Kaniksu National Forest, IDAHO

Camping Idaho Kaniksu National Forest
Most Recent Kaniksu National Forest Camping Reviews
Fly fishing only

Great little lake to get away to and camp. Fly fishing only, quiet and great for kayaking. Nice trail along lake to a grove of old growth trees. Has pit toilet but no water, so bring your own.

Small, secluded campground

Campground is very secluded and tree covered. First come first serve. I believe there are about 12 sites. Be prepared to take a narrow dirt road off the highway to get to the campground (I had no issues with my 18 foot trailer). Had 2 bathrooms and a fresh water faucet. I went in late season (October) and was the only one there. There is a ton of nearby hiking (Mostly single track with lots of elevation gain).

Quiet for a state park!

Sam Owen is a nice place to camp for a few days, or spend some time on the water. It is surprisingly quiet for a campsite, considering it's location! Pend Oreille is a beautiful lake and is a great place for boats, kayaks, and paddle boards! The campsites at Sam Owen have picnic tables and some have fire pits. There are dumpsters and water available as well. I have camped here mid-May and came for day visits during busier summer months and never felt that there were too many people or I needed a reservation. Sandpoint is a charming town and area. Joel's in Sandpoint has some of the best burritos in the Northwest. There is an excess of hiking and mountain biking in the area! Some good trails include Mickinnick and Sam Owen trail.

Steep but rewarding!

Talk about a hike! This is a pretty steep trek, with rewarding views at the top. Be sure to read trail reports and weather reports before heading out. North Idaho weather can be pretty finicky, especially at high elevations. Make sure to be aware of wildlife as well! Scotchman's is known for mountain goat sightings, but as they become more accustomed to people they can be a little aggressive. Keep a safe distance!

Secluded

Nice, quiet campsite. Make sure to get there early for a spot! Buck Mountain Trail #176 is a great hike or bike in the area. If you scramble to the top of the mountain, there is an incredible view of the Cabinets and the Selkirks. Watch out for grizzly and black bears in this area! The creek along the campsite is cool and clean.

Best secret on Pend O'reille

Whiskey Rock is one of the nicest spots on the lake. It's a serious drive by car and most of the traffic is by boat. I was once here the week before July 4th and even then, there wasn't a lot of people. This spot sits between several mountain ranges and right on the lake. It is quiet and peaceful. Lots of great recreation areas and wildlife in the area. Great views. The campsites are primitive, but there are outhouses on site. No potable water, so bring a filter or a jug!

Nice but the road in....

The camp is small and very quiet. The road in is awful. Would be real hard on any low RV.

If I could leave 0 stars I would

The place is falling apart and they don't seem to care. If you like being watched while in the bathroom then by all means camp there two way mirrors in both bathrooms. Paint chipping off dirty bathroom and shower only 1 shower. Fish cleaning station overgrown by weeds. When we first got there I was told in a hostile voice that there was no storing anything outside. It was always ok for everyone else to have a bonfire but us. We were on constant alert the entire 6 months there. I asked before bringing a truck to the park if it was alright and she said yes for a week. Then on the fourth night she met us with a pen and paper screaming at me that she was going to have it towed. Oh and our small dog had a small cable leash around the the tree that wasn't ok either. Nothing we did was ok ever! One week doesn't doesn't have 4 days last time I checked. I had bought a truck to replace the other truck we owned after all we lived there for 6 months. I became very sick while there and had to go back and fourth to the hospital never once did they ask how everything was going. Hostile environment even complaining about 5 potted plants. Really why others had them. Long story short if you like to camping in the middle of a subdivision by all means check it out. Be careful not to trip on all the nails sticking up on the docks as they need repair as well then go ahead and see for yourself. I will never go back ever!! Not that they care I think they should sell the place because they don't care.

Camp close to creek

Private sites in the woods of Idaho. Fish in the creek next to most sites.

Every campers dream

I’ve been to Priest countless times. Camp in the woods or on the beach. Upper or lower Priest Lake.

Kayak camping!

The best of both worlds! Who loves kayaking and car camping? Why not both?? A group of us stocked up our kayak and we trekked out to Kalispell Island! Storms all around us but the views were beautiful. Nature is beautiful. Set up our hammocks, tents and brought out fishing poles.

Make a reservation

We tent camped, sharing a site with some friends in an RV. Only some of their sites are reservable, others are walk up. We did not have reservations so had to join a lottery to get one of the walk up sites. Despite arriving early in the morning, we did not know until mid afternoon if we got a site. Half way through our stay we had to move sites and again go through the lottery system. Fortunately we got sites both times, others were not so fortunate.

Otherwise it is a well taken care of camp ground. Lots of paved hiking paths, a beautiful beach, and a great play structure. No camp store on site.

Great camping

A variety of site types (some great for RV's, others better designed for tents). A huge sand beach with swimming area, docks with boat slip rentals. Campfire programs both during the day and night, plus the ranger station has fishing poles and nature backpacks to check out for kids for free. Camp store with basic essentials and ice cream.

Disappointment

Sept 18 2019

Willow Bay Resort Campground and Marina

American Falls,  Idaho

I'll start with the good. The sites are all very spacious, paved and mostly level. Pull throughs plus back ins. FHU. Pretty sunset.

Now the not so good. This is by no means a resort and there is no working marina. No cable. Cafe was closed for the season. Paid $45 per night. Water level in reservoir was very low. We were told you can launch boats from another side of the reservoir.

The first site we were assigned, the firepit was filthy and surrounded by a swamp. The next site the firepit was full if trash. Wound up in an ok spot. Sites have picnic tables. The bathhouse needs to be demolished and replaced. The floors and walls were in terrible condition. The toilet was dirty as were the sink and shower. The shower was very large. The laundry was bare bones.

Waterfront RV campground

9/14 to 9/17/19

Blackwell Island RV Resort

Coeur d'alene Idaho

Close to interstate, located next to Spokane River and lake. Boat and kayak rentals. Sites are gravel, level, both pull throughs and back ins available, FHU, no privacy between sites. Some nice water front sites. Chairs in place to enjoy the small beach. Nice volleyball and play area. Small BMX course was fun. Cute landscaping near water, small trees within the campground. Picnic tables, no wood fires allowed. No tents of any kind. Very limited store at the office. Town very close with stores and restaurants. Nice restaurant a short distance at the Marina called Cedars. Great private bathroom/with shower. Nice laundry facilities. Free cable and spotty wifi. Moose too!

Camp and Theme park

We stayed here in July. It's next to Silverwood theme park, so you can camp the night before, hit the theme park early, and then crash after a fun filled day. The spaces are close and very open. Make sure you reserve the correct power hookup for your RV. RV Park does have things for the family to do, outside the theme park.

Unknown Campground/RV Park

Not very well publicized RV Park. Hopefully, this will help. We stayed here in July. It's a small park and spaces are close together. There is water and power hookups, and a dump station at the exit. The showers are okay. Could use a more regular cleaning.

Surprising hideaway

We stayed at the Tamarack RV Park in June. It's a surprise, because you're right in town, but the stand of trees it's in, makes you forget that. I agree with the first review. The spaces are small. However, the restrooms and showers are very nice and convenient. Also had a great price.

And if you're in Coeur d'alene, you have to go eat at the Wolf Lodge.

Absolutely stunning location

I love this RV Park. It’s amazing. We have been coming here for years and wouldn’t dream of going anywhere else. It’s very clean and well kept. The staff is extremely friendly and easy going. We look forward to our return next year!

Simply perfect

Beautiful surrounding area, with wooded grounds create a quiet and peaceful stay. Long, pull through RV sites that are over 80 feet long. Tenting sites. The prices are well below the competition. I will be staying here any time I come through this area.

Superb Owners

To start off, I rarely write reviews. We were in the area in August of 2019 and we stopped here to potentially tent camp. We went inside and asked if there was anything available for the night. We wanted a quiet campground with access to the Kootenay River in which they had both. So one of the owners let us check out the sites and trail to the river. However, we wanted something right on the river and it was a little bit of a walk to gain access to it.

We went back in and said we wanted something along the river and the owner recommended a different campground further down the road. (Which ended up being a great recommendation.) She didn't have to do that. She wasn't greedy whatsoever. That's how businesses should operate. That what makes people want to come back because of little stuff like this. I even offered to buy some firewood because she recommended a different campsite and she told us to get it at the camp in which we were staying.

That's why I'm writing this review because it's hard to find good service like that anymore. Although we didn't stay here, I highly recommend this campground. Great service, very clean, and nice atmosphere.

Springy point

Nice  campground on the Pend Oreille river. Beach and large dock. Shady with lots of trees. Camp hosts were helpful. Showers were clean as was the campground. Animals allowed on leash. No hook ups at campsite but water and dump available.

Riley Creek

Very clean. Roomy sites. Showers and dish washing area. Popular campground hard to get in.

Loved this campground

Had a family reunion at this campground. Loved every second of this place. Started by playing frisbee golf at their awesome new course. Had our puppy with us and he had an absolute blast.

Cute little store that had all kinds of local art and everything you’ll need for camping. We were blessed with a few amazing thunderstorms that put a damper on fishing, but had a great time watching the storms pass.

We did get some fishing in for cutthroat and lake trout. Cutthroat are catch and release so we had to be pretty careful, but the lake trout tasted amazing.

Amazing camp hosts stopped by regularly and were so nice. Bathrooms were clean and showers were hot. All in all, had a great time at this campground and we plan on going back this next spring.

Waterfront access on very private lake!

Bad Medicine was just what the Dr ordered for us over the 4th of July! Very rural location. 30 minutes, at least, to closest store, so there weren’t many people there. Excellent for doing your own fireworks 💥

Amenities were lacking unfortunately.

Wonderful

This once "hidden gem" campground is growing more popular because it is absolutely astounding. The Views of the Cabinet Mountains and Bull Lake are stunning and the location of the campground is perfect, IMO. The pit toilets were clean, the sites are well taken care of, and the ability for activity is great. As others have said you do have direct access to Bull Lake and the hiking is just a short drive to an Ancient Giant Cedar Grove. You are in bear and Grizzly country here though so keeping food locked up is a must. One final note, they tell you to raise your hood due to pack rats getting in your engine compartment.

Nice but crowded

I stayed in the tent part of the campground, and the sites (especially the first few) are awfully close. This is a great campground for camping with friends but I don't recommend it for a quiet getaway.

Regardless, I still enjoyed my time with my dog and the tent sites were nicely shaded so I wasn't baking in them. There's many hiking trails nearby to explore and you're walking distance from the lake.

Close to Lake Coeur d'alene

Great little spot with close access to lake beaches and hiking trails. I stayed for 2 nights with my dog and it was very enjoyable. Creek doesn't seem to run most of the year but that was alright with me. There are a number of sites around a field and a few more further up in the campground and more secluded. I would stay here again!

A really big park with lots to do

Pros: The park is beautiful. We had fun boating and swimming on the lake. Lots of bike riding and hiking. A good junior ranger program. A historic museum to visit and some old ruins to explore (in the dark?). FREE hot showers!!!!! Flat, clean campsites. Cons: They don’t allow hammocks. No dogs at the swimming beach. The camp host was not very friendly. The park is really big. It’s divided up into separate campgrounds (we stayed in whitetail) so it keeps the size from being overwhelming. But it still has the feel of a “big park”.