The best DRIVE IN camping near
Hornbeck , LOUISIANA

Most Recent Hornbeck Camping Reviews
Hideout Rv camp ground

Great Rv camp ground friendly people

Great escape

I went here with two friends for a long weekend. We are tent campers, and it was great for us. The bathrooms were kept very clean and restocked with toilet paper daily. Most of the campsites along the water have a little beach that you can take advantage of. Of it were warmer, we definitely would have gone swimming. Highly recommend!

Busy for December

Meh. I had higher hopes for this campground. Showers were heated, but the water was cold and you had to continually push the button. Sites were large but not private. I had a lake site and the people across the road parked their fishing boat on the shore in front of my campsite and were constantly walking right through my site. Sunset and sunrise were beautiful. I did not see any Eagles.

Weirdly Spaced FHU Sites

We camped in Loop A during the week of Thanksgiving 2020 by making reservations 134 days prior to arriving. Very friendly volunteer gate attendants, but not sure when they work the gate as we tried to find them twice in one day and no one around and no info on how to contact/find someone, even tho there are four different campsites marked“attendant”. Overall, very quiet campground the week of Thanksgiving except for the highway noise from Highway 255, which was loud! Nine site FHU loop where sites are crammed together, weirdly and poorly laid out and spaced. No vegetation between sites so no privacy here what-so-ever! We could hear everyone’s conversations, even some that were inside their RV! Back-in site 12 was a tricky challenge to get into due to the terrain. First a dip before a narrow entrance over drainage ditch pipe, then a steep grade which almost had us scrapping the asphalt as we saw evidence of many that had previously. The narrow asphalt parking pad is deteriorating on the utility hook up side leaving a 6-8 inch drop off, so not very forgiving! Most asphalt site pads in this loop are in poor condition. Site 12 was not level side-to-side. Site 12 also has two wooden enclosures(wooden fence) that house utility panel boxes. At first, we thought we had our own outhouse! There is a slight view of the lake from Site 12. Recreation.gov states this site is"full shade", which we disagree. Our concrete picnic table on a concrete pad was fairly close to the parking pad. Our site also included a rotting shelter over the table, a rotting wooden bar-height prep table(aka fish cleaning table), a wooden lantern pole and a metal fire pit with a grilling grate that was one big tripping hazard due to the concrete slab the pit was placed on was broken up and huge hunks of concrete displaced around the metal fire pit. What a mess. Toilet/shower facility just for this campground loop fairly clean, but not serviced every day(during the week). Tent sites are along the lake in Loop A. There is a significant drop-off down to the water’s edge. Evidence of tent campsites that had been washed out/destroyed in recent flooding. Not a good stargazing location due to other close by campers with numerous outdoor lights burning all night! Super friendly squirrels that ate from our hands. No other wildlife sighting during our 4 night stay the week of Thanksgiving. Sam Rayburn Lake is beautiful. Park has a boat ramp and a large ramp parking area. No firewood for sale in this park. A bait shop, Valero fuel station, liquor store and a couple restaurants within a 5-minute drive of the Park entrance. Jasper has a Tractor Supply and a small Walmart. Lufkin has most chain restaurants, Lowes, Super Walmart, etc. Two bars AT&T signal

Fabulous, secret

Wonderful camping , nice campsites , very well taken care of . Lived the days here,

Great Camping Coming Soon!

I stumbled upon this gem and can not wait until it opens! It looked to be close when I was there in October, but I'm sure the hurricanes that passed through delayed progress. Premium lake front spots, lake access, boat dock and slips, a restaurant and bar, bathhouses, etc. and the spots are all level concrete pads. The lake is pristine in this area and you can walk right to the "beach". Really excited for this place!

Best camping around!

South Toledo Bend State Park is located near Leesville on Toledo Bend lake. The lake is known for Bass Fishing and is listed as one of the best bass fishing lakes in the country. I’ve also read that the lake has great areas for scuba diving, if you are into that. The park is not far from Fort Polk, and offers nice opportunities for camping, hiking, boating, fishing, kayaking, etc. The campsites are mostly all heavily wooded, and spacious. Plenty of room between sites. They have several waterfront sites with hookups, but the I terror sites were nice also, and most have a lake view. The park has docks for fishing and boat launch, and a fish cleaning station. Theres a nice playground too. There’s also rental cabins that looked really nice. The park was still being cleaned up from hurricane Laura, but was still very nice. The best place to camp I’ve seen around this area!

Not my cup of tea

JD’s RV park is located near Fort Polk in Leesville. The park is right on the road, and you will hear the traffic. The property is just a field and could use some improvements. The road needs gravel and trash was piled up. Like most rv parks, there’s long term residents here. If you needed to be nearby the base, you could stay here for a night, but this is not a spot for a nice weekend stay. Toledo Bend lake is not far away, and I saw some nice camping areas there. This spot could be a decent place for a stay over with some clean up and improvements.

Convenient to Fort Polk

Arlington RV park is located in Leesville, close to Fort Polk. The rv park is right off the road, and you can hear cars going by easily from anywhere in the rv park. This is a true rv park, but was fairly clean and maintained compared to others in the area. This is not a place to go if you are looking to have a nice relaxing camping experience, you would want to be on the Toledo bend lake for that, but would be sufficient if you have a camper and needed to be near the base, or in Leesville for some reason. Like several rv parks, Arlington has long term residents, with a few sites for people passing through.

Better than some in the area

Pelican Acres RV park is located near Fort Polk, and Toledo Bend Lake. The RV park is right off the road, and is a better choice than several of the rv parks in the area. The sites all look fairly level, and the property was well maintained. Like most rv parks in the area, this one has a number of long term residents, but this one was a little bigger and nicer than most I saw. If you were passing through the area, or needed to be near the base, this would be a good place to stop for a day or two, but if you’re looking for a nice relaxing camp spot, you’ll want to look closer to the lake.