Monterey , OHIO

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Monterey Camping Reviews
Horrible booking site

We stayed one night at Winton Woods because it was close to friends we were visiting. We needed to stay on a Monday night and tried all weekend (Sat and Sun before) to book a site online. Both the mobile site and the full website didn’t work. There’s a number listed to call “if you’re having trouble booking online”, but of course the office was closed all weekend and didn’t open until Monday. It states that there are no same day reservations, which gave me a lot of stress all weekend not knowing if we were going to be able to book a site. Luckily on Mon morning they let me book over the phone. The campground was mostly open and when I was asked if I wanted a back in site or a pull through, I told them a back in would be fine (I like to leave the pull through for the bigger RVs that need them). When we arrived, we found that none of the back in sites had been plowed! All of the pull through sites were plowed and there were plenty open. It would have been nice for the gentleman on the phone to tell me that when I was booking. Instead we struggled to get into and out of our site and had to walk very carefully around our RV when hooking up and disconnecting. This is a great place for people that live in the city to escape, but we probably won’t stay again. No privacy between sites. And booking was the worst I’ve had at any campground. It is a very pretty urban park though.

Great campground for a family

We spent a week here in August of 2020. The kids enjoyed seeing the buffalo and playing at the playground. Very clean park with friendly staff. We had deer come in right next to our tent the first morning.

Rolling Hills & Good Hiking

With only vault toilets and 10 electric sites, this campground isn’t for everyone. But if you can make it past those unique features, camping here is actually great. With hiking trails directly linked to the campgrounds, it’s easy to explore the beautiful park. And this really is a great gem in Ohio, as part of the Miami river and Clifton gorge, the terrain is distinct, and breathtaking. Also, the camp hosts were incredibly friendly and the maintenance of the vault toilets was the best I have seen.

Closed

I called and This Campground was closed a Few Years ago. A Shame sense it’s in a Great Location

A fine campground that lacks charm

Camped three days in September 2020.

Not a bad place to camp but has the feel of a commercial campground. There's a distinct lack of charm. It's geared more toward those who own Boats and like fishing over hiking.

The shower house was very clean, the crew was around regularly to empty trash and clean. The hot water in the shower house left something to be desired (took forever, lasted about a minute and a half).

As a matter of personal preference, I was not a big fan of Rocky Fork but as a campground, it was completely fine.

Where everyone is a family!

It doesn’t matter where you are from, this campground is a very friendly campground. Your neighbors are just like when you are home….well if you like your neighbors. But seriously everyone at this campground is like family! Bathhouse is very clean with heat and air conditioning. Nice playground for the kids. Putt putt golf and some history along with Quinton doing his nature walks, and events fit the family and kids with scavenger hunts.Also be sure to eat at the Hidden waters lodge!

Large campground

We really enjoyed this large campground. There’s a bike way that terminates in the campground that runs by the lake and near a prairie. It’s not a loop so you’ll have to pedal back.

There are multiple playground and loops. Lots of places roam!

Stay in Loop A or B!

We love this campground. The sites in the B loop are pull through and can be converted to buddy sites (camping with a friend - face your awnings toward each other). I think you can get a travel trailer on A, B, E & G loops too but with the other loops you may be parking on the grass. The sites are sloped on loops C, D & F.

There's also a great creek off B loop that you can walk including a fun waterfall with a 'swimming hole'.

The lake has a horsepower limit and is great for kayaking or using a SUP.

There are several hiking trails near the B loop - one winds around to the lower campground. Nice elevation change. Other trails near B loop are much easier to navigate for anyone - even those with mobility challenges or pushing a stroller.

Easy Drive from the City

Located within an afternoon’s drive of downtown Dayton and Cincinnati, this park makes the perfect weekend getaway from the day to day grind. Located on a large reservoir, the state park has everything from boating, hiking and mountain biking to just sitting around the campground not doing much.

One important thing to think about with this state park is site selection. For a park surrounded by trees and forest the campsites offer a surprising dearth of shady maples for the sites. On first visit, one might suppose this was a young park, newly cleared for recreational purposes, but upon visiting some 20 years later, one would be disappointed at the lack of opportunity taken for shade production. Most of the sites nearer the lakeshore or cul-du-sacs, have adequate shade.

The bathhouse was kept very clean, even when it was pretty busy.  Overall, the place was pretty quiet despite the number of campers there.

Great Park

I’m a local and I love JB.  Great hiking, clean campground (and bathroom!), and close to Yellow Springs for local brews and good eats.