The best BOAT IN camping near
Varnville , SOUTH CAROLINA

This Black Friday Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Varnville Camping Reviews
A Caboose and wildlife

A little out of the way , nicely kept KOA. I love the decorum. The office houses a shower , laundry , pizza service and a small coffee and liquor bar. The staff was very nice and professional. The dog park is itty bitty which might prompt you to take a walk on the trail around a small lake……..but remember where you are cause your dog is not the top of the food chain here! No swimming in that lake! Well shaded and intricately interwoven parking spots. AND a Caboose to rent! Very cool. We stayed here overnight enroute to NC, it was moderately full but started filling up the day we left. The Parris Island is not far off and I’m sure during graduations this KOA gets crowded as well as evacuations and vacations.

Great campground

Great campground, nice and clean bathrooms, beautiful beach, very nice hosts, plenty of activities to keep you busy. Laundry facilities would be very nice addition. Be aware of vicious mosquitoes. Other than that amazing spot. Definitely will be back.

Pleasant and relaxing

Quiet campground, mostly RVs but nice spots for tent camping! Electric and water hookups for all sites, and they sell firewood and ice on site as well (on an honors system after the office closes). Nice pond with boardwalk in the center of the campground, and lots of space for dog walking. Very clean restrooms. Close to Hunting Island. We loved Superior Coffee for coffee and breakfast, and Shrimp Shack for lunch. Had a great time with our two dogs on their first camping trip! We are local to Beaufort and will definitely be back.

Absolutely gorgeous

Our first visit was in August 2020 and we’ve already booked our trip for 2021. We were in a site on the back row and even though this was farthest from the beach, it was only a quick walk to the ocean. Bathhouses were extraordinarily clean. The campground store was stocked with anything we might have needed. We rode our bikes up and down the beach and visited the lighthouse. The whole trip was fantastic, the only downside were the mosquitoes—come prepared!

Picked a bad weekend

Hunting Island State Park is a lovely place, but our camping experience was less than ideal. We tent camped on a full hookup site so we would have water and power. Had a lovely set up, but the mosquitoes and biting flies were off the chart! Also, was very hot and muggy. The bath house was like a sauna. Even after a cold shower, you came out sweating. It was also not very clean. The saving grace was the lovely beach which was a short walk from our campsite. Would definitely recommend going when the weather is a bit cooler and dryer!

My standard

I've been to several different campgrounds since I started camping with my son about 6 years ago. This is the campground I compare them all to. We visit every summer. Never have a problem with reserving a site. They don't charge me until I arrive. It's never been crowded or dirty or unpleasant ( even when it rained!). It's nothing fancy…no spa, no pool, no tacky store. But it's easy to find, has a lovely boardwalk running through it, and is less than 3 miles from a well preserved revolutionary war fort, secret beach, and some of the best oysters and shrimp I have ever, ever eaten ( and since I'm a sous chef that is saying a lot!). It's surrounded by oaks and history, and huge tomato farms. It's, to me, everything good about a summer getaway!! Can't wait to go back!!

Easy stop over

Easy stop over for a night or two. Right off of I95. Next to a major road, so there is car/truck noise during the day. None of the sites are private, so I wouldn’t call this a “destination” campground. Great if you want to fish and kayak the Edisto River!

The bathrooms are very clean and air conditioned. Sites are all very clean with power, water, picnic table, and fire ring. There are nicely spaced out trees, so if you have a hammock, bring it. Didn’t have mosquito issues, but beware there are a lot of ants and they bite!!

Best sites are 6, 8, and 9. We camped in site 10.

We LOVE THIS BEACH!!!

Part of me wants to keep this place a secret and of course here I am telling it all. This is our second year in a row visiting this beach and campground for a week long stay. If you want the privacy, peace and quiet of a campground and feel like you have your own little piece of the beach then you need to come here. Coming into the campground you ride along and first stop is a little hut on the right for check in with the volunteer staff. Straight ahead is the camp store that is always well stocked with all your camping needs, groceries, ice lots of items to decorate your camper and site with gifts and clothing. The view to the right lets you see the newly redone dunes put in place along with some camp sites. The campground has had a lot of rain lately which has created a lot of standing water which the camp staff have been using sump pumps to remove. The campsites are your typical sand and gravel base with some sites level to up hill a bit. Wildlife is abundant from the daily deer visits to the teeny tiny pesky mosquitoes. There are a handful of trails for hiking and bicycling on. A nature center is on site that shares the history and nature of the island via visual and audio information. The bathhouses are clean and well stocked. The beaches are clean and with minimal campers heading out to the beach gives you a lot of space to spread out and have some beach fun.

Colleton State Park

We enjoyed this nice quiet state park.

A Mosquito's Paradise

Hunting Island is a gorgeous and popular park. If you love mosquitoes and sweat, you should definitely visit in July! Recently opened after being flooded by rain, the campground had many large puddles where mosquitoes like to breed. And breed they did! As soon as we arrived, we were swarmed. We used a new can of bug spray up in one day and had to drive out to buy more supplies.

The best place to escape the bugs was on the beach, where a breeze keeps them at bay. The beach is also the spot to stargaze at night, where it's cool and clear and the sky view is amazing.

There are multiple restrooms/shower facilities, centrally-located throughout the campground (but no wastebaskets in the restrooms). You may want to bring a beach cart, as the walk from the campground to the beach is a little far for carrying a bunch of stuff in your arms.

The rustic tent sites, while closer to the beach, don't have much shade, which is a must during the summer. Friendly deer and raccoons roam the campground, looking for handouts and stealing, if necessary.

Recommended sites: 158, 179, 183