also like it because it’s close to Austin.

Beautiful water

I put three stars because I haven't had the chance to camp here yet. I will come back with an updated review. I have gone on day hikes here and it's super cool. There are some historical sites and the water is beautiful. You can swim under the falls and in the creek/river.

Overall very good

The trails, picnic areas, swimming, and other attractions are amazing. The upper falls are easy to get to and quite refreshing. My two biggest problems come from not very many access points to the trails from the camping areas and the tent pad being made of crushed granite.

I’d highly suggest finding a camping site with a flat grassy area and using that instead.

Awesome when the falls have water

When it hasn’t been raining in Austin, the best part of this park, it’s name sake, isn’t on display. But still a freaking amazing place to camp in nature, but still be in city limits! Its crazy, but you can hike during the day and catch a movie at night (what a friend and I personally did). Nice trails. Definitely a place you have to try.