About Lake Houston Wilderness Park
Municipal
Hike In
Lake Houston Wilderness Park is located in Texas
7 Reviews of Lake Houston Wilderness Park
I had a great time, can't say the same for my son

I had a fantastic time  but I can't say the same for my son.  He never been camping before, loves X-Box….

Disappointed

Well we called and called to make reservations but no answer or call back. Noticed the visitors center we closed on Tuesdays, but there ding said the front gate entry was open till 6pm Sunday through Thursday so figured a Tuesday would be safe to find the spot. Got there and the gates are locked, no self pay because it's on the other side of the gate. I guess they are completely closed down on tuesdays. Very disappointed. Have a meeting in Houston in the morning. Had to get a hotel.

Really Nice Cabins

I have stayed in the cabins here four or five times. The first two years we had smaller groups so we stayed in the A Frame cabins. The last three years we've had their biggest one. There is a creek that runs through it and it is never over populated while I've been here. The cabin we've used was flooded and has not been rebuilt so we are looking for other places to hold our Spring Camp out. I hope they rebuild.

easy backpacking camp sites

There are 4 primitive hike in/out campsites that are a 1 - 2 mile deep. It’s a mostly shaded hike with gorgeous views of the river, woods and swamp areas. These campsites do not have running water, showers or bathrooms.

Love It!

This park is just a short drive from Houston yet feels like you are in the middle of nowhere. It has various types of camping spots in different parts of the park and great hiking trails through varying terrain. Definitely one of my top picks near Houston.

Lake Houston Wilderness Park

Stayed here twice with scouts, both times we explored the trails and peach creek. Lots of wildlife in this park, saw many snakes in camp and on the trails. Made it halfway down the Ameri-trail which was clean and easily marked.

Houston oasis

Lots to explore, neat bridges, cabin options, ranger programs, horse trails,kayaking, wildlife. Modern recently updated facilities. Great park staff and everyone real friendly. Lovely trees & waterways, really does feel like wilderness, would come back.