Sam Houston National Forest, TEXAS
Camping Texas Sam Houston National Forest
Most Recent Sam Houston National Forest Camping Reviews
Great sites on the water with top MTN bike trails.

I spend a lot of time here. Great facilities.

Poorly maintained - a little creepy

Muddy roads out to the site which were difficult to manage in a small passenger car. Campsite itself had a spooky vibe, seemed overgrown and poorly maintained. We arrived after dark and camped in a tent but neither of us slept well. I think they had a lot of rain because even the loop around the campground had big potholes full of water. In the morning we noticed the place was trashed. It might not be bad for campers and rvs but I don’t recommend tent camping.

Great Park

We love this State Park close to home and a Beautiful Park with great views of the lake

Just a hop from Houston to beautiful nature

Lake Livingston State Park is one of our regular visits. During the school year it is hard to head out on a Friday, drive 2-3 hours and then setup in the dark for a weekend camping trip. Lake Livingston is just over an hour from our house and has lots to offer. They recently rebuilt one of the camping loops to where now this is one of the few state parks in Texas that have Full Hookups. Not all loops have Full Hookups but a couple do.

Like most state parks in Texas the sites here are large and offer a lot of shade. Each site will have a table and a fire ring. There are tons of hiking trails and geocaches throughout the park. It is also close to shops in town so that if you forget something you are only about 15 minutes from a Walmart. There is a shop on site that has most of the essentials.

Wonderful park just minutes from Houston

We love this park because we can be at it in just over an hour from Houston. It makes it a great weekend camping choice. The RV sites are water and electric only. Some of the sites are level but some need some serious leveling work to be done. One of the sites we stayed at required 4 blocks on one side to level it. That will test a marriage :-P. Most of the sites are very shaded which really helps during the summer.

There are miles of trails and several geocaches throughout the park. Which will give hours of entertainment. There is wildlife all over the place. We have a couple food buckets that we keep chips etc in outside so the kids don’t have to go in and out of the camper to get. I have woken up to footprints on the bucket so the raccoons were obviously trying to figure out how to get to the goodies. The park also will run a couple of events per day with the rangers for education. As you can see from the pictures that I am posting there are horseback riding activities but that costs extra. Also, we have heard rumors that the company that did it has pulled out of the park. I hope not because that is something we typically did as my girls really love doing it.

Great park

Just a hop, skip, and jump from Houston, but a piney gem. Great trails, super camping, and wildlife galore.

Camping

Good place to stay while fishing and boating.

Great time

We had a great time at this park we camped w a buddy in his camper and the site we had was huge. There were tons of trees and very shaded. There is a huge lake w a boat ramp and pier. There are tons of trails you can get lost on. We walked many miles. There are restrooms and showers. The site had full hookups as well.

Nice park for the whole family

I took the whole family for a weekend getaway. We loved the park, it was our first time tent camping here and it did not disappoint. It has a swimming area, trails, fishing, and playgrounds. The park was very nice and clean, the showers had door! We will definitely come back.

Tent Camping Fun 🏕

This was our first trip with our kiddos in tent and we cannot wait to go back!! Site 146 was amazing!!

Sad broken down campground.

This used to be a great place to camp but it's not kept up. Hot tub didn't work, hot water didn't work and staff lies to you. Find somewhere else to go.

Peaceful and remote

Wonderful camp grounds nestled in Sam Houston National Forest. Old school drop box style. First come, first serve. Make sure you have cash. Water access throughout the sites, each camp site has table, fire ring with a cooking grate and tent pad. Clean bathrooms with jot showers on timers. Access to an inlet of Lake Conroe. Hiking trails. Not much breeze due to the thick forest, so perfect for fall and spring camping.

Lake side camping at its best

Beautiful site overlooking the lake. My only wish would have been cleaner bathrooms.

Great camping

Clean camping site on the Trinity with a cable 2.0 for wakeboarding. Great atmosphere and helpful staff. We enjoy our time here.

Worst KOA ever!

Park has a ton of amenities and is quite nice. Unfortunately, they feel no need to clean the bathrooms. We have been here for three days and are disgusted and will be leaving early. We love KOA and are in shock!

Great place to get away!

Double Lake Recreation Area is located in the Sam Houston National Forest. We stayed at a primitive site with water and bathrooms conveniently located nearby. Most of the campers were quiet here. Seemed like more a family crowd.

Fishing, hiking, paddling, and mountain biking galore! Several trails including a paved trail go around the lake. Dogs are allowed in the park and on the trails. Dogs must be leashed at all times and are not allowed on the beach.

One of my favorites!

This place is magical. My family and I have been coming here for the past 5 years, and it never gets old. There are so many great things about this place. The hiking is amazing- the views are breathtaking. One of the most popular things to do here though is to fish. One of the reasons is because Lake Livingston is one of the largest lakes in the State. This park is just an hour away from Houston, which is great. We have made a long weekend out of staying here, and then traveling to Houston to do some site-seeing and eating, and then head back home. You can do so many different water activities because the lake is so big. We bring our boat and fish, tube, and water ski. We have a blast. I also love bringing my stand up paddle board and do a ride in the early in the morning. There are so many beautiful birds to see in the morning on the water, I love it. There is also store nearby that you can rent kayaks and canoes to take on the water, not sure how much they are to rent, though. I look forward to coming here every year, and it seems like I experience something new every time! Again, this place is pure magic.

I really enjoied it

I like that it was quiet and the office managment were very kind. They also were very mindful if you had a problem.

What you'll need to know....

You’ll find Huntsville State Park six miles southwest of Huntsville, TX in Walker County in the Sam Houston National Forest. Huntsville State Park has over 20 miles of trails to explore along with a pretty great lake to fish, paddle or swim. Fish for crappie, perch, catfish, or bass. Lake Raven also has a boat ramp, fishing piers, and fish cleaning stations. Bring your own canoe or rent one from the little supply store. The supply store also has miscellaneous supplies and bait for purchase.

Campsites are spaced modestly except those in the full hookup loop. If you are looking for full hookups, book in advanced as those are in high demand at this location. All sites have a two-day minimum on Friday and Saturday.

Available sites:

• Full hookup campsites - pull-through, picnic table, fire ring, water hookup, lantern post, restrooms & showers nearby 20/30/50-amp hookup
  • Electric sites - picnic table, fire ring, water hookup, lantern post, restrooms & showers nearby 20/30/50-amp electric hook up
  • Campsites with water - picnic table, fire ring, water hookup, lantern post, & restrooms & showers nearby
Lots of people but nice canoeing lake

Campsites are close together and there were a lot of people around. It was pretty loud with music and people later into the night. Canoeing was good on the lake and good mountain biking trails.

Wonderful setting and very clean. One of our favorites

If you want to enjoy a wonderful lake front getaway this is the park for you. Some spots are right on the water and the atmosphere is wonderful. They have a guarded gate and cute store in the park. The bathroom/showers are very clean and well kept. Do not worry about the month you decide to go, as there are plenty of trees. Also features a playground and designated swimming area. Fun!

Like a piece of the northern woods, with alligators

There is good fishing in the lake (it's a popular place to fish, but I haven't personally fished there). The picnic area and day use area are full of large trees. Area is well maintained, and didn't feel like a short day trip from Houston!

Hiking haven with birding bonanza!

Wonderful trails. Clear and well marked. Primitive (water only) tent sites on lakeshore side leave the camper hunting flat surfaces while avoiding runoff pathways. However the dip shields you from stormy winds. Be ready to share the park. Lots of day trippers enjoy this piece of bliss so close to Houston. Trails are marked for foot and bicycle travel. Birdwatchers bring your glasses and journals, you will not be disappointed.

No camping

No tent camping

Disappointed

Well we called and called to make reservations but no answer or call back. Noticed the visitors center we closed on Tuesdays, but there ding said the front gate entry was open till 6pm Sunday through Thursday so figured a Tuesday would be safe to find the spot. Got there and the gates are locked, no self pay because it's on the other side of the gate. I guess they are completely closed down on tuesdays. Very disappointed. Have a meeting in Houston in the morning. Had to get a hotel.

A long unforgiving slog through mud.

My son and I went in mid-November, so your experience will vary depending on time of year.

The LSHT is the longest hiking trail in the state. It is broken up into sections. We started at Section 1, which is the easternmost portion, hiking east-west. Each section has a trailhead with a parking lot. We hiked all of Section 1 and half of Section 2. Each of the 2 sections was about 8 miles long. The length of the LSHT is about 130 miles.

Zero amenities. No restrooms. No electricity. No cell coverage. Nada. The LSHT is in the Sam Houston National Forest, about an hour north of Houston. So it’s not a "campground," per se, but you can camp anywhere that’s feasible. We just didn’t find very many feasible places to camp. There is a lot of dense undergrowth along the trail portion we hiked. And mud. Lots and lots of mud. It had been raining a lot in the preceding weeks. I’d call the ranger office and ask about trail conditions and what the weather's been like if I were you. I hope you have a good pair of waterproof boots.

We found a decent spot about 4 miles in, set up our hammocks, and had a good night's rest. The first day's hike was great - plenty of sunshine, cool but not cold, few mosquitoes. It got cold within a couple hours after sunset. I’m glad I brought my underquilt, sleeping bag, and blanket. I’m also glad I brought an extra pair of warm socks, flannel pajama bottoms, and a sock cap. My hiking clothes were soaked with sweat, so changing out of them was essential for a good night's sleep. Well, I don’t actually sleep on these trips. I doze off and on. Anyway, there were no big surprises during the night. The sound of insects. Leaves and branches falling. Coyotes howling in the distance. But nothing scary or annoying. It was very pleasant.

The original plan was to hike both sections, so we parked my son's pickup at Trailhead 6 and drove back to Trailhead 1 to park my Jeep and start the hike. The plan was solid as long as we started early in the day and could average 2 miles an hour. But we wound up starting out late in the day and did I mention the mud? There was a lot of mud. And obstacles to cross. And creeks to cross. And mud. And more mud. Lots and lots of mud. So we were only able to do 4 miles before we had to find a place to camp. Otherwise, we'd be hiking in the dark.

So the morning of day 2, we packed our gear and trudged on as quickly as we could. We had about 12 miles to cover. It seemed doable at the time. But the weather changed. It got considerably cooler and overcast and rainy. It wasn’t constant, and it was never a downpour. But it was 50s and damp. Drizzly. We trudged on for about another 8 miles and decided to leave the trail at Trailhead 4 and hit the pavement, for fear that we'd again run out of daylight somewhere between Trailheads 4 and 6.

My advice? Do your homework. Read up in the LSHT. Peruse the website http://lonestartrail.org and buy the book. Prepare for a long slog through mud. I’m glad I took a hammock because there weren’t many places suitable for tent camping. Take plenty of water and a water purifier because there is no potable water available on the sections we hiked. Two people in 2 separate vehicles is a must unless you’re a thru-hiker or just want to hike a bit and hike back to your car. It’s mostly flat with no steep ups and downs, rock climbing, or anything like that. But there were quite a few creek crossings that required going down into a gully and up the other side. I did mention the mud, right?

Camping Stubblefield

There are 29 campsites which include a tent pad, picnic table, and a trash pole. Water is available throighout the camp ground. The campground has two public bath houses with hot showers. It is well maintained by volunteer hosts working with the Sam Houston National Forest. The Lone Star Hiking Trail connects at the south side of the park. The east side of the park borders Stubblefield Lake. The adjacent Sam Houston National Foredt offers hunting, Trails for ATV, horse back. and motorcyle use. There no RV hook ups. Spaces will accomodate RV up tp 20 Ft in length, but they must be self contained. No reservations are allowed; first come only.

Really Nice Cabins

I have stayed in the cabins here four or five times. The first two years we had smaller groups so we stayed in the A Frame cabins. The last three years we've had their biggest one. There is a creek that runs through it and it is never over populated while I've been here. The cabin we've used was flooded and has not been rebuilt so we are looking for other places to hold our Spring Camp out. I hope they rebuild.

Great Outdoor Experience

I camp here twice yearly, most years. In early to mid October and usually late April to early May. I love the shelters by the lake, the ability to rent canoes, the trees and the park employees keep it up really well. There are multiple level trail hikes and last May I finally completed one. I intend on doing that again, while I am there, this coming weekend. It is a lovely park! Lots of campsites, RV spots, shelters, there is just one basic cabin at this time, a swimming area, store and so much more.