Paint Creek Lake, OHIO

Camping Ohio Paint Creek Lake
Most Recent Paint Creek Lake Camping Reviews
Amazing!!

We took our family vacation at the end of July to Hocking Hills State Park. The campsite was amazing and we really enjoyed being there. We absolutely will be returning next year. The hiking trails were amazing and my family really enjoyed the hikes.

Excellent staff, well maintained

While the tent spots did not have a lot of shade, the sites are close to the lake and make for some wonderful sunsets. All of the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful and all in all it was a great stay. We rented bikes from the camp store and swam at the beach which was conveniently close to the tent sites. Lots of fun and 10/10 would return again. I'm excited to come back and see how the young trees they have growing in the tent sites take off.

Needs work

Stayed one week with horses, corral falling down, outhouses and shower facilities beyond gross. 3/4 mile from trails, had to ride along very narrow road. Only saw owner once. There are better places to stay and enjoy riding at Hocking Hills. Place could be nice with some work

Cabin by the river

Cabin A, . Check-in time is 2pm and check out is 12pm. Please remember to bring your own linens, Morgan's does not supply sheets for the cabins. There are 2 twin mattresses and 1 full size mattress. **Helpful information from their reservation email.

They have 4 cabins in our area which would be nice to get another family to join us.  Then each family has their own cabin to retire to at the end of the day.

https://www.morganscanoe.com/ This site is close to King's Island and Fort Ancient. It also was next to a bike trail.  Close to the Little Miami Bike Trail this was easy to walk on with my friend and her two little ones.  The trail was paved which was a huge help for those of us who were extra short and didn't always attend to their surroundings when walking.

We were a little nervous as the cabin is so close the river. This is part of the charm but when you have a 3 year old in your group then it is smart to keep an extra sharp eye on the kiddo as the river is a huge draw.  We enjoyed being able to be close to the river and then being inside with a floor/door which a tent wouldn't have given us that extra security.  We had plenty of space for my friend, her two kids, and me.

The cabin didn't have heat and I tend to get cold easily.  For the average person in the summer and spring you will be fine. I needed to layer up. We had two little ones so during the day instead of the usual King's Island we went to Entertainment Junction. https://entertrainmentjunction.com/ and I was also able to get a Groupon to reduce the cost.

Price:$60.00/night for 2 Adults and up to 3 kids(3-16 years of age) 2-night minimum  required for weekends and 3-night required for holiday weekends.  The cabins weren't on top of each other. I felt that this was a better deal than some other local cabin prices and the atmosphere was better as well .

The tent sites which I explored on my walks are huge. A great camp site to have a bunch of friends meet up and camp at as it is so close to Cincinnati. This camp site, is far enough to get away but close enough.  This means that everyone can easily get there after work. We didn't want a long car drive with two little ones and this was a great way to start exposing them to camping in our "backyard".

The prices equal the local state parks but the sites are bigger.  The area has huge trees and grassy areas to put your tents up without feeling like your neighbors are right in your space.

A fond memory of a cabin

I was looking for this camp site on Dyrt as I had a fond memory of the quiet night that I spent there on a Sept. school night. I needed to be close by and this was perfect for me.

The cabins based on current information from their website some of them are not being rented due to the massive amount of rains we have had in recent times.  The cabins were clean, warm, and safe. The price was reasonable.  I enjoyed the quiet nature of the campground as I was there during a week day and non-peak season.

I also knew that it was close to an outdoor drama. I was researching the play again but I have just realized that I have missed the season again. I will try again next year to make it back to the classic play. I went as a child and want to see the play again with adult eyes.  http://tecumsehdrama.com/

I am not a bike rider but I do know that I saw a bike trail very close to this camp ground.

I went by to the near by town to Frankfort and had an enjoyable pizza meal. The owner of the campsite was able to give me some ideas for meals.  I then put the left overs in the fridge in the cabin.  She even guided me to the cabin when I had trouble finding it as it was tucked away in the hill side (part of the charm).  The leaves falling it made it tricky for me to be confident in how to get to the cabin.

Pretty lake. Campground like a parking lot

Wow! Beautiful place, huge lake, very peaceful out by the water.

Campground was not the best- sites were VERY close together, with most of the campground completely exposed with no shade. It was like trying to relax on a huge parking lot jammed with RVs and people. At most of the sites, you'd literally have a family up against you 20 feet to the left and a family 20 feet to the right. This might be fun for kids, but not fun if you are looking for some peace and quiet.

The bathrooms were average for Ohio State parks- icky and grungy, but not gag-worthy. I'm used to the ickiness of state park bathrooms, so I wasn't grossed out. The showers and toilets nearest my site had big puddles of standing water full of dirt, bandaids, plastic wrappers and other gross items floating there the duration of the weekend. One sink was full of dirt the entire weekend. Showers were hot though, which is always a plus.

Great place for kayaking. There was a little free library, which is a great idea. The snack bar was hopping the whole time. They need to make more than one pot of coffee at a time in the mornings (1 pot when they have 249 sites? They are missing out on $$!!), but I only buy coffee on the morning I'm packing up.

Overall, I enjoyed it here, but I'd only go if there are LOTS of free sites and you know you aren't jammed up against 2-3 other groups of people.

Full Moon night paddle on the Lake

Cowan Lake State Park - A friend and I were able to kayak on the lake the night of a Friday the 13th moon. It was beautiful. Sadly, no pictures as I do not have a water proof camera. The next day we also went out for another paddle under the bright sun.  The boat ramp and parking lot is easy to use and has a good layout.  They do have some tent sites close to the boat ramp area and you can see the lake from those tent sites.

Our campsite did not have any trees but they have planted a lot of new trees. I assume this due the previous trees having to be cut down due to Emerald Ash borer damage. Our campsite didn't have any shade but others did so you really have to pick wisely.

The trails here are easy and short.  I loved the informational boxes and tags that they had on the trees or plants.  This is helpful if you have little ones with you or if you are like me and just like to learn about the animals/plants on the trail.

The park also had a lending library and walking stick lending program. I thought these were simple but memorable features for this park.

Our campsite was close to two different bathroom structures.  One right behind our site was toilets only. This did mean that sometimes folks would walk on the edge or through the camp site at times.  The other bathroom structure was further down the road and it had both toilets and showers.  The larger bathroom had an ADA shower in it as well.

The camp store was well stocked and you could rent bikes from the store. These bikes were often all over the campground so be extra careful when driving in the park.  They do have the orange flag but as they are low to the ground it is hard to see them at times.

The cabins here have both a fire ring and grill. This isn't the case at all Ohio State parks so it was a nice surprise.  They also have a porch that is screened in with a view of the lake. You are not able to walk down to the lake from the cabin but it is a lovely view.

For those who want to "Walk-On" camp please take a look at the photo of the neon yellow paper as how the park approaches this will be different in the future.

**Not all photos or videos uploading so some information may be missing. I will try to upload again later.

My first year of Cabrewing

My husband and I did our first year of cabrewing at Morgan's. We had a wonderful time. The price was reasonable and the staff was extremely helpful. We loved the fact that we were able to bring our own canoes. The price us also very reasonable. Our campsite was beautiful, with an amazing view of White Water River. The float itself was also a lot of fun. I wouldn't advise bringing young children though, or maybe even any children. It's basically a party on the river. I'm definitely not complaining either. We will definitely be back next year.

Amazing state park!

This state park was so amazingly beautiful to me. It was completely unexpected. This campground is basically in walking distance to the old mans cave trail head. This hike is a must and is not strenuous whatsoever. The campground had a pool (closed while I was there) and had nice showers/full bathrooms. Ash cave is another hike in the area that was beautiful.

Great peaceful campground

Stayed a couple nights. Nice level site on river. Owners are wonderful. They have 7 private bathrooms with shower. Also a laundry room with one washer and dryer. We actually walked down boat ramp (which they have) and went swimming in the Ohio River! It’s nice to sit outside and watch the river and barges traveling up and down.

Campground with good extra's

I've been camping here since the late 80's and it has been the best place for camping I've ever been. Now when I say that I'm talking about the camping only, because that's what I come to this website for, is actual campground reviews not park reviews. The amenities are very good for being constructed in the late 80's or early 90's. The showers are very good they even have heated floors for the winter. Their is many water fountains and water spigots.  Their is two playgrounds for children. One is a very old swing set the other is more updated. Their is a trail on each end of the campground that leads to Rose lake, which I did catch a bass at by the way. The campsite does have volunteer's that keep the bathrooms and campsites maintained. The campground entrance is nice with a decent store with fire wood' ice and camping essentials and as you would imagine it is a little over priced. Now be prepared for the Racoons they're pretty bad ass, they WILL get into your things at night so please put anything food related in your vehicle. I have camped all over the united states and this is by far one of the best campsites in America.  I'm a tent camper so I recommend spots 140, 141, 161, and 162 these sites are the most spacious. Enjoy this awesome campground everybody.

Whoowee crowded and dense!

I've never seen such a dense campground. Granted, I was there Labor Day weekend, but this campground was huge, with very few trees and small lots very close together. It was chaos with people everywhere!

The shower house was just ok. Not clean, but not extremely dirty. Like most Ohio State campground shower houses are, mildly to very dirty.

I won't be staying here again because there was no privacy. I go camping to experience nature, not to be 12 feet away from five other families and hear their chaos all day long.

Like a giant parking lot

I didn't stay here but I drove through the campground and kayaked on the lake. The campground feels like a huge field- very few trees, a huge exposed area, and lots are extremely close together. The lakeside camping area looked like an RV parking lot.  I was there Labor Day weekend and it was absolute chaos, with people everywhere and kids just covering the street. Not my cup of tea!

The showerhouse is old and not that clean. The shower seemed to spray the entire wall in front of it- water was everywhere.

The lake was huge and open. Not great for kayaking but nice if you have a pontoon or fishing boat.

I won't be staying here, not my style.

Loved it for tent camping

Great camping experience! Waited too late to book in hocking hills state park but found a site here instead. We are tent campers and stayed in site 106 on"Northridge". Loved that the non-electric tent sites were so isolated from the RV campers. Site 107 gets muddy with a lot of rain. Sites 108-112 have a pretty significant slope. Each site in the loop has a picnic table and fire ring. There's a dumpster, pit toilets, and water. It was a short drive to the rest of the campers, a great hot shower, fantastic general store, miniature golf, and the beach to swim or lake to kayak. Took us at least 30 minutes to drive to the common hocking hills hikes but well worth it. We would return.

Ok campground in a beautiful place

Hocking Hills State Park is a very beautiful natural wonder in Ohio, but the state park campground was ok. The main complaint my group had was with the bathrooms. The women's bathroom near our site had 4 stalls - none of which had doors which would close. They were beautiful big, heavy wooden doors, but each was too big to actually close and lock the door! Fixing this may take 1-2 days work, but someone could easily remove the locks, run the doors through a saw to cut off an inch, stain and seal the exposed wood, and re-attached the locks. Old Man's Cave has a brand new welcome center, but the campground still has bathroom doors that don't close. It doesn't make sense to me.

The only other complaint is that the asphalt parking areas at each site are fairly small and there is no parking provided for extra vehicles. Having a large group with people driving separately makes it difficult as there is one parking spot on a site (if you set up a camper).

Other general notes: Many of the sites have a lot of slope, as you are in the hills, though each appeared to have at least one small flat area. The showers are fairly open, with curtains on each shower and a large curtain separating the shower area from the rest of the bathroom. They have a bench, hangers for towels, and a shelf for soap. The showerheads themselves are very nice and always had warm water! Another newer bathroom we visited (near the pool) had been remodeled recently, but was significantly dirtier than the old one. There was mud and toilet paper all over the floor and it was smelly.

Overall, the campground is in a great location. You can easily hike to Old Man's Cave, Rose Lake, Cedar Falls, and the Devil's Bathtub. Most of these trails lead to other areas 4-5 miles away as well. And being within walking distance of the trails, you don't have to worry about parking (and boy was it crowded this Labor Day weekend).

Great for RVs and families

Beautiful park and camping if you like a parking lot for RVs. Lots of families and pets. Not great for tents but theres a couple ok spots. Not secluded. Very little shade but lots to do at the park and its very clean.

Camp on the river

Location is great it's near Kings Island and the river is perfect for canoeing and kayaking. There is a paved bike trail and Fort Ancient is nearby. It was nice but lots of broken glass people loud into the night and a not so friendly staff. Be warned it's also 5$ to rent a grate for your fire pit.

Spread out well

Nice place, spread out, plenty of room between sites, very little shade as they have cut down a whole lot of trees.

Popular

Nice place but always packed in the weekends. This is a great place to visit if you don't mind a packed campground at top dollar. Very expensive compared to other places.

Quiet place

Great place with lots of area for fishing, small boat access.

Canoeing, Kayaking, and all the fun

Morgan’s is amazing! They have been around for a few generations and provide canoeing, rafting, and kayaking at different trip lengths for a great price. There are plenty of spots along the beautiful Little Miami River Valley to pull your canoe off to the side and sit and hang out. Clean showers and restrooms, transportation from the kayak end site back to your campsite, a market…and conservation efforts on top of it all. They help the bees and monarchs. Love this place!!

Home away from home

I’ve been going to Eastfork for many years now and it will always be a second home to me. The campsites are good sized and wide spread. Most sites are set a bit in the woods which gives you more privacy. Bath houses are always clean and the showers are well maintained. If you like walking the trails, there is a great variety of different paths and maps and signs to assist you. A friend and I went out for a hike and got turned around after dark. We sent a message to the Eastfork Facebook page and they answered us within 5 minutes and helped direct us out! I will always recommend this place!

Really nice.

I like the beach, wish they could have a beach dog to chase away the geese.

Camping is also nice. More trees please.

Love the Meteor Show Campout on the beach. Best even of my summer.

Great place

Wow, the family and I had a great time here. This was our first camping trip with our new camper at the time. Weather was nice in the Spring time when we went. We did end up with a couple inches of snow also one morning. We will be back in the future.

Beautiful Area! Less Than Average Campground.

Hocking hills is freaking amazing! Which is what made staying here OKAY. But this campground was not that awesome. Tiny sites that were basically just cement slates similar to parking lots. Zero trees or privacy (at least where we were) and eye sore dumpsters it felt like every few feet. You COULD however, walk strait into the trail system from there, so that made it worth it. Just don’t plan on spending much time at the campsite, and this place will be fine.

Something for everyone

We stayed on an electric site with tents and we were impressed with how clean and organized the camping areas are. The shower houses were well maintained, though some of the restrooms are aging. The maps/photos do not do justice to the terrain. Like the trails, be prepared to be on a hill, as most sites sit on the hillside. But with easy access to the hiking trails, a fishing lake, and several swing sets for our son, we will absolutely be returning next year.

Amazing place

As always a great experience!! Friendly staff, beautiful grounds, overall excellent

Fave Midwest State Park

I get asked "where should we go camping or hiking in the Midwest?" Hocking Hills State Park is always my go-to answer.

It has a ton of different terrains, it's easily accessible from Columbus, OH, and has great hiking opportunities.

This particular campground is amazing because it's located nicely to many hiking trails but far away that you aren't overly crowded so you still get the feeling that you're in nature.

I've been here a ton growing up in the horse campground area, but most recently was there for tent camping. We were surrounded mostly by RVs, but we fit in quite nicely into our site.

The sites were nicely spaced out and the hiking trails were all nearby.

Great place!!!!

Clean, located right on Old Mans Caves.  Friendly staff.

Lots of cool things

I was pretty impressed with the park. Lots of fun for kids with the swimming pond and arcade. As a moto camper, we really lucked out with a flat plot and didn’t have anyone in the spots next to us. My #1 complaint was the bathroom situation. They were VERY far from the camp area (the one in the arcade room was close but it was closed after 11pm) and the bathrooms they did have only typically had one working stall. (If it wasn’t plugged up with you know what). This campground would REALLY benefit from a couple porta johns. The camp store sells ice and firewood ($8 a bundle which is the highest i’ve ever paid at a campground) but it’s nice to have. Cell service is great and right down the road from gas stations and restaurants.