Standard (Tent/RV)
50 amp Hookups
Max Length: 50 ft.
Game Lodge Campground is located in South Dakota
16 Reviews of Game Lodge Campground
Close to nature and so MANY things to do!

This may be one of our favorite all time sites! We were at Game Lodge campground site 36, which was right next to a little creek. At night, we could hear the water running and it was so calming. Tent pads were elevated, so our REI Kingdom 8 garage had to run off the edge. Even so, it was the perfect spot for us as we explored the Black Hills. I have heard all the campgrounds in Custer are very nice, however.

Camped with two boys, age 4 and 2.5. Loved that the bison were just outside our campground on the way in and the visitor center just across the road was beautiful!

Activities included:

Wind Cave Tour, Wildlife Loop drive, Needles Highway, Chuckwagon Dinner, Mt Rushmore, and more.

Playground at site was a bit further for us, but the kids walked there anyway.

Wonderful campground!

We loved our time at this campground!! The sites are well spaced with lots of grass and some have lots of trees. Some of the sites are along a beautiful creek. The front of the campground has a great area for fishing, well stocked with trout. There was wildlife in sight quite often, You could access the wildlife loop road just outside the entrance to the campground. The bath houses were great! They were very clean and well appointed. We would go back again!!

Can’t give this enough stars.

One of my favorite places to camp. Hands down.

Accessible to the State park itself. Hiking. Animal watching. History. Lots of updates have been done to the park as a whole too.

Plus Wind cave, jewel cave and Mt Rushmore are all right there.

Lakes. Kayaking. Hiking. Pigtail bridges/tunnels. Great views. Buffalo. Would love to go see the round up. Wild mules, elk prairie dogs too.

Waldrug. The Badlands are both a 90 min drive away but make a day out of it.

Game Lodge was my first camping experience in Custer, still my favorite.

My family and I first camped in Custer State Park at Game Lodge almost 10 years ago. I have been back several times, and even though Sylvan Lake is cool, Game Lodge is still my favorite.

The showers and toilets are very clean. You never have to wait in line. The campsites are spaced perfectly so you don't feel like you are on top of your neighbors. during the day you can be eating lunch and watch the buffalo grazing on the hill. It is a little further South than Sylvan Lake, but it is worth the drive on Iron Mountain Road.

Unfortunately I can only find two pictures from Game Lodge that I took outside of the campground on Iron Mountain Road of some wildlife. Pre-dates my iphone.

Something different around every turn!

Absolutely adore the black hills region. Custer is a great place to make base camp while you check out everything the region has to offer. Popular campground we stayed at the cabins at the game lodge. Very well maintained. Be sure not to miss the walk around Sylvan lake or a stroll down main street in Custer. There's also an amazingly cool fish hatchery in Spearfish that is definetly worth the drive. Happy Adventuring! And say hi to the bison for me.

Nice and Simple

This campground is open year round and is located in Custer State Park, in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Features cabin, camper, and tent sites. Also has very nice bathroom facilities that includes showers. A nice little creek runs along the back of the campground and the wildlife are abundant, especially Buffalo and deer that roam directly next to the campsite.

Black Friday Gift: 6 months of FREE PRO camping features. Get Your Gift