The best GROUP camping near
McKinley , MINNESOTA

Most Recent McKinley Camping Reviews
Feels Like Wilderness

Stayed at a camper cabin- had the park to ourselves! Absolutely gorgeous. The drive off the main highway is a few miles, so you really end up out in the wilderness! We also appreciated that this park doesn’t allow hunting so you know you are safe during that season.

The campground is along a series of winding lakes, with multiple access points to the water. Very spaced out and easy access to vaulted toilets and water. A couple of different fishing piers and docks right near the campground itself. Has electric and non-electric sites. Definitely impressed with the campground itself. Very pretty no matter where you camp.

Park has:

- fishing pier

- hiking trails

- fish cleaning building

- stocked backcountry fishing lakes

- canoe rental

- a trail center with a community fire ring and comfy chairs

- dump station

- RV sanitation station

- camper cabins

- group camp

- swimming beach

- trailer access

- watercraft and backpack sites

We enjoyed night walks and star gazing- we decided it was the best stars we had ever seen! Even saw shooting stars. Cooked some great meals, and enjoyed the hiking club walk through the woods to some super-secret small lakes.

Checked out the group site- so cool. Right on the water with a personal dock and toilets.

This park is truly in the wilderness, felt like actually being in the Boundary Waters! Crystal clear water, thick gorgeous forests, and an amazing sky.

Head into Ely, maybe 20 mins, if you need supplies or a break from the woods. Also can access the BWCAW there too.

We appreciated that this park is open year-round, but can’t wait to go back in the summer!

Wonderful Camping Spot

This is a great spot to catch the fall colors in Northern Minnesota. The camp ground has two loops. The first loop is mainly for walk-in camping, while the second loop can accommodate any size rig.

Right on Lake Superior

The area is beautiful with a lot to see and do. The camp is clean and for very full this time of year with many campers enjoying the color change on the north shore. Would like a little more forest around me but for a convenient spot I would stay here again in the future. Very clean. As far as quiet you listen to the waves hitting the shore line. Bring a jacket if you plan to be next to the water.

Very quiet but beautiful

The campground is very quiet but the fall scenery is beautiful. The trees are blazing in color. Clean campsites with plenty to do. Hiking, bicycling, fishing etc. The city of Ely is close for supplies and grocery shopping. Two large grocery stores. Friendly people throughout this town. Will camp here again.

Nice little campground

The sites had good privacy due to the trees, and I managed to set the tent up at the way back of the site, so you couldn't see it from the road. The pit toilet was pretty clean and there were even hand sanitizer bottles outside for use. The well water available had a bit of an off smell and came out a little more yellow/brown than I prefer so I did not use it.

Great place

Went over Labor Day. Owners were great and really helpful. Close to the off road vehicle park. Definitely camping here again next summer!

Nice Forest Campground By The Lake

I spent two nights at site #13 which was an electric site with my RV. There is a mile-long hiking trail in the park which is a plus. It was raining and was windy so I didn't get to enjoy it much but what I noticed that it is overrun with mice during the night. They kept me up getting in and running around. I put traps out during the night and I caught 6!!! I never caught six in one place during one night ever. I was talking to the neighbor and she said she also had mice in her rig. The park needs more owls :)

Anyways, it is a nice park, and I can see that it is lots of fun when the weather is nice, you can kayak, canoe on the lake, and kids can run around. I just didn't have the best experience there.

Great, clean sites. Gorgeous lake!!

I spent 3 nights in a tent and my friends had a large camper in the same site. They were clean and the chipmunks were our pets for the weekend. The docks are convenient for your boats or pontoons. The fishing is phenomenal and beautiful! Definitely recommend for hiking, site seeing, swimming at the beach, fishing and other things 😊

Just Right

Smaller campground located in two harbors.  Super nice personnel. Clean. Gravel sites with grass. The lake is right there.It shows $10 fee on the dyrt but it’s $46 including tax for an RV with the electric and water no sewer.

Family Friendly

The sites weren’t particularly large, the singular available vault toilet for the tenting sites was usually in disarray and the general noise level was surprising….but even with all of these unexpected speed bumps the trip was great!

Everyone was super friendly and I appreciated being able to have my 3-legged companion along for the adventure. Sites were clearly marked and easy to find, along with trails to the beach area. Lots of families with children, so if you’re looking for a place to bring your littles, this should be on your list.