Pioneer Junction, MONTANA

Camping Montana Pioneer Junction

Most Recent Pioneer Junction Camping Reviews
Beautiful piece of heaven

It is a wonderful campground. There is water and a dump station available. The lake is amazing. Cliff jumping was a blast and the water wasn’t too cold to spend the day in it. Best 10 days I ever spent camping.

A Perfect Escape

We camped here on the last night of our Flathead area trip and I have to say this site was easily my favorite place we stayed. We pulled in around 2 PM on a weekend and had no problem finding a spot. This campground works best for tents but you could pull in with a small trailer. The short walk to the river makes for great swimming and picture taking. There is some highway noise but it is not a heavily used road. Would highly recommend this campground.

Small, secluded campground

Campground is very secluded and tree covered. First come first serve. I believe there are about 12 sites. Be prepared to take a narrow dirt road off the highway to get to the campground (I had no issues with my 18 foot trailer). Had 2 bathrooms and a fresh water faucet. I went in late season (October) and was the only one there. There is a ton of nearby hiking (Mostly single track with lots of elevation gain).

Quiet for a state park!

Sam Owen is a nice place to camp for a few days, or spend some time on the water. It is surprisingly quiet for a campsite, considering it's location! Pend Oreille is a beautiful lake and is a great place for boats, kayaks, and paddle boards! The campsites at Sam Owen have picnic tables and some have fire pits. There are dumpsters and water available as well. I have camped here mid-May and came for day visits during busier summer months and never felt that there were too many people or I needed a reservation. Sandpoint is a charming town and area. Joel's in Sandpoint has some of the best burritos in the Northwest. There is an excess of hiking and mountain biking in the area! Some good trails include Mickinnick and Sam Owen trail.

Steep but rewarding!

Talk about a hike! This is a pretty steep trek, with rewarding views at the top. Be sure to read trail reports and weather reports before heading out. North Idaho weather can be pretty finicky, especially at high elevations. Make sure to be aware of wildlife as well! Scotchman's is known for mountain goat sightings, but as they become more accustomed to people they can be a little aggressive. Keep a safe distance!

Secluded

Nice, quiet campsite. Make sure to get there early for a spot! Buck Mountain Trail #176 is a great hike or bike in the area. If you scramble to the top of the mountain, there is an incredible view of the Cabinets and the Selkirks. Watch out for grizzly and black bears in this area! The creek along the campsite is cool and clean.

Best secret on Pend O'reille

Whiskey Rock is one of the nicest spots on the lake. It's a serious drive by car and most of the traffic is by boat. I was once here the week before July 4th and even then, there wasn't a lot of people. This spot sits between several mountain ranges and right on the lake. It is quiet and peaceful. Lots of great recreation areas and wildlife in the area. Great views. The campsites are primitive, but there are outhouses on site. No potable water, so bring a filter or a jug!

Nice but the road in....

The camp is small and very quiet. The road in is awful. Would be real hard on any low RV.

Unknown Campground/RV Park

Not very well publicized RV Park. Hopefully, this will help. We stayed here in July. It's a small park and spaces are close together. There is water and power hookups, and a dump station at the exit. The showers are okay. Could use a more regular cleaning.

Absolutely stunning location

I love this RV Park. It’s amazing. We have been coming here for years and wouldn’t dream of going anywhere else. It’s very clean and well kept. The staff is extremely friendly and easy going. We look forward to our return next year!