Sam Houston National Forest, TEXAS

Camping Texas Sam Houston National Forest
Most Recent Sam Houston National Forest Camping Reviews
Thousand Trails

This is the best Thousand Trails we have been to in Texas so far! They have the best and the cleanest bathroom/showers I have ever seen. The pool is large clean and great furniture! They have tennis, pickle ball, basketball, mini golf and beach volleyball. The only thing I did not care for is the pull thru RV sites are really close together! This is a must visit park!

Nudist Resort

Nice clean rooms. The RV parking is tricky because of all the trees.

I had a great time, can't say the same for my son

I had a fantastic time  but I can't say the same for my son.  He never been camping before, loves X-Box….

Great Campground!

This is the same as the “Indian Village Campground” also listed on the map. This is a great place. My family has been camping here in tents, RVs and cabins for more than 15 years. Some fairly recent upgrades to the bathrooms and showers have made it much nicer! We’ve always had a good time here and made lots of happy memories! Staff is very friendly.

Great park with great programs!

Great park with great programs! Had such a fun time as a family here! Gator program, Pond-life exploration program, guided hikes, bird watching, etc! So fun! Also, virtually no mosquitoes, due to the prevalent BeautyBerry plants!

Great place to stay!

We’ve stayed here quite a few times. Love the lakefront sites. Clean bathrooms and showers. This park is closed to the general public on weekends, so even if it is filled with campers, things are usually pretty calm and quiet.

Great place

Great and relaxing place and great activities and things to do with the kiddos

Beautiful state park

Beautiful state park with lots to do. MTB, kayaking, hiking, swimming, etc

Fun Stay!

Great campground with clean bathrooms and roomy sites!

Great sites on the water with top MTN bike trails.

I spend a lot of time here. Great facilities.

Poorly maintained - a little creepy

Muddy roads out to the site which were difficult to manage in a small passenger car. Campsite itself had a spooky vibe, seemed overgrown and poorly maintained. We arrived after dark and camped in a tent but neither of us slept well. I think they had a lot of rain because even the loop around the campground had big potholes full of water. In the morning we noticed the place was trashed. It might not be bad for campers and rvs but I don’t recommend tent camping.

Great Park

We love this State Park close to home and a Beautiful Park with great views of the lake

Just a hop from Houston to beautiful nature

Lake Livingston State Park is one of our regular visits. During the school year it is hard to head out on a Friday, drive 2-3 hours and then setup in the dark for a weekend camping trip. Lake Livingston is just over an hour from our house and has lots to offer. They recently rebuilt one of the camping loops to where now this is one of the few state parks in Texas that have Full Hookups. Not all loops have Full Hookups but a couple do.

Like most state parks in Texas the sites here are large and offer a lot of shade. Each site will have a table and a fire ring. There are tons of hiking trails and geocaches throughout the park. It is also close to shops in town so that if you forget something you are only about 15 minutes from a Walmart. There is a shop on site that has most of the essentials.

Wonderful park just minutes from Houston

We love this park because we can be at it in just over an hour from Houston. It makes it a great weekend camping choice. The RV sites are water and electric only. Some of the sites are level but some need some serious leveling work to be done. One of the sites we stayed at required 4 blocks on one side to level it. That will test a marriage :-P. Most of the sites are very shaded which really helps during the summer.

There are miles of trails and several geocaches throughout the park. Which will give hours of entertainment. There is wildlife all over the place. We have a couple food buckets that we keep chips etc in outside so the kids don’t have to go in and out of the camper to get. I have woken up to footprints on the bucket so the raccoons were obviously trying to figure out how to get to the goodies. The park also will run a couple of events per day with the rangers for education. As you can see from the pictures that I am posting there are horseback riding activities but that costs extra. Also, we have heard rumors that the company that did it has pulled out of the park. I hope not because that is something we typically did as my girls really love doing it.

Great park

Just a hop, skip, and jump from Houston, but a piney gem. Great trails, super camping, and wildlife galore.

Camping

Good place to stay while fishing and boating.

Great time

We had a great time at this park we camped w a buddy in his camper and the site we had was huge. There were tons of trees and very shaded. There is a huge lake w a boat ramp and pier. There are tons of trails you can get lost on. We walked many miles. There are restrooms and showers. The site had full hookups as well.

Nice park for the whole family

I took the whole family for a weekend getaway. We loved the park, it was our first time tent camping here and it did not disappoint. It has a swimming area, trails, fishing, and playgrounds. The park was very nice and clean, the showers had door! We will definitely come back.

Tent Camping Fun 🏕

This was our first trip with our kiddos in tent and we cannot wait to go back!! Site 146 was amazing!!

Sad broken down campground.

This used to be a great place to camp but it's not kept up. Hot tub didn't work, hot water didn't work and staff lies to you. Find somewhere else to go.

Peaceful and remote

Wonderful camp grounds nestled in Sam Houston National Forest. Old school drop box style. First come, first serve. Make sure you have cash. Water access throughout the sites, each camp site has table, fire ring with a cooking grate and tent pad. Clean bathrooms with jot showers on timers. Access to an inlet of Lake Conroe. Hiking trails. Not much breeze due to the thick forest, so perfect for fall and spring camping.

Lake side camping at its best

Beautiful site overlooking the lake. My only wish would have been cleaner bathrooms.

Great camping

Clean camping site on the Trinity with a cable 2.0 for wakeboarding. Great atmosphere and helpful staff. We enjoy our time here.

Worst KOA ever!

Park has a ton of amenities and is quite nice. Unfortunately, they feel no need to clean the bathrooms. We have been here for three days and are disgusted and will be leaving early. We love KOA and are in shock!

Great place to get away!

Double Lake Recreation Area is located in the Sam Houston National Forest. We stayed at a primitive site with water and bathrooms conveniently located nearby. Most of the campers were quiet here. Seemed like more a family crowd.

Fishing, hiking, paddling, and mountain biking galore! Several trails including a paved trail go around the lake. Dogs are allowed in the park and on the trails. Dogs must be leashed at all times and are not allowed on the beach.

One of my favorites!

This place is magical. My family and I have been coming here for the past 5 years, and it never gets old. There are so many great things about this place. The hiking is amazing- the views are breathtaking. One of the most popular things to do here though is to fish. One of the reasons is because Lake Livingston is one of the largest lakes in the State. This park is just an hour away from Houston, which is great. We have made a long weekend out of staying here, and then traveling to Houston to do some site-seeing and eating, and then head back home. You can do so many different water activities because the lake is so big. We bring our boat and fish, tube, and water ski. We have a blast. I also love bringing my stand up paddle board and do a ride in the early in the morning. There are so many beautiful birds to see in the morning on the water, I love it. There is also store nearby that you can rent kayaks and canoes to take on the water, not sure how much they are to rent, though. I look forward to coming here every year, and it seems like I experience something new every time! Again, this place is pure magic.

I really enjoied it

I like that it was quiet and the office managment were very kind. They also were very mindful if you had a problem.

What you'll need to know....

You’ll find Huntsville State Park six miles southwest of Huntsville, TX in Walker County in the Sam Houston National Forest. Huntsville State Park has over 20 miles of trails to explore along with a pretty great lake to fish, paddle or swim. Fish for crappie, perch, catfish, or bass. Lake Raven also has a boat ramp, fishing piers, and fish cleaning stations. Bring your own canoe or rent one from the little supply store. The supply store also has miscellaneous supplies and bait for purchase.

Campsites are spaced modestly except those in the full hookup loop. If you are looking for full hookups, book in advanced as those are in high demand at this location. All sites have a two-day minimum on Friday and Saturday.

Available sites:

• Full hookup campsites - pull-through, picnic table, fire ring, water hookup, lantern post, restrooms & showers nearby 20/30/50-amp hookup
  • Electric sites - picnic table, fire ring, water hookup, lantern post, restrooms & showers nearby 20/30/50-amp electric hook up
  • Campsites with water - picnic table, fire ring, water hookup, lantern post, & restrooms & showers nearby
Lots of people but nice canoeing lake

Campsites are close together and there were a lot of people around. It was pretty loud with music and people later into the night. Canoeing was good on the lake and good mountain biking trails.