The best DRIVE IN camping near
Etowah , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Etowah Camping Reviews

Last minute find when Tropical storm Zeta interfered with our travel plans. EXCELLENT staff. EXCELLENT amenities, clean, unique. The "pent house" sites up top have magnificent views. Well thought out. Several dump stations, propane, some full hookups. Great use of natural elements. Quiet, friendly. Showers,laundry all clean and up to date. You need to unhook if towing a vehicle. Well worth a visit!!!

Primitive Camping with Lots of Trash

If you are looking for solitude, this might be it… I say might because there were other campers and the sites are adjacent to the road and close to the Chatooga River. Occasionally, a vehicle would pass during the day, but at night it wasn’t so bad. However, the sites are a good drive off the main road far from any town. Even in this mountainous area, the sites were fairly level and shaded. It is accessible via a forest road that is dirt and gravel. There are no water or toilet facilities, so you have to pack everything in and pack everything out. I give it one star because it seems to be a hangout for a person of questionable interest. At the campsite where I stayed, there was a backpack that had been there for a while. There were papers partially sticking out of the backpack and they were legal papers, including an arrest warrant. With that said, I chose to stay only one night and felt very uncomfortable there. Under normal conditions, I would give it two or three stars, but I really felt uneasy staying there. Additionally, there was a lot of trash and previous campers did not bury their toilet paper or wipes.

There were other sites down the road, but one was occupied where there were two or three together. I really preferred camping by myself, but maybe with what I found at site 1,

I would have been better off with company… maybe. Overall, I cannot recommend it.

This park is BEAUTIFUL!!

We camped here at Oconee, at site 7, on the Lake Loop, in the middle of May 2020. PERFECT!! We were able to pitch a tent AND had room for my tow vehicle and teardrop camper! The folks that run the Visitor Center were PHENOMENAL! Plenty of room, nice sun and shade areas, EXTREMELY clean bathrooms and bathhouses, wifi, MANY trails to walk and hike, and really awesome buildings and a man made lake, that were built by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps)! I HIGHLY recommend checking this place out, and camping here! We're planning another trip in the Spring!

You can also visit nearby Table Rock State Park, Bald Rock Heritage Preserve, and Riley Moore Falls!

Beautiful water view! Visit jocassee state park

Jocassee state park in Devils Fork is awesome for the family! Lots of water activities. The area is clean. We had an awesome stay!

Beautiful for Fall camping

We did a spontaneous trip to the mountains and we found this nice camp site along the North Fork French Broad River and we camped right along the river. It felt like we were camping deep in the woods and the Fall leaves were still clinging to the trees and made it absolutely beautiful. We fished right next to our camp site and then relaxed with a camp fire listening to the sound of the River.

HWY 215 runs along the camp site but since it was the weekend there was very little traffic. Hosts were very friendly, bath house was clean, and had chickens running around the camp site. Only reason I gave the camp site a four star is because there is clutter around a old cabin and old camper, has a broken down sink and if cleaned up would look much better.

Camp site is close to the Blue Ridge Parkway and other areas of interest.

Nice, but cramped

The Asheville East KOA is well maintained and a nice place to stop if you're exploring Asheville.  It's about 10 minutes east of downtown Asheville.  The spots are really tight. They have been updating over the years, but could use a little more work.

Meticulously maintained

Mama Gertie's is the most well kept campground I've ever been in.  The bathhouses look like something inside of an upscale hotel room.  There are mountaintop sides with big patios that hang over the mountain top and have incredible views.  It is one of our favorite places in the country.

Downside, amenities are limited.  No pool, no playground, etc.

Beautiful place

We were able to reserve site 40 and it was the most beautiful site avaliable at the campground. There is a trail to the lake, where you can access water and it made us feel like we were in our private small beach. There were staff cleaning restrooms regularly, showers had great pressure! You can rent kayaks or paddle boards at the campground. We loved the experience and will definitely be back.

A wonderful getaway

I was thrilled to find a campsite available with an amazing view. While our site was very small, it was perfect for me and two teenage kids. They loved being next to the creek and watching the water move. We already have our next visit booked! It probably won't be our last time, either!