Sam Houston National Forest, TEXAS
Most Recent Sam Houston National Forest Camping Reviews
Lake side camping at its best

Beautiful site overlooking the lake. My only wish would have been cleaner bathrooms.

Great camping

Clean camping site on the Trinity with a cable 2.0 for wakeboarding. Great atmosphere and helpful staff. We enjoy our time here.

Worst KOA ever!

Park has a ton of amenities and is quite nice. Unfortunately, they feel no need to clean the bathrooms. We have been here for three days and are disgusted and will be leaving early. We love KOA and are in shock!

Great place to get away!

Double Lake Recreation Area is located in the Sam Houston National Forest. We stayed at a primitive site with water and bathrooms conveniently located nearby. Most of the campers were quiet here. Seemed like more a family crowd.

Fishing, hiking, paddling, and mountain biking galore! Several trails including a paved trail go around the lake. Dogs are allowed in the park and on the trails. Dogs must be leashed at all times and are not allowed on the beach.

One of my favorites!

This place is magical. My family and I have been coming here for the past 5 years, and it never gets old. There are so many great things about this place. The hiking is amazing- the views are breathtaking. One of the most popular things to do here though is to fish. One of the reasons is because Lake Livingston is one of the largest lakes in the State. This park is just an hour away from Houston, which is great. We have made a long weekend out of staying here, and then traveling to Houston to do some site-seeing and eating, and then head back home. You can do so many different water activities because the lake is so big. We bring our boat and fish, tube, and water ski. We have a blast. I also love bringing my stand up paddle board and do a ride in the early in the morning. There are so many beautiful birds to see in the morning on the water, I love it. There is also store nearby that you can rent kayaks and canoes to take on the water, not sure how much they are to rent, though. I look forward to coming here every year, and it seems like I experience something new every time! Again, this place is pure magic.

I really enjoied it

I like that it was quiet and the office managment were very kind. They also were very mindful if you had a problem.

What you'll need to know....

You’ll find Huntsville State Park six miles southwest of Huntsville, TX in Walker County in the Sam Houston National Forest. Huntsville State Park has over 20 miles of trails to explore along with a pretty great lake to fish, paddle or swim. Fish for crappie, perch, catfish, or bass. Lake Raven also has a boat ramp, fishing piers, and fish cleaning stations. Bring your own canoe or rent one from the little supply store. The supply store also has miscellaneous supplies and bait for purchase.

Campsites are spaced modestly except those in the full hookup loop. If you are looking for full hookups, book in advanced as those are in high demand at this location. All sites have a two-day minimum on Friday and Saturday.

Available sites:

• Full hookup campsites - pull-through, picnic table, fire ring, water hookup, lantern post, restrooms & showers nearby 20/30/50-amp hookup
  • Electric sites - picnic table, fire ring, water hookup, lantern post, restrooms & showers nearby 20/30/50-amp electric hook up
  • Campsites with water - picnic table, fire ring, water hookup, lantern post, & restrooms & showers nearby
Lots of people but nice canoeing lake

Campsites are close together and there were a lot of people around. It was pretty loud with music and people later into the night. Canoeing was good on the lake and good mountain biking trails.

Wonderful setting and very clean. One of our favorites

If you want to enjoy a wonderful lake front getaway this is the park for you. Some spots are right on the water and the atmosphere is wonderful. They have a guarded gate and cute store in the park. The bathroom/showers are very clean and well kept. Do not worry about the month you decide to go, as there are plenty of trees. Also features a playground and designated swimming area. Fun!

Like a piece of the northern woods, with alligators

There is good fishing in the lake (it's a popular place to fish, but I haven't personally fished there). The picnic area and day use area are full of large trees. Area is well maintained, and didn't feel like a short day trip from Houston!

Hiking haven with birding bonanza!

Wonderful trails. Clear and well marked. Primitive (water only) tent sites on lakeshore side leave the camper hunting flat surfaces while avoiding runoff pathways. However the dip shields you from stormy winds. Be ready to share the park. Lots of day trippers enjoy this piece of bliss so close to Houston. Trails are marked for foot and bicycle travel. Birdwatchers bring your glasses and journals, you will not be disappointed.

No camping

No tent camping

Disappointed

Well we called and called to make reservations but no answer or call back. Noticed the visitors center we closed on Tuesdays, but there ding said the front gate entry was open till 6pm Sunday through Thursday so figured a Tuesday would be safe to find the spot. Got there and the gates are locked, no self pay because it's on the other side of the gate. I guess they are completely closed down on tuesdays. Very disappointed. Have a meeting in Houston in the morning. Had to get a hotel.

A long unforgiving slog through mud.

My son and I went in mid-November, so your experience will vary depending on time of year.

The LSHT is the longest hiking trail in the state. It is broken up into sections. We started at Section 1, which is the easternmost portion, hiking east-west. Each section has a trailhead with a parking lot. We hiked all of Section 1 and half of Section 2. Each of the 2 sections was about 8 miles long. The length of the LSHT is about 130 miles.

Zero amenities. No restrooms. No electricity. No cell coverage. Nada. The LSHT is in the Sam Houston National Forest, about an hour north of Houston. So it’s not a "campground," per se, but you can camp anywhere that’s feasible. We just didn’t find very many feasible places to camp. There is a lot of dense undergrowth along the trail portion we hiked. And mud. Lots and lots of mud. It had been raining a lot in the preceding weeks. I’d call the ranger office and ask about trail conditions and what the weather's been like if I were you. I hope you have a good pair of waterproof boots.

We found a decent spot about 4 miles in, set up our hammocks, and had a good night's rest. The first day's hike was great - plenty of sunshine, cool but not cold, few mosquitoes. It got cold within a couple hours after sunset. I’m glad I brought my underquilt, sleeping bag, and blanket. I’m also glad I brought an extra pair of warm socks, flannel pajama bottoms, and a sock cap. My hiking clothes were soaked with sweat, so changing out of them was essential for a good night's sleep. Well, I don’t actually sleep on these trips. I doze off and on. Anyway, there were no big surprises during the night. The sound of insects. Leaves and branches falling. Coyotes howling in the distance. But nothing scary or annoying. It was very pleasant.

The original plan was to hike both sections, so we parked my son's pickup at Trailhead 6 and drove back to Trailhead 1 to park my Jeep and start the hike. The plan was solid as long as we started early in the day and could average 2 miles an hour. But we wound up starting out late in the day and did I mention the mud? There was a lot of mud. And obstacles to cross. And creeks to cross. And mud. And more mud. Lots and lots of mud. So we were only able to do 4 miles before we had to find a place to camp. Otherwise, we'd be hiking in the dark.

So the morning of day 2, we packed our gear and trudged on as quickly as we could. We had about 12 miles to cover. It seemed doable at the time. But the weather changed. It got considerably cooler and overcast and rainy. It wasn’t constant, and it was never a downpour. But it was 50s and damp. Drizzly. We trudged on for about another 8 miles and decided to leave the trail at Trailhead 4 and hit the pavement, for fear that we'd again run out of daylight somewhere between Trailheads 4 and 6.

My advice? Do your homework. Read up in the LSHT. Peruse the website http://lonestartrail.org and buy the book. Prepare for a long slog through mud. I’m glad I took a hammock because there weren’t many places suitable for tent camping. Take plenty of water and a water purifier because there is no potable water available on the sections we hiked. Two people in 2 separate vehicles is a must unless you’re a thru-hiker or just want to hike a bit and hike back to your car. It’s mostly flat with no steep ups and downs, rock climbing, or anything like that. But there were quite a few creek crossings that required going down into a gully and up the other side. I did mention the mud, right?

Camping Stubblefield

There are 29 campsites which include a tent pad, picnic table, and a trash pole. Water is available throighout the camp ground. The campground has two public bath houses with hot showers. It is well maintained by volunteer hosts working with the Sam Houston National Forest. The Lone Star Hiking Trail connects at the south side of the park. The east side of the park borders Stubblefield Lake. The adjacent Sam Houston National Foredt offers hunting, Trails for ATV, horse back. and motorcyle use. There no RV hook ups. Spaces will accomodate RV up tp 20 Ft in length, but they must be self contained. No reservations are allowed; first come only.

Really Nice Cabins

I have stayed in the cabins here four or five times. The first two years we had smaller groups so we stayed in the A Frame cabins. The last three years we've had their biggest one. There is a creek that runs through it and it is never over populated while I've been here. The cabin we've used was flooded and has not been rebuilt so we are looking for other places to hold our Spring Camp out. I hope they rebuild.

Great Outdoor Experience

I camp here twice yearly, most years. In early to mid October and usually late April to early May. I love the shelters by the lake, the ability to rent canoes, the trees and the park employees keep it up really well. There are multiple level trail hikes and last May I finally completed one. I intend on doing that again, while I am there, this coming weekend. It is a lovely park! Lots of campsites, RV spots, shelters, there is just one basic cabin at this time, a swimming area, store and so much more.

LSHT

Great place to camp along the LSHT! They have bathrooms but not much else. If you are hiking during hunting season, Kelly's Pond Road Hunter Camp is a designated primitive site!!! It is located at mile 14.3 on the Lone Star Hiking Trail, plus an extra 1.2 miles to the East for Kelly's Pond with bathrooms, if you are hiking from Western Terminus to Eastern Terminus.

For LSHT thru-hikers

This is a designated primitive camp located on the Lone Star Trail. This camp is located about a mile from LSHT Trailhead #13. It is at mile 83.5 if you are traveling from the Western to Eastern Terminus in the Sam Houston National Forest and is about 100 years East off of the actual trail itself. It is a primitive campsite with no amenities other than a place to sleep. During hunting season (September 26 – January 8) camping in Sam Houston National Forest is restricted to only developed campgrounds, designated hunter camps, or designated primitive camps. This is an optional campground for the LSHT all year long! THERE IS NO POTABLE WATER HERE.

Best for LSHT thru-hikers

This is a designated primitive camp located on the Lone Star Trail. It is at mile 75.7 if you are traveling from the Western Terminus to the Eastern Terminus and about 2 miles from LSHT Trailhead # 11. It is a primitive campsite with no amenities other than a place to sleep.

Best campsite in Sam Houston National Forest!!!

Sam Houston National Forest is my absolute favorite. There is so much to do there, plus the longest foot trail in Texas (Lone Star trail) resides here. This campsite is located on the Eastern side of the forest and it very close to the Eastern Terminus of the Lone Star trail ( trailhead #15).

Double Lake is the campsite that has it all. Plus there is a lake, or two, where you can fish, boat, and swim. There are lots of bike and hiking trails, along with off roading vehicle trails. The scenery is amazing. I love to go hiking early in the morning as all of the wildlife begins to rise. The sounds and views are some of the best in the state.

The facilities are kept very clean and the staff is always to kind and helpful. Some of the trails were closed the last time I visited but the park rangers were very helpful in helping me navigate. There are tent sites, group tent sites and RV sites available to reserve, which you can easily reserve online. My favorite tent site, that I try to get every time is site # 28. It is easily accessible, off by itself, and still close enough to the bathrooms. I like it because it has quite a bit of room, lots of tree cover ( which is nice when it rains, or in the summer) and it has some character to it.

There is a ranger station at the entrance of this site, but be aware they are closed on the weekend. They have a little drop box and fill out sheet is you come on the weekends, but make sure to download a map of the trails and park beforehand, because the maps are never stocked and there likely won't be one. If you don't have one, there is usually a ranger driving around on a golf cart you can ask.

Make sure you hike the double lake trail. It is about 9 miles long with a very easy footpath, but the views and stillness of the forest make it worth it. The trailhead is between the lake and bathrooms after entering, but be aware it is also a bike trail and can get muddy after a good rail.

There is a fee to enter. If you have a National Park pass it is free and it is twenty dollars a night. Please visit this park!!

Huntsville Texas tent camping March, 2018

We took our family here on a Texas state park camping trip. The park rangers explain basics of camping. It was a great experience for our family. The park is very family friendly and tent friendly. It is on a lake that has fishing, kayaking and paddle boats. The facilities were nice and clean.

Quiet and pleasant/Friendly squirrels

Full hook up sites are nice. No swimming allowed but I did launch my paddle board from the site. I also saw some campers launching their kayaks and fishing. Our site had a big drop off from the asphalt pad and the picnic table was a long way from the pad. We were a short walk from the bathroom. Park hosts make it a point to drive by and say hi. They also offered firewood for free, if we wanted it.

Large camping spaces

The camping space I had was very large with water access for my Kayak. The camping was a little noisy with some neighbors playing music but at least they were enjoying it. There's a lot of trails to hike and smooth roads for bike riding. There's a designated swimming area and canoes that can be rented. I will say its pretty hot camping in August.

quiet

This campground is out in the middle of nowhere! it’s very quiet and nice but if you go in the summer be prepared to be hot! Restrooms aren’t close but sites are close to the river for fishing! Colorado bend state park is close by for a day trip and sites are also cheaper here and more readily available than there.

Best place ever

This is my favorite place to camp and ride the trails. Smooth and fast are the best way to describe them.

Best camping around.

This park offer a little of everything and a whole lot of fun. Camping, Hiking, cycling, and fishing are just a few of the activities offered here.

Nice National Forest Campground

Very nice, heavily-shaded water/electric campsites.

Some of the best camp hosts you’ll ever meet, and access to the north end of Lake Conroe to boot.

A Little Bit of Pine Forest Heaven

Located on the west edge of the east Texas piney woods, this state park features excellent RV and tent camping facilities, and a beautiful network of heavily forested trails. The lake offers canoeing, kayaking, swimming and fishing, and affords visitors an occasional glimpse of alligators. We love this place.

Bring an RV

Love the trails but man not a single site is level so be prepared to level your RV and if you are in a tent I would never recommend it. we drove around to all the sites thinking maybe it was just our area but nope all are uneven. We went into town to buy more scissor jacks to help level us. Never had that problem at any other State Park