Winner, SOUTH DAKOTA

Most Recent Winner Camping Reviews
Nice campsite for the night

Big open area plenty of space right by the Missouri River. Can camp up to 7 nights. Road in can be a bit of a problem when it’s been raining. Facilities are just a pit toilet. But very peaceful with great sunsets.

Neat location. But the cottonwoods...

This is a great campground on the west band of the Missouri River. Very nice and well kept facilities but beware there are lots of cottonwoods and at times during our stay it looked like it was snowing.

Access to this area is off highway 44 but be prepared for several miles of minimally maintained dirt road (with some big hills) to get there. I'd stay here again but I'd also research when the cottonwoods are not shedding their seeds.

Fine for a night

Right off the highway was a super convenient location when spending the night while driving. Tent camp is an open field without sites but it was flat and there was plenty of space. TONS of mosquitos though, couldn’t sit outside the tent at all. Bathrooms were good and clean.

Just Gorgeous!

The family was here this past weekend and all I can say is BEAUTIFUL! The falls are majestic, the river is serene, the camp spots are big, quiet nights, stunning stars, just a real treat for the family! This is a new favorite for us and we will be back for sure!

Good place to hang out

Great place to hang out by the Missouri River. Cool water and a few shade trees.

Good facilities

Right off of the interstate so easy access. Good camping facilities. Not a great view but there is a pool since there’s no river access.

Good facilities

Good facilities available for use. Perfect views of the river. At the beach there is kayaks and paddle boards available for rent which is the perfect addition to a great campground.

Close to interstate

This is a good stop on your way to the badlands. It s has a pool but the spots are tight.

Pit stop

Smith Falls State Park in NE is a good stop over while floating on the river. An awesome waterfall to hike to and some interesting roads to drive in on. Not good for RV’s unless you have 4 wheel drive and a high clearance type camper. This is the typical basic campground. There was a group present on a float trip and I learned that this is the highest waterfall in NE, which just goes to show how flat the state is :) Seeiously though it is worth a look.

Base camp

Wacky West Travel Park had very nice and helpful owners. Make sure you have the phone number because their office hours are limited so that they can keep up the park. It’s small and a little crowded but serves the purpose of a base camp or overnight location.

I attended a “Sisters on the Fly” event in Valentine, NE and this is were we all met and camped. The owners squeezed us all in and gave us a discount for our stay. One nice thing is you are in the middle of town right off the main drag so you can walk anywhere in town pretty easily.

The restroom and shower are keyed which you receive when you check in. Down side to that I forgot to drop my key in the mail slot when I left and had to go back to do so.

There is electric/water hook up at each site, not much in the way of shade , limitedfire rings and picnic tables. You could tell several of the sites were more towards permanent dwellings and some of the sites sat right on the entry road so you step out your camper door into the road. These sites were stacked so two of our group didn’t even try to unhook their campers.

If you’ve never experienced sand burrs Nebraska has them and they are horrible on dogs feet. The owner of the campground made extra efforts to keep the burrs out of the immediate camping area but my dogs still picked up several. There is a cattle yard directly behind the campground so I’m not sure how it smells when it’s hot, we were there in cold weather so it was not an issue.

Valentine has events going on and the Niobrara River is a main attraction, several of the group did a kayak float and explored the waterfalls along the river. We also walked to dinner within 1/4 mile at an excellent restaurant, Peppermill Steakhouse, worth a visit.

The three stars is due to the location, cramped accommodations and no recreation in the immediate area. However the owners were very accommodating and the facilities were well maintained. I would stay there again. Also I lost the pictures of the campground and Valentine but included the nearby recreation areas.