Richwood , NEW JERSEY

This Black Friday Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Richwood Camping Reviews
Rustic

Great for groups

Close to the main roads but feels remote.

Lovely!!!!

What a clean, quiet, well cared for campground!!  I saw some negative comments on another site and was very surprised.  The sites are sufficiently large.  Certainly one can see other campers but check the site map and you can certainly find sites more private than others.

VERY dog friendly.  They have an off leash dog area and swimming  area.  The trails are nice, wooded, uncrowded.   Cross the street and you can access the canal trail surrounded by protected land.  Great for walking/biking combined with canal traffic watching.  We walked the dogs along trail and saw 1 other person. Another day we drove along the dirt roads along the canal and saw 2 other vehicles the whole time.

Easy to ride into Wilmington as well as very close to the Brandywine area.

Do yourself a favor and visit Hagley Museum!

I  definitely recommend this campground!

Owned by liberals that are just mean

I’ve never written a bad review but this place needs to be aired out for how they treat people.

I called this campground several days in advance and talked to someone on the phone and asked if I needed to make a reservation for Friday. I was 38’ and needed 50amps and a sewer dump. The nice lady on the phone said we should have plenty of spaces. I don’t like to make the reservation if I do not have to just Incase we don’t make it as far as we had planned.

Upon arrival I walk into the check in front desk area and the lady working behind the counter quickly states “you can’t be in here without a mask on”. I ask her if she has one because I do not. (I suppose I should have kept some with me but the reason for this trip was to deliver my Motorhome to the new owner and we packed super light to not have a ton of baggage to fly home). She did huff and walk over and give me one from a large pile the had at the desk. Then I told her I needed a spot for the night 50 amps with a clean out. She goes over to the reservation pile and asks what my last name is. I told her I had not made a reservation but I had called a few days ago and the lady on the phone said there should be no problems and will be vacancy. This irritated her for whatever reason. She told me well we only have 30 amp with no sewer. I just figured that they had an unexpected rush of people and it was my fault for not getting a reservation. I told her okay I’ll take it but do they have a 30amp to 50 amp cord I could rent? She quickly snapped and said I have to purchase it. I said I would hold off as maybe the fella that was buying my motor home May have one from his last rig. No big deal. She gave us a map of the park and showed us where to park.

So the directions she gave us to the spot was wrong to start off with but hey mistakes happen. So we get parked in our spot and notice the park has quite a few open spots. I walked over to the row right behind us and there were 10 open spots in a row that had 50 amp service and clean outs. Well we then went back up front because the new owner didn’t have a 30 to 50 amp adapter and asked if they were sure there wasn’t any open spots that had 50 amps because I had seen plenty of open ones. She just snapped at me no. I told her I would take the 30 amp to 50 amp cord because my Motorhome was setup for 50 amp. She went to the shelf and handed it to me and charged me $25. I didn’t even look at it to make sure it was the right one and headed back to the campsite. Well it was the wrong way. It was 50amp to 30amp. (Because most of their sites seem to be 50 amp 😂). On the way back up I checked a couple of other empty sites and as you would think they were ALL 50 amp. When I went back into the front office I told her that I needed the other adapter that this one was wrong I also didn’t have my mask as it fell in the dirt and I was over the antics. At this point another fella was in there that I think was her husband (she had also told me earlier she was the owner) she mumbled “he doesn’t even know what he needs”. I quickly said. Well you gave me the wrong one. And I again I asked about ALL the other 50 amp sites that were open. The guy at this point said with a raised voice “we are completely booked”. I just left.

This place has the worst service and the worst staff ever. I wouldn’t camp here if I were paid to.

I have enclosed a photo of the row behind us that all had 50 amp service with clean outs. Nobody ever showed in the 15-20 spots I just quickly looked at. This place is a joke and owned by your typical liberal haters.

Avoid this place

This place is amazing! Horses and hills

I had the best time here hiking up and down the mini mountains. The water was clear and beautiful and I absolutely loved it.

Great little campground

Fantastic weekend with family. Large campsites at the Lake Loop. Map is a little deceiving- the sites are farther from the lake than I expected and there are no running water bathrooms. Very clean and wooded sites. Walking/hiking trails and the lake were super peaceful.

Lots of camping, full hookups, lots of activities

There’s a ton of camping at Elk Neck, including a loop with full hook ups. In the full hook up loop pay close attention to the lengths specified. The actual pads are fairly level but some of the driveways to them are very sloped. Long rigs will have issues in a few of the sites.
There’s a camp store, boat ramp, swimming, fishing and lots,of great hiking. Definitely drive to, and then hike to the light house (open most weekends) the light house and the view are definitely worth it.

Enjoyable

We just returned from a 4 night trip to Baker's Acres.  The staff was friendly, our site was large, clean, and the most level site we have ever camped on!  We loved the nature trail.  We saw deer every time we walked on it.  My husband and daughter enjoyed the pool.  The playground was nice.  We enjoyed the scavenger hunt and Saturday night entertainment.   There were very few golf carts and all the cars drove cautiously.  We felt our daughter was safe to ride her bike.

Some people might complain about the condition of the roads.  We didn't mind them - it kept people from driving too fast.  The bathhouse at the pool could use an update but it was clean and the toilets flushed and the spigots worked!  The red bathhouse was nice with separate shower/toilet rooms.  Our campsite was a good 7 minute walk from the nearest bathroom which was a bit far so a small bathhouse near the nature trail would have been appreciated.

The trip into LBI was an easy one.  We borrowed beach tags from the camp store for a fee and headed to the Brant Beach section of LBI.

We usually do all of our own cooking at our camper but we did decide to treat ourselves to a meal at Calloways (about 5 minutes away).  They have outdoor dining and mini golf.  In non-Covid times they have some amusement rides.

Pretty views & super clean

Overall, we enjoyed our August 2020 stay at Elk Neck State Park. We stayed in the North East Loop as we needed both pet-friendly and electrical hook ups. During our hikes, we discovered that the tent sites have some truly amazing water views (particularly Miles Loop sites 169 and 173).
The bathrooms were immaculate in our loop, although the hot water heater was not working. Staff was friendly and kept their distance. The lighthouse was a nice flat hike and made for pretty pictures. We were disappointed to discover that there was a do not enter advisory for the beaches, as there was high bacteria content at the time. We did take a walk down to look at the beach, and to be honest, we probably would have passed on it anyways. Loud music and lots of litter. We don’t travel to the same site more than once, but the kids have both asked to come back to this one!