Standard (Tent/RV)
Contact
Center Lake Campground is located in South Dakota
7 Reviews of Center Lake Campground
Not Bad, But Campsites Are Close Together

There is an Upper Loop Campground and Lower Loop Campground. I stayed in both for a total of 5 nights. Upper 4 stars and Lower 2 stars. There is a little more space per campground in Upper. Lower sites are very close to each other. Some RVers run generators and if you are downwind from a diesel one you get the fumes. Same with campfires and smoke. I'd stay in certain sites in Upper again. I won't stay in Lower again.

Convenient, Quieter than Sylvan Lake

Pros:

- beautiful spot, lots of spaced out tall, skinny trees and flat platforms for tents at all sites.

- drive in

- no cell service, but there was a phone on site to be able to call and reserve a walk-in spot.

- I'd tried Sylvan Lake first and it was full, but glad I ended up here because it felt slightly less crowded than Sylvan.

Cons:

- given the geography, there wasn't much privacy in the form of trees from one site to the next.

- where my site was I has to walk fairly far to the latrine, but this wouldn't have been true of all sites.

- sound traveled fairly easily, so I was awoken several times. One loud group until fairly late, around 11 PM.

Beautiful lake and trails

We really enjoyed staying here for two nights and would recommend. We were pleasantly surprised to find out that there aren’t any bears in the area to worry about! My husband went looking for wood to burn around the campsites one night and unfortunately came a foot away from a rattlesnake. A neighbor saw one on his hike the same day so campers should be aware and careful.

We aren’t hikers but there are a couple of 1-3 mile hikes in the area that we enjoyed. The hike up the hill to the overlook is a must!

There are FREE hot showers at the lake too which we were so thankful for.

Great place for a weekend get away.

Went up for Sturgis motorcycle rally. Stayed the weekend. Had a great time. Got me wanting to go camping again.

All Time Favorite Spot

Water, bluffs, pine trees… what more could you want? This place is perfect! There are great trails around the lake and along the creek. You might even catch some trout if you decide to drop a line in. Watch out for poison ivy along the creek thou.

Custer and all its glory

The center lake campground is the only spot I've stayed at in Custer State Park and I hope to get to camp at all the other campgrounds. This was such a wonderful experience. I personally prefer primitive camping but this area was so beautiful and the campsite was so easy to reserve. Each little site had its own picnic table and fire pit. We had to set up camp and cook dinner late at night, but the campground was so organized that it made it simple to navigate in the dark. There are endless trails and areas to explore in the entire park that it deserves a good whole week to experience it all! I look forward to making our next trip back.

Tucked Away Treasure

Just went for the day, but plan on going back as soon as possible for a few nights. The lake is cool and quiet, tucked away in the center of Custer park. Several trails and tons of fishing spots. There are vaulted toilets and a shower house. Camp sites are next to the lake and spaced well apart. One of my favorite spot s in the Black Hills, saw a buffalo on the drive there too.